PDA

View Full Version : Really struggling today - weakness in shoulder

Scotttt
31-03-17, 14:46
So I was doing good ignoring my muscle twitches, and still am. They don't really bother me as much anymore....I have also been having fewer of them.

However, I've noticed that my left shoulder is slightly weaker than my right. I first noticed this in the gym doing shoulder press. My left arm shakes and gets tired a little before my right.I can still do the same weight and reps. My shoulder also clicks and pops when I raise it. Of course my first thought when there is any kind of weakness is ALS. I know it is failure not feeling, but this voice in my head keeps telling my that its the early stages and I am am surely going to lose the use of my arm any moment.

To make things worse, I think my left arm might be slightly smaller than my right( I am right handed).

Im trying to stay rational and calm about this but my anxiety is running out of control.

I just want to accept 100% that I don't have this disease and move on my life.

any help and support greatly appreciated.

Josh1234
31-03-17, 14:55
Do you think YOU were to be the one blessed by God with the perfect, symmetrical body? Pretty funny, considering not even prime Arnold, or generations of steroid taking bodybuilders could achieve what you expect from yourself.

All jokes aside, you keep using the word slightly as if that's supposed to be concerning. I don't have a symmetrical appearance on my body in ANY limb nor does anyone else, and of course, your weak hand side is gonna be weaker. That's why it's your WEAK HAND SIDE.

Go live your life in peace.

Scotttt
31-03-17, 15:02
HAHA thanks, Im definitely no Arnold.

My initial reaction when looking in the mirror, was "Of course you left side is smaller and weaker, your right handed". But then anxiety creeps in and I start with the "What Ifs".

Its only a small part of my brain that doesnt think I'm healthy.

Josh1234
31-03-17, 15:10
Look, let's settle this. ALS is a disease of the nerves, not of the muscles. Therefore weakness MUST come first before muscles atrophy. You can do all the same weight and reps? Guess what? NO weakness, therefore the atrophy you think you are seeing is just normal human anatomy your crazy anxious brain is freaking out about. Now that that's settled, go hit the gym and watch those rotator cuffs; years of powerlifting left me clicking and popping all over. :shades:

Scotttt
31-03-17, 15:16
A *mic drop* would have been appropriate at the end of that post.

Thanks for being the rational voice I needed this morning.