PDA

View Full Version : Can you catch cancer from dried blood

emmalj0
30-03-17, 21:43
I work in hospital and I was photocopying some notes of a cancer patient who is terminal. As I turned the page of the maternity notes they were blood stained and my open cut on my finger touched it. I'm paranoid now. I don't know if I would be at any risk. Does anyone know. Thanks

BikerMatt
30-03-17, 21:48
No definitely not. You get cancer not catch it.

Clydesdale Epona
30-03-17, 22:14
Cancer is not catchable, it's something that happens inside us and its not caught through blood, saliva ect like infections are. so in short, nope you'll be fine x

All the best :hugs:

emmalj0
31-03-17, 06:07
I'm in such a panic as the blood touched my open wound which is quite deep on my thumb. It says on Google can b possible via blood transfusion. The blood was dry would that make a difference. Iv been fine lately now this setting me back

ElectricAlice
31-03-17, 11:55
[/COLOR]Cancer is NOT contagious. A healthy person cannot “catch” cancer from someone who has it. There is no evidence that close contact or things like sex, kissing, touching, sharing meals, blood or breathing the same air can spread cancer from one person to another.

Ben1989
31-03-17, 12:02
Cancer is an unnatural growth of cells. Therefore, you cannot 'catch' it from anything external. Impossible.

Without meaning to scare you but you can catch other things. Just make sure their bloods are clean (i.e. no HIV, Hepatitis etc).

ElectricAlice
31-03-17, 12:35
Cancer is an unnatural growth of cells. Therefore, you cannot 'catch' it from anything external. Impossible.

Without meaning to scare you but you can catch other things. Just make sure their bloods are clean (i.e. no HIV, Hepatitis etc).

I'd imagine it would be pretty unlikely even from the description of the event and the fact it was dried blood on a piece of paper...

Gary A
31-03-17, 12:39
I'm in such a panic as the blood touched my open wound which is quite deep on my thumb. It says on Google can b possible via blood transfusion. The blood was dry would that make a difference. Iv been fine lately now this setting me back

I'm willing to bet that google says no such thing. You cannot catch cancer, the very notion is completely and utterly absurd.

GlassPinata
31-03-17, 12:40
There are a few potentially cancer-causing viruses that are contagious (HPV can cause cervical cancer, hepatitis can cause liver cancer, H Pylori may increase your risk of stomach cancer) but even that is not a sure thing; many millions of people have these viruses and never develop cancer.

But most cancers are not contagious and at any rate, you can catch pretty much nothing from dried blood. Viruses and bacteria die quickly outside the body.

Best wishes.

emmalj0
31-03-17, 13:15
OK thanks everyone. The whole situation has set me off a 21 year old, complaining of thigh pain year and half, had ultrasound and x ray no abnormalities detected. Now it's been found after giving birth four days ago she had sarcoma of thigh which has now spread to lungs and breast. Iv had a lump many years and I know nothing has changed and this poor girl got progressively worse but I thought ultrasound was good? Now I'm doubting again Mines been missed

PASchoolSyndrome
31-03-17, 14:12
I laughed a little bit when I read this title.

ALL cancers are not contagious. Yes, some are caused by the chronic inflammation certain viruses will give you (HPV, hep B/C) but these viruses themselves do not cause cancer. Most people generally clear the virus without any issue, or medication clears it with no issue. And some people get cancer from these viruses (help B with the chronic inflammation, certain strains of HPV are highly oncogenic) but that depends on many factors if that could even happen in your body.

Rest assured. You're simply overrreacting.

GlassPinata
01-04-17, 15:55
I laughed a little bit when I read this title.

ALL cancers are not contagious. Yes, some are caused by the chronic inflammation certain viruses will give you (HPV, hep B/C) but these viruses themselves do not cause cancer. Most people generally clear the virus without any issue, or medication clears it with no issue. And some people get cancer from these viruses (help B with the chronic inflammation, certain strains of HPV are highly oncogenic) but that depends on many factors if that could even happen in your body.

Rest assured. You're simply overrreacting.

Is it all about inflammation, then?
I've been reading lately about anti-inflammation diets, how some foods have anti-inflammatory properties, etc. I wasn't sure if that was real or just another diet fad.
If it's true about inflammation causing cancer, then maybe I'll try one of those diets, to reduce my risk.

PASchoolSyndrome
01-04-17, 17:16
Is it all about inflammation, then?
I've been reading lately about anti-inflammation diets, how some foods have anti-inflammatory properties, etc. I wasn't sure if that was real or just another diet fad.
If it's true about inflammation causing cancer, then maybe I'll try one of those diets, to reduce my risk.

For the most part, that's where a lot of research has pointed to! Hep C/B causes the chronic inflammation which then leads constant damage causing cells to turn over, which leads to way more opportunities to mutate, which can lead to cancer. HPV is oncogenic itself but there are so many factors involved individually that to say "contagious" is a long stretch. That's one of the reasons they advise against obesity for cancer prevention because it can lead a person to a chronic inflammatory state.

I hestitate with special diets to prevent cancer beyond the typical well balanced diet. There's a theory that cancer grows in an acidic state so the alkaline diet is big now.. but your body runs from a pH of 7.3-7.4 and anything above or belo that literally puts you in a coma and death so the basic science behind that is just... wrong. I attended an oncogenic nutrition lecture and basically the best diet of fruit and vegetables with minimal animal fat and whole grain carbs is what they reccomend but would never tell someone that what they're doing, as long as they remain nourished, is wrong.

That being said I don't think there's anything wrong with making sure you eat healthy and adding anti-inflammatory or antioxidant foods to your diet! Cumin and ginger are great anti-inflammatory, and delicious so I'd say give it a try!! And just because there is no evidence *yet* doesn't mean it's not still good for you! I'm not a nutritionist but as long as it's well balanced I'd try anything to prevent disease!