PDA

View Full Version : Anger with seeing the same numbers

Ljj44577
31-03-17, 19:52
I just looked at the clock and it was 2:43. That made me angry. I keep associating the number 43 and 23 with bad luck or something really bad happening. The reason why it makes me so mad is because it causes me to worry more and it only increases my anxiety.

One morning, back in October of 2016, I woke up at 11:23 am. I am worried if that was telling me something. I am angry at ANYTHING that causes me to worry more and have more anxiety. I don't care if it's people or inanimate things.

I think this could be called magical thinking. I hope I'm just being irrational.

So how do you deal with this? What is the proper reaction to something like this? Can you give me any advice? Can you relate to this in any way?

Dave1
01-04-17, 21:20
Maybe if you wake up on a bad number, and you want to start the day in a better frame of mind, you should wait for a good number and get out of bed at that time.

But it's all irrational nonsense of course! :)

MyNameIsTerry
03-04-17, 07:23
Yes, it's Magical Thinking. I've just posted a list of examples on a thread on this board so I suggest you have a look. I bet you would find you have done others.

Is it actually anger or is it more frustration?

The key is not to respond but it takes a lot of time & effort getting to that stage. Reacting with negative thoughts, feelings or emotions just reinforces the importance of the situation to the subconscious. Starving it of this reaction, since the part of the brain looking for feedback can only see fear based responses, means it gets mothballed but it takes time.

With clocks at night, cover them. This helps with insomnia anyway but it might help you in that it removes it from view. If you then learn to tolerate the building anxiety from wanting to check it, you will find you lose the anxiety.

I used to do checking of my watch and it used to make me frustrated. My therapist told me to make it harder to view. I couldn't stop having a watch, as she wanted, as it wasn't practical so instead I put it in a pocket filled with stuff to discourage me from wanting it. Sometimes with obsessions, if you spend some time without seeing them, they fade. It's not avoidance, it's about adaptive behaviours.

Maybe if you wake up on a bad number, and you want to start the day in a better frame of mind, you should wait for a good number and get out of bed at that time.

Wouldn't that be giving the bad numbers importance though when there are only numbers, not bad or good?

Ljj44577
06-04-17, 14:56

Thanks

---------- Post added at 13:56 ---------- Previous post was at 13:55 ----------

[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;1665187]Yes, it's Magical Thinking. I've just posted a list of examples on a thread on this board so I suggest you have a look. I bet you would find you have done others.

Is it actually anger or is it more frustration?

The key is not to respond but it takes a lot of time & effort getting to that stage. Reacting with negative thoughts, feelings or emotions just reinforces the importance of the situation to the subconscious. Starving it of this reaction, since the part of the brain looking for feedback can only see fear based responses, means it gets mothballed but it takes time.

With clocks at night, cover them. This helps with insomnia anyway but it might help you in that it removes it from view. If you then learn to tolerate the building anxiety from wanting to check it, you will find you lose the anxiety.

I used to do checking of my watch and it used to make me frustrated. My therapist told me to make it harder to view. I couldn't stop having a watch, as she wanted, as it wasn't practical so instead I put it in a pocket filled with stuff to discourage me from wanting it. Sometimes with obsessions, if you spend some time without seeing them, they fade. It's not avoidance, it's about adaptive behaviours.

Thanks. I appreciate it.