PDA

View Full Version : Pain under left rib

countrygirl
28-03-17, 19:33
I have severe spinal problems which can give me pain distant from the spine and in the past have had quite alot of tests and hospital visits for abdominal pain etc with no cause found other than possibly severe ibs or referred spinal pain!

I have had stiff and painful ribs for years but 2 weeks ago i woke up at 4am with bad pain under my left rib into my upper back and then got lots of burps and wind and toilet visits so not sure if its a digestion issue or a mix of referred spine pain and ibs.

Saw my Gp today who thankfully didn't fob me off and took it seriously and I am having blood tests for pancreas, liver and full blood count. She said she didn't want to assume it was referred spine pain without eliminating other reasons.

So on one hand I am happy she is doing the bloods but still worried about pancreatic cancer as I know it is so hard to diagnose.

I have hiatus hernia and gallstones for past 30 years but drug keeps the HH happy and the gallstones are fine if I don't eat pastry,. I usually ahve ultrasound every 2 years and it is now 2 years since last one so am hoping GP will send me for one after the blood tests.

So I am worrying about pancreatic cancer of course or bowel or stomach cancer!

Carnation
28-03-17, 20:51
Countrygirl, I can't give you a diagnosis, but I can tell you that I suffer with pain in the same area. And, it comes with a lot of burping and wind.
I know I sometimes rush my food or go too long in between meals.
I also suffer with acid reflux and thought it could be that.
Mine comes and goes, but it is a sharp pain.

I think the blood tests will help you to rule out some of your worries. x

Temascos
28-03-17, 21:39
I had a similar worry a while ago, for me personally it ended up being acid reflux due to posture and diet, it can be very insideous. It's kinda gone away on it's own but I think you're doing the right thing by running it by a professional. And from the sounds of it she wants to be sure so at least you know sooner rather than later what it is causing the problem and hopefully you get some guidelines on where to go next.

It's always tempting in a fearful sort of way to go to the worst case scenario and then research every little thing that will happen to you, but do what you can to help yourself so at least you know at the very least you are doing everything in your power. Be it stretches, any diet changes you might need, etc.

In the meantime, do the tests and keep your head held high, easier said than done but live your life as much as you can. :)