PDA

View Full Version : Hantavirus worry from cleaning shed

Deepseathree
28-03-17, 14:26
I know statistically the chances of me having hantavirus are unlikely but that's just a general number. Yesterday I went to my shed and when I opened it I saw at pile of mouse feces, probably a handful. I didn't disturb it and kept the door open. My fiancé and I both went in and rummaged through the some things and took stuff out of the shed. But stopped shortly after and decided we needed face masks. I went and bought a Facebook and spent a short time longer in there but was still weary as it was a p95 respirator and not a p100(p95 filters out 95% of particles). So I put everything back in the shed and stopped. Now I know that statistic would change with me as I've put myself around the mouse poop. Usually numbers help me rationalize things but in this case it's not helping that much. I know that only 5-30% of deer mice carry the virus and the virus has a short life span of up to a week in the feces so that creates a low possibility. Plus I'm in VA where there has only been 1 confirmed case and that makes it seem even less likely but that doesn't quell the worry. I feel as if I'm just sitting and waiting for impending doom.

Cakelady
28-03-17, 16:43
I havent heard of that before but prob because we are in the UK. Its the sort of thing that would worry me although the chances of it are very very slim & I know my hubby wouldn't bother at all! Sorry I'm not much help! I feel an anxiety creeping in as we are in a bit of a tick hot spot & the cats bring them in. I am panicking about how we are going to avoid ticks & lyme disease this season :unsure:xx

Lollymandy
28-03-17, 16:58
I just googled it because I have never heard of that either. Try not to worry you took precaution and wore a mask. Is your partner worried about it?

Deepseathree
03-04-17, 21:11
Thanks for the responses. It's rare so statistically chances are exceedingly rare but that doesn't stop the worry. Cakelady we have a bad problem with ticks as well. Our cats can sometimes bring four at a time on them. Last year our daughter actually contracted a tick borne illness.