PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety is like a parasite

Bill
01-04-17, 03:52
Just a thought I had today which I thought I'd post in case it helped others to understand their anxiety.

Anxiety is like a parasite because it attaches itself within us and then bullies us by creating intrusive thoughts, what if's and worries so it can feed off your fear so it can stay alive.

When you starve it of it's food by not giving it the attention it seeks by not dwelling on the thoughts it creates, it cannot survive. It may well come back to see if it can feed again but each time remember it's looking for food so try not to give it what its seeking. If you can make it a habit, in time you'll forget all about your parasite because it will stop trying to worry you because it'll know it won't get anywhere because it won't be fed.

To break a bad feeding habit means to create a new good feeding habit so the next time it tries to feed by creating an irrational fearful thought, try replacing it with a rational realistic thought that it doesn't like the taste of.

Try it and see.

Hope that makes sense.

snowghost57
02-04-17, 17:17
Excellent post Bill. I agree that anxiety is like a parasite. My therapist tells me the same thing in regards to changing your thoughts. She gave me the excerpt from a book, titled "The Feeling Good Handbook" by David Burns, M.D., 1989. When I feel anxious there is a little work sheet that I am to complete. It makes me focus on my fears and what I can do to rationalize my thoughts.

A. List the situation that you are fearful of (be careful to list only the facts)
B. Thoughts or beliefs about the situation (your self-talk)
C. Feelings---How do you feel as a result of your thoughts.

The last step an the most step is:

D. Dispute thoughts or beliefs. What is unrealistic in your thinking? What are your dogmatic shoulds and musts.

It has helped me, I hope it helps someone here.

RocketRon
02-04-17, 20:41
Ah yes wise words but what about when the thoughts attack when at your weakest such as at 05.09 and one tosses and turns fighting them ? Deep breathing, focus on breathing but the darn thoughts are relentless

Bill
03-04-17, 02:34
My suggestion would be not to lay there tossing and turning fighting the thoughts because they'll keep coming back stopping you from sleeping.

What I would do is get out of bed and do something to distract your mind that will help to relax you.

Sometimes focusing on breathing won't work because it makes you think to yourself I Have to breathe deeply to stop my anxiety which then keeps you thinking about your anxiety so sometimes it's better to find something to do that will help you "forget" your anxious thoughts and feelings.

Therefore, think to yourself what do you enjoy. Do you like music, reading or watching a favourite film. Do you have a hobby or a favourite drink or crosswords. If you can't think of anything, think of something you could do as a plan for when this happens.

The key to stopping the thoughts is to give your mind something really interesting or complex that it enjoys that it has to focus on. If you stop your mind thinking by distracting it, the thoughts will go, you'll feel relaxed and you'll get back to sleep even if it's in the armchair.

Of course a sleeping pill might help you to get off to sleep but it could have an adverse effect when you need to get up.

One other thought - before you go to bed, set up a relaxation routine before you retire. For instance, listen to relaxing music or reading etc before you go to bed because it'll help you sleep better if you can go to bed without a racing mind full of worries.

I know it's difficult to switch off when you are under a lot of stress or have a lot of worries but sometimes you have to say to yourself, take one day at a time, focus on what you want to achieve and that things will sort themselves out one way or another.

Sometimes also it helps to write down every worry you have then beside it write down what could go wrong but beside that what you can do to prevent it. Writing them down might help to empty your mind of them and writing a positive plan for each worry can reassure and focus your mind towards positive thoughts. It's something you could attempt when you're tossing and turning at night because it'll help you get back to sleep.

If you're worried about waking others, find another room or use headphones etc. but try to avoid laying there thinking because you'll only feel worse by dwelling on negative thoughts that will keep attacking you preventing you from sleeping.

Hope that helps.

snowghost57
03-04-17, 03:15
I find reading helps my brain relax. I can involve myself into something that will take me to another scene? world? I really don't know how to describe it. Reading before bed just takes my mind off of my thoughts. I just have to remember not to read something so interesting that it keeps me up!

---------- Post added at 22:15 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

Ah yes wise words but what about when the thoughts attack when at your weakest such as at 05.09 and one tosses and turns fighting them ? Deep breathing, focus on breathing but the darn thoughts are relentless

I find that not only deep breathing helps, however in addition to the breathing, I do a little body relaxation. I learned how to do this when I was exercising to lose weight. Believe it or not, even after working out, I was never sore.

