PDA

View Full Version : Is this right? Something is bothering me?

Ljj44577
30-03-17, 16:30
Something is bothering me. I submitted two documents for a project. When I submitted it, it said 43 KB. As soon as I saw the number 43, my worrying returned all of a sudden. I feel an urge to correct my obsession. I keep associating the number 43 with bad luck or something really bad happening. I want to correct my obsession by submitting another document to make my anxiety go away for sure. I feel very compelled to "fix" this problem in so my anxiety can be reduced.

Is it right for me to correct my obsession? Do you think I should correct my obsession? Am I just feeding into what OCD "wants" out of me? What are your opinions? What is the proper reaction to these obsessions and/or compulsions? Any input?

Kuatir
30-03-17, 16:35
I don't know a lot about the treatment of OCD, but I would say that you shouldn't correct it.

MyNameIsTerry
03-04-17, 07:34
Does doing something from being driven by fear, ever really make fear go away? That's the question to ask. The answer can be that it alleviates the immediate fear, but like reassurance seeking behaviour, you have to keep doing it.

Isn't it better that you find yourself not needing to be driven to do something? That's where you want to be.

Is the number 43 truly bad luck? What about the number 34? What about 1, 2, 4, 79,. 155, etc? Why not them?

The only difference is that your have built a core belief that number 43 is something to worry about.

Should you correct it? No, it's fear driving you to irrationally want to. That's a compulsion. Compulsions reinforce obsessions.

However, it's not so simple because resisting compulsions is something you do as part of recovery, so it might not be possible right now.