PDA

View Full Version : Attention Twitchers

pablo0977
31-03-17, 11:24
Have you evaluated your diet? A nutritionist friend whom I confided in (about my twitches but not my anxiety FYI) asked if I was magnesium and or vitamin d deficient. My last blood test did reveal vitamin d deficiency, but my magnesium levels were not checked. He said a common symptom of one or both of these deficiencies is muscle twitches. Most people probably wouldn't be bothered by it, but a person with health anxiety could have a field day with a symptom like this.

Word of caution, don't go swallowing a ton of supplements without the advice of a professional, but maybe look at your diet. As I am using an app to track my calories, it was easy to see I am not getting enough magnesium. Now this doesn't mean I don't have health anxiety (I most certainly do), but getting my vitamins and minerals in line couldn't hurt. I think we tend to forget the role of food and nutrition when pondering our health, that's all. This in no way means that I can ignore my obsessive tendencies in regard to my health fears.

Josh1234
31-03-17, 15:00
Yes, and it made no difference. Benign fasciculation syndrome is a complete mystery. I've just accepted it and moved on, tbh.

Mommyof2boys
31-03-17, 15:06
I eat tons of chocolate and cheese and drink tons of milk, good sources of magnesium and vitamin d. I highly doubt I am deficient in any of those minerals. I did get a few blood tests and will be reviewing them Monday and I will let you guys know if I was deficient in anything. I hope like hell I am. Any easy explanation of this that isn't neurological and is treatable would be amazing

pablo0977
31-03-17, 15:43
This wasn't meant to suggest a cure all. Anxiety is most certainly the underlying cause (the anxiety BFS correlation is very high). Being properly balanced with regard to nutrition would only be a piece of the puzzle. I am not an expert, but I just thought it was worth looking into.

nivekc251
31-03-17, 16:17
I've read about gluten intolerance and other vitamin deficiencies but I'm with Josh. BFS is a complete mystery and I Just ignore it.

BrokenGirl
31-03-17, 16:25
I eat tons of chocolate and cheese and drink tons of milk, good sources of magnesium and vitamin d. I highly doubt I am deficient in any of those minerals.

I also eat lots of chocolate, cheese and milk. I had my bloods done 2 weeks ago and I'm vitamin d deficient, and b12 as well :ohmy:

So i guess I'm just saying you can't assume you are or are not deficient in anything just going by what you eat. You need to be tested to be sure.

pablo0977
31-03-17, 16:31
I also eat lots of chocolate, cheese and milk. I had my bloods done 2 weeks ago and I'm vitamin d deficient, and b12 as well :ohmy:

So i guess I'm just saying you can't assume you are or are not deficient in anything just going by what you eat. You need to be tested to be sure.

There are also disorders and relationships that can cause our body to not absorb magnesium and or stop producing vitamin d. High levels of calcium, for example.

BFS is just anxiety, plain and simple. It should be obvious since the number of people here that report this symptom exponentially exceeds the percentage seen in the general public.

Every year we are learning more and more about how our bodies utilize, produce, and absorb vitamins and minerals. To say it isn't possibly be part of the overall picture is foolish imo.

nivekc251
31-03-17, 16:41
Yea I've read something about the magnesium inhibitors in our body going into overdrive due to being in a constant anxious state, and also when you get your magnesium tested through blood it's irrelevant when looking for a magnesium deficiency because your blood only absorbs 1% of the magnesium your body needs. I'm not sure how accurate any of this is and it could be complete nonsense. It's just things that I have read lol. It's good to take a daily vitamin to be sure , because it usually has a safe amount of everything so you won't take something so much it becomes toxic. Be careful with magnesium I've read that it can be bad on the kidneys if you have previous damage to them.

pablo0977
31-03-17, 16:50
Yep. Bottom line is make sure you are eating properly. Even if it's just so you can worry about your health for many years to come :)

MyNameIsTerry
01-04-17, 06:19
But do you understand magnesium supplements? The many forms of magnesium? And why what it says on the bottle is often nowhere near what your body can even try to get from the supplement?

There are lots of issues to work through so you have to research.

So, what do you know about "elemental" magnesium? That's what counts since it's the maximum value.

If you are looking to supplement vitamin D, you need to understand vitamin K2 as well because vitamin D over certain levels (which can be found in supplements) need certain levels of vitamin K2 to supplement them or your calcium isn't directed to where it needs to go and can result in calcification in places you really don't want it.

And which vitamin D? Doctors often used to prescribe D2, until they learned it was causing more problems than it solved, but it's D3 you want. It's far superior.

There are some good threads about how to get around these supplement pitfalls. Just ask if you want some links.

---------- Post added at 06:19 ---------- Previous post was at 03:45 ----------

Yea I've read something about the magnesium inhibitors in our body going into overdrive due to being in a constant anxious state, and also when you get your magnesium tested through blood it's irrelevant when looking for a magnesium deficiency because your blood only absorbs 1% of the magnesium your body needs. I'm not sure how accurate any of this is and it could be complete nonsense. It's just things that I have read lol. It's good to take a daily vitamin to be sure , because it usually has a safe amount of everything so you won't take something so much it becomes toxic. Be careful with magnesium I've read that it can be bad on the kidneys if you have previous damage to them.

It depends on the form of magnesium. Typically we ingest it as a salt form and the human body struggles to absorb salts. That's probably where you read that low %.

