PDA

View Full Version : doctors and the use of meds

braindead
30-03-17, 11:29
i have chronic anxiety, my meds are lorazepam, mirtazapine, olanzapine and pregabalin , they just script you and off you go. i am sure i dont need 2 of these meds but till i fall more ill will they see, i feel rough . the pregabalin is suppose to replace the olanzapine, i am on a cross over.Olanzapine has a massive hole on you and is brutal to get off, i am so sick of being tested on i cannot get any lower:weep::weep::weep:

Bainster1
01-04-17, 19:32
Hello there, I can't speak from experience but I hope you don't mind me replying with just my thoughts on it.
It does seem like a lot of medication to me, have you mentioned to the GP that you're concerned about it?
If you're taking all that and you still feel as low as this then you need to get in there and make it clear, for the last few years I've given the doctors respect and taken what was given.....the only time anything changed was recently when everything came to a head and I went in there in shaking and in floods of tears struggling to breathe.

Didn't know I was going to do it, it just happened.
I apologise if you've already been in and done this but being assertive is the way to go as it's your life after all.

Remember there's always people you can talk to on here.

Best of luck , Robert

snowghost57
02-04-17, 16:58
I agree with Brainster, you are on a lot of medication. I tried Zoloft for 20 days. I couldn't tolerate the side effects and weaned myself off of them. I was only taking 25mg to start with. I knew I needed help as a life event had me crying for 2 weeks and my brain would just not stop with intrusive thoughts. I will admit the Zoloft helped. It made me sleep a lot, I was on hydroxyzine for sleep. I thought that med was making me feel like a slug so I stopped that. I was still on the Zoloft and felt like a zombie, I wasn't bathing, taking care of the house or my pets. I was sitting on the lap top reading posts here, crying and finally had enough of the nausea and upset stomach, it was waking me up at 4am to rush to the bathroom. (tmi) So I cut back and then stopped completely. I felt great, it was like my anxiety was gone. The doctor said that the Zoloft probably helped my brain reset it's circuits. I am going to really have to start looking hard for a job as my savings are low and I'm scared of the anxiety coming back. I am going to see how this week goes and use the tools I've learned from CBT therapy by focusing on the now. Doing one task at a time and not mult-task. Feel free to PM me if you would like, I've made two friends here that way. I think chatting with people that have the same symptoms help.

braindead
02-04-17, 17:22
I agree with Brainster, you are on a lot of medication. I tried Zoloft for 20 days. I couldn't tolerate the side effects and weaned myself off of them. I was only taking 25mg to start with. I knew I needed help as a life event had me crying for 2 weeks and my brain would just not stop with intrusive thoughts. I will admit the Zoloft helped. It made me sleep a lot, I was on hydroxyzine for sleep. I thought that med was making me feel like a slug so I stopped that. I was still on the Zoloft and felt like a zombie, I wasn't bathing, taking care of the house or my pets. I was sitting on the lap top reading posts here, crying and finally had enough of the nausea and upset stomach, it was waking me up at 4am to rush to the bathroom. (tmi) So I cut back and then stopped completely. I felt great, it was like my anxiety was gone. The doctor said that the Zoloft probably helped my brain reset it's circuits. I am going to really have to start looking hard for a job as my savings are low and I'm scared of the anxiety coming back. I am going to see how this week goes and use the tools I've learned from CBT therapy by focusing on the now. Doing one task at a time and not mult-task. Feel free to PM me if you would like, I've made two friends here that way. I think chatting with people that have the same symptoms help.

1 dont go to the doctors with mental health problems i have a psychiatrist plus a visiting phy nurse, I dont think the 25mg of Zoloft made you better, lowest dose is 50mg normal dose 100 to 150mg high dose 200mg. you probably had a bit of nervous tension thar resolved itself . or the cbt helped you

braindead
08-04-17, 10:04
off the mirtazapine no problem with the help of 300MG LYRICA , only OLANZAPINE detox moving up to 600 LYRICA to do that, Then that will be my meds 6 mg lorazepam 600mg LYRICA Thats go rid of all the meds they gave to drag me out my mega breakdown, hopefully i will get some semi-normality till the NEXT TIME , o yes the will be a next time there always is:wacko::wacko::whistles:

Mermaid16
08-04-17, 10:32
I am on similar meds and a similar amount. I agree that it is a lot of medication, I am on five. In my case, we are trying to cut down on the medication, but have been unable to do that until I stabalise. I have young children and I work full time, so we are trying to keep me functioning, stabalise and then reduce. I also have chronic anxious depression. My other option is to go into hospital for a month, have three sessions of ect a week and cut down on my medication. At the moment, trying to stabalise is the option I'm choosing, as I was in hospital only in November. I think psychs try to do what they can to help and they keep trying hoping to find something that works. This is just my opinion. Good luck with everything.

braindead
08-04-17, 18:33
I am on similar meds and a similar amount. I agree that it is a lot of medication, I am on five. In my case, we are trying to cut down on the medication, but have been unable to do that until I stabalise. I have young children and I work full time, so we are trying to keep me functioning, stabalise and then reduce. I also have chronic anxious depression. My other option is to go into hospital for a month, have three sessions of ect a week and cut down on my medication. At the moment, trying to stabalise is the option I'm choosing, as I was in hospital only in November. I think psychs try to do what they can to help and they keep trying hoping to find something that works. This is just my opinion. Good luck with everything.AT CHRISTMAS i told them no more trails for some time like you i was wasted, i am going into lyrica big time now it seems to working but the meds i was on short term i am ditching something it bloating me up , bet your life if Lyrica is working its that

snowghost57
08-04-17, 19:48
1 dont go to the doctors with mental health problems i have a psychiatrist plus a visiting phy nurse, I dont think the 25mg of Zoloft made you better, lowest dose is 50mg normal dose 100 to 150mg high dose 200mg. you probably had a bit of nervous tension thar resolved itself . or the cbt helped you

Oh trust me dear I had more then a bit of nervous tension. I had a life changing event, actually several over a period of several months. Daughter almost killed in a car accident, etc. The last incident, left me crying for weeks, I couldn't function, I wasn't taking care of myself, I had no desire to do anything, I sat on the lap top all day trying to fiugre out what was wrong with me, that led me to this forum. When I found myself crying in the shower and the intrusive thoughts were out of control I knew I needed assistance. I have tried Wellbutrin, Prozac, Remeron and Zoloft. They all left me feeling like a fruit loop. When I spoke to the nurse, I insisted on 25mg as I know that I am super, super sensitive to medication. Maybe its because I'm a petite person, who knows? I can't even tolerate caffeine. I sometimes wonder if I'm the only person on the planet that doesn't drink coffee!

The medication wrapped my brain into a cocoon which enabled me to push out the intrusive thoughts.

I, too was amazed that after 20 days my anxiety is gone. After 40 years of living this way it felt strange not to have intrusive thoughts. The doctor feels that the medication gave my brain the time to slow down and reset my "circuits". Who knows, all I know is that it helped and I will not go back to medication if I can help it. I hope you find the right combination of medication that helps. I think medication should be used on a temporary basis in order to learn how to deal with life. For others I guess they may not work. We are all individuals, that is what make this world so unique.