PDA

View Full Version : Life Assurance and Anxiety

franfhm
26-04-07, 19:57
Hi all,

I've recently applied for a life assurance policy due to having a mortgage, and was wondering whether any of you had problems with this?

When I was asked the question about suffering from anxiety, I answered truthfully and gave the reasons why I thought it was triggered (moving house and job - but I know inside its further than this, I'm anxious about everything these days) and the meds I take.

Sorry this has been niggling at me since I applied for it now and was wondering if any of you had experiences with this kind of stuff as I'm concerned they may turn down my application.

Thanks,
Fran

nomorepanic
26-04-07, 20:11
Fran

My payments were doubled for 5 years as they read my medical notes and said I was "at a higher risk cos I suffered with depression".

I found that an insult and appealed against it but they still increased my payments for 2 years.

No idea if they can still do this nowadays as this was a long time ago - 10 years or so.

Hope yours will be ok.

Oh and they also insisted I had a medical examination!

franfhm
27-04-07, 17:27
Well I got a call from them today asking more about the problem and whether I'd had any suicidal or self harming thoughts (which I haven't thank god) so could answer no against that one. Also about the time off work I'd had to take due to it, which has been no more than a week (makes me kind of glad I've dragged myself in now).

I also explained the symptoms I get with it which is my upset stomachs. I should hear within a week or so whether I've been accepted or not.

I hate these things it makes you feel turned inside out sometimes.

jo61
28-04-07, 10:43
I've not had a problem with mortgage as I wasn't suffering when we took out our mortgage, 20 years ago!! However, with my travel insurance, I have to declare the condition and the premium doubles. However, I had to cancel a trip a couple of years ago so it was well worth it. Any insurance company doing a risk assessment has to take any medical condition into account.