PDA

View Full Version : How can I stop Health anxiety from taking over my life?

Libra96
30-03-17, 21:30
Hi all,
I was just wondering what to do to help calm my health anxiety. There's always something in the back of my mind stopping me from being happy or calm, but other days are worse than others. I think the main issue is that I also have a terrible anxiety associated with the doctors, so often avoid it because it makes me panic and doctors make me uncomfortable, meaning I put off going, meaning I spend a lot of time googling and also worrying that if I do go to the doctors that I will be misdiagnosed. I worry endlessly at the fact I can see my heartbeat in my left breast and my stomach. Then having some stomach/bowel problems every now and then I panic that its serious but by panicking I make both problems worse. My health anxiety also extends to other people and gets out of control. My brother has occasional nosebleeds, always has, but when he had two quite close together the other week I panicked it was serious. Then the other day I was reading about ovarian cancer and now I notice how often my mum says she feels bloated or full after a meal and it sends me into a panic. She is in the menopause and has experienced a bit of bloating often for the past couple years at least, and she has recently started a healthier diet of eating less, so maybe that's why she now feels full sometimes after dinner. I think I can her frequently saying she's full after dinner, but I suppose its not unusual I just notice now because of what I read and I feel depressed and panicked over the last few days scared something is wrong, all because of something I read.

Its majorly getting in the way of my life. When I should be writing essays, I procrastinate and cant concentrate because i'm worrying about my health or other peoples sometimes both. I'm behind on university work because of the worry effecting my concentration. Its out of control and sometimes I Just can't calm down. Does anyone have any advice?

Hannabubble
31-03-17, 00:03
I can't really offer you any advice, my friend, as I'm unfortunately going through something very similar. Right down to the fear of doctors. It really doesn't help that my doctor is completely useless, so are all of them in the local doctor's surgery!

I hope we can find a way to relieve ourselves from this life destroying condition and live happy and normal lives!

I could also do with some advice on this.

Libra96
31-03-17, 01:22
I can't really offer you any advice, my friend, as I'm unfortunately going through something very similar. Right down to the fear of doctors. It really doesn't help that my doctor is completely useless, so are all of them in the local doctor's surgery!

I hope we can find a way to relieve ourselves from this life destroying condition and live happy and normal lives!

I could also do with some advice on this.

Hi! I completely understand you, all of my local doctors are useless as well another reason I avoid going. They honestly don't seem bothered and it's a real effort to get them to take anything seriously. Just wish I had the bravery to go more and that they were a bit nicer/helpful! I hate having health anxiety it's awful