The instructor had us lay on our mats in what ever position we felt comfortable in. Imagine relaxing and sinking into the bed, then floating above it. Start at your toes and relax each set of muscles. Slowing move up to your ankles, calves, knees. You get the idea. You can't move to another body part until you have completely relaxed one set of muscles. I'm usually asleep by the time I reached my knees! If your mind wanders, pull it back to what you must concentrate on! Anxiety is a strong emotion, however I think if we refuse to feed it, the feelings will subside.

RocketRon
03-04-17, 08:55
My suggestion would be not to lay there tossing and turning fighting the thoughts because they'll keep coming back stopping you from sleeping.

What I would do is get out of bed and do something to distract your mind that will help to relax you.

Sometimes focusing on breathing won't work because it makes you think to yourself I Have to breathe deeply to stop my anxiety which then keeps you thinking about your anxiety so sometimes it's better to find something to do that will help you "forget" your anxious thoughts and feelings.

Therefore, think to yourself what do you enjoy. Do you like music, reading or watching a favourite film. Do you have a hobby or a favourite drink or crosswords. If you can't think of anything, think of something you could do as a plan for when this happens.

The key to stopping the thoughts is to give your mind something really interesting or complex that it enjoys that it has to focus on. If you stop your mind thinking by distracting it, the thoughts will go, you'll feel relaxed and you'll get back to sleep even if it's in the armchair.

Of course a sleeping pill might help you to get off to sleep but it could have an adverse effect when you need to get up.

One other thought - before you go to bed, set up a relaxation routine before you retire. For instance, listen to relaxing music or reading etc before you go to bed because it'll help you sleep better if you can go to bed without a racing mind full of worries.

I know it's difficult to switch off when you are under a lot of stress or have a lot of worries but sometimes you have to say to yourself, take one day at a time, focus on what you want to achieve and that things will sort themselves out one way or another.

Sometimes also it helps to write down every worry you have then beside it write down what could go wrong but beside that what you can do to prevent it. Writing them down might help to empty your mind of them and writing a positive plan for each worry can reassure and focus your mind towards positive thoughts. It's something you could attempt when you're tossing and turning at night because it'll help you get back to sleep.

If you're worried about waking others, find another room or use headphones etc. but try to avoid laying there thinking because you'll only feel worse by dwelling on negative thoughts that will keep attacking you preventing you from sleeping.

Hope that helps.

Bill thank you, wise words.

The reason I am like this is because I am facing a big choice - House purchase and I am 90% down the line with it and I have faltered, stalling leads to pressure which leads to more anxiety.

I feel like I am in a pressure cooker of my own making hence it is becoming extreme.

Bigboyuk
21-04-17, 21:32
Hi RocketRon Good to see you back :) Did you go through those 12 steps I sent, you analised them? They do work :) Cheers

Bill
22-04-17, 02:20
Bigboy, I'm glad you posted because I meant to reply myself but I forgot, sorry,

It was just a thought I had.

House moving is one of the biggest stresses we can endure in our lifetimes and there's no way of avoiding them unless of course we never move.

Sometimes I think under these circumstances all we can do is learn how to lessen the stress so it doesn't overwhelm us because in reality, there is normally no other choice than to keep going until the house move is sorted because then once it's done, the pressures relieves itself, so the quicker it's all sorted, the better.

I think therefore all you can do is keep practising relaxation methods to help ease your anxious feelings to help you on your journey. The only other thought is, where possible, delegate some decisions and workload to your partner temporarily until life is calmer.

Whatever those 12 steps are, I'm sure they will help too.

Bigboyuk
22-04-17, 10:32
Bigboy, I'm glad you posted because I meant to reply myself but I forgot, sorry,

It was just a thought I had.

House moving is one of the biggest stresses we can endure in our lifetimes and there's no way of avoiding them unless of course we never move.

Sometimes I think under these circumstances all we can do is learn how to lessen the stress so it doesn't overwhelm us because in reality, there is normally no other choice than to keep going until the house move is sorted because then once it's done, the pressures relieves itself, so the quicker it's all sorted, the better.

I think therefore all you can do is keep practising relaxation methods to help ease your anxious feelings to help you on your journey. The only other thought is, where possible, delegate some decisions and workload to your partner temporarily until life is calmer.

Whatever those 12 steps are, I'm sure they will help too.There's a lot of truth there Bill in what you say give your other half some of the decisions even if it means there have more that you just as temporary measure just till things ease off a bit, Modern life to me can be very stressful and I don't like it one bit. As for the 12 steps/and over view of each step they do work if applied, it's like with any 12 step programme you have to let it work :) Sure hope RR get's sorted! Cheers