PDA

View Full Version : WRAP (recovery) and Mindfulness

Mike B
29-03-17, 14:16
Hi folks.
Have been doing a WRAP course for a few weeks. I have found it interesting but not sure if it is for people with severe depressive illnesses. I have also been looking into doing a Mindfulness course, but I have heard it is not good for people with GAD because of our difficulty in being in the now.

Have you any experiences or help you can give me in how to best take advantage of these courses?

MyNameIsTerry
31-03-17, 05:58
If you look at MBCT, it has proven clinical evidence to support it's use in recurrent depression. It has a strong Mindfulness component to it.

If you think about how Mindfulness works on getting you to accept your current experience from a position of non judgement, doesn't it sound hard for someone with ingrained depression whose negative thinking patterns are holding them back in recovery?

So, why is that different to GAD where persistent daily worry is making it hard to live in the moment? Wouldn't they both be hard to get past in Mindfulness study?

Basically, I mean to say don't be put off. I have GAD & OCD and it has definitely helped me a lot. It was hard earlier on though and I spent 2 months doing it daily with little more than the effect of some relaxation exercises, and that took weeks to feel as my focus was already on my body & breathing in a negative way.

The difference was really noticed at 6 months. A cognitive shift.

Mike B
31-03-17, 14:23
Thanks for that Terry. I will have a look at the links you have sent.
I do try to meditate using positive affirmations and soothing music etc. However no matter how relaxed I am feeling, or how deep my breathing is, the anxieties, both in intrusive thoughts and physical things like sweats, will still attack like phobias (hope that makes sense).