There are more absorbable forms due to chelation with an amino acid that pulls it with it and the body easily deals with aminos. Then there are skin absorbable forms and tiny forms (Angstrom measurement).

pablo0977
01-04-17, 15:34
Exactly. You seem to know a lot more about it than I do. Where are those links?

lilire
01-04-17, 20:11
Hi! Has anyone tried oral magnesium? I started today with only 200mg.
What can I expect?
-19 yo female. Been twitching everyday, body wide for 3 months-

MyNameIsTerry
01-04-17, 20:32
Hi! Has anyone tried oral magnesium? I started today with only 200mg.
What can I expect?
-19 yo female. Been twitching everyday, body wide for 3 months-

But what type because they all differ? And does it have other things in on top that mean the mg is less?

lilire
01-04-17, 20:46
The supplement just says "magnesium", with 200 mg each pill, along with some vitamins

MyNameIsTerry
01-04-17, 20:57
Does it say in the ingredients listed? Something like citrate, orotate, etc?

I know some supplements are really vague, it's one of the problems in selecting magnesium that may help, but you can't get pure magnesium as it's always a form of one off the many and inside that 200mg there is an "elemental" value which is the true maximum of magnesium your body can try to absorb.

If you can't spot anything on the label, do you have a link to show the supplement? I might be able to work it out with some Googling.

lilire
02-04-17, 00:12
It says magnesium Stearate.
Just came back from a 3 mile walk and havent twitched since then... Maybe exercise does work...?
And thats the level I am twitching, for me an hour without a twitch its like heaven, I just want to make them stop!

lilire
03-04-17, 18:56
Update
I have been taking magnesium for 3 days now. Seems to help a little, but today my eyelid is twitching like crazy...
I just want them to go away:mad:

MyNameIsTerry
04-04-17, 04:41
It says magnesium Stearate.
Just came back from a 3 mile walk and havent twitched since then... Maybe exercise does work...?
And thats the level I am twitching, for me an hour without a twitch its like heaven, I just want to make them stop!

Stearate is for another function.

Is there a brand name? I can look it up.

---------- Post added at 04:41 ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 ----------

Here you go:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=182186&highlight=Magnesium&page=2

Post 17 explains about it and addresses am example. If you look at one of the most commonly purchases forms, magnesium citrate, look how little magnesium you really get from it.

So, when people say it did nothing for them, did they even know they were getting so little? If they did, I'm sure they would experiment with higher doses first.

That post also includes a link to another thread where I've put some more info. There are links out of that thread to external forums where they explain more about the forms and how to calculate the "elemental" magnesium.

pablo0977
04-04-17, 04:43
Cool thanks man!

MyNameIsTerry
04-04-17, 04:45

Here are the vitamin D and K2 links:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=173433&highlight=Magnesium
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=174070&highlight=Magnesium

SADNoMore (Marie) was the vitamin queen on here but she hasn't been on for ages. Within those threads the issues of correct vitamin D use is discussed and when vitamin K2 is needed.

lilire
05-04-17, 17:42
I noted that when I sit under the shower my twitches are gone.
Does anyone can relate?
Why do you think this happens?

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-17, 05:59
I noted that when I sit under the shower my twitches are gone.
Does anyone can relate?
Why do you think this happens?

If it's cold water, maybe the dive reflex?

It could be a warming effect, I'm not sure so hopefully someone else will know, but one of my main symptoms (fluttering under the skin, the buzzing issue) comes when I sit or lie and goes when I move about.

It could be as simple as a change in focus.

lilire
06-04-17, 15:52
Nope, hot water, maybe it haves a calming effect.
Mynameisterry, you seem to know a lot, did you use to twitch?

MyNameIsTerry
09-04-17, 06:03
Nope, hot water, maybe it haves a calming effect.
Mynameisterry, you seem to know a lot, did you use to twitch?

Yes, I've had the twitches for years. Aside from the usual jolts in bed, legs flying out and hypnik jerks I've had many low level twitches. I've also found such things calm down the more you recover from the harder stages of anxiety.

I know about magnesium because I saw others on here using it and started looking into it to find others on natural living forums talking about the pitfalls over the misconceptions about how much magnesium you really get from the various supplements, I started looking further into what they were discussing.

ElectricAlice
09-04-17, 19:33
I noticed everytime I go outside for a walk in the sunshine my eye twitch stops.
Then I come back inside and think about it and it starts again.

-_-

GlassPinata
09-04-17, 19:47
Have you evaluated your diet? A nutritionist friend whom I confided in (about my twitches but not my anxiety FYI) asked if I was magnesium and or vitamin d deficient. My last blood test did reveal vitamin d deficiency, but my magnesium levels were not checked. He said a common symptom of one or both of these deficiencies is muscle twitches. Most people probably wouldn't be bothered by it, but a person with health anxiety could have a field day with a symptom like this.

Word of caution, don't go swallowing a ton of supplements without the advice of a professional, but maybe look at your diet. As I am using an app to track my calories, it was easy to see I am not getting enough magnesium. Now this doesn't mean I don't have health anxiety (I most certainly do), but getting my vitamins and minerals in line couldn't hurt. I think we tend to forget the role of food and nutrition when pondering our health, that's all. This in no way means that I can ignore my obsessive tendencies in regard to my health fears.

I have a twitchy eyelid, which worries me sporadically.
I have recently considered adding a multivitamin to my regimen, just to fill in any nutritional deficits, but after some research I decided against it.
Instead, I've decided to add more fresh fruits and vegetables to my diet.
Apparently, studies have shown that vitamin supplements are all but worthless, and a healthy diet is the way to go.
Now the trick is forcing myself to actually eat this crap.... it's not what I like at all. :weep::weep: