PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety worst in the morning

Mango2
29-03-17, 12:59
Hello

Can anybody relate to this? Currently suffering of a new attack of anxiety, mainly Health Anxiety. Mild tingling off and on in my feet and hands hans thrown me into an MS-fear.

My anxiety about it makes me wake up at night in sweats, where I toss and turn for about 30-60 minutes before I fall asleep again.
Wake up in the morning tired as hell and worried about my symptoms until I start to feel better and calmer at about lunch. Then I feel relatively calm until I go to bed and the whole thing starts again.

Been doing som guided relaxation via Spotify, and I notice that I'm so tense I really have a hard time lying still. My heart beats fast and it feels like I'm a pressure cooker.
Also I keep having negative thoughts, catastrophizing about my life and family...

Well, I suppose my question is, is it normal to feel like crap in the mornings?

vapourtrail
29-03-17, 13:18
Hey Mango!

I can relate. My anxiety is worse in the mornings...I have no idea why this is as I do not know the way the brain works. But as the day goes on it usually subsides a little, maybe this is due to distractions from life taking my mind off it and stopping me focusing on the anxieties and worries and I can start to rationalise a little more.

Stay positive, try and remember that how we feel in the morning, this overwhelming anxiety will subside and it is only a "feeling" that eventually can be controlled and over time, I think the morning anxiety will gradually get less.

Perhaps start to distract yourself early on after waking up :)

Be well and all the best to you.

Mango2
29-03-17, 13:28
Thanks for your reply vapourtrail!

It really is strange, when the anxiety is at its worst, it really feels like the end of the world. When it starts to subside it's as if a tight belt is released and and one can start breathing again..

KeeKee
29-03-17, 13:30
Mine isn't but I have read it can be worse in mornings due to cortisol being highest when we wake up or something like that.

up a ladder
29-03-17, 13:36

It really is strange, when the anxiety is at its worst, it really feels like the end of the world. When it starts to subside it's as if a tight belt is released and and one can start breathing again..

Mango. I am sitting here (on a work conference call). Since about 07:30 I have been a mess. I cry and feel so anxious and really feel there is no way I will pull through this. Yet, by around 13:30-14:00 I start to feel more alive, usually by four o clock, I am fine (usually, not always) The evenings are usually blissfully anxiety free (ish). I originally saw this as nasty part of the problem, but having the evenings off as to say keeps me hopefull. Saying that, by 07:30 tomorrow morning I know I will be feeling crap again.

vapourtrail
29-03-17, 16:32

No problem Mango! I am exactly the same, so you are not alone. And your way of explaining it is exactly right. The belt starts to loosen as the day goes on.

I think what we need to try and do, I know this is easy to say, I say it to myself all the time, but we have to try and focus and remember that belt loosening feeling. While we are in the midst of the anxious hell, remember that yesterday at 4pm or whenever, we felt mostly okay....and that will be coming again soon :)

Mango2
30-03-17, 09:53
Well it's late morning now, feeling like crap... so tired, no appetite what so ever.
Every morning I wake up and check if the pins and needles in my foot and hand are gone, and automatically they show up, like pushing a button.
Starting to rationalize my symptoms, and thinking they may be caused by overtraining, as I have been working out almost daily the past months, and that coupled with worry over exams may have strained my nervous system.

Foolishly I googled this and came across a post with a woman who is a marathon runner, and has been experiencing, tingling, vertigo, numbness..
As I read on, I thought, of course this is overtraining in her case. She was running 60 miles per week...Well... after reading the post to the end it turned out to be MS.... and my anxiety just skyrocketed after reading that... Going to stay away completely from Google now...and if I can't resist I'll google "Health Anxiety"

Yesterday evening before going to bed, I was feeling "OK". Had short periods of no real anxiety, and I noticed my symptoms/pins and needles subsided...
Thinking this CAN'T be MS. My symptoms come and go. 2 minutes here, gone for 5 minutes, come back. Massive anxiety... more or less convincing myself that this IS anxiety. I'm putting stress on myself right now in my life. NO WAY is this MS.

Wake up in the morning... this HAS TO BE MS. There can be NO OTHER explanation!...
This can't be anxiety!

Hope I'll get better during the day....