PDA

View Full Version : Which painkillers can I take with Fluoxetine.

Bike Rider
01-04-17, 12:43
Pulled a back muscle exercising and am in some discomfort. Not able to lie in bed at night as it hurts.

Have taken Ibuprofen and Paracetamol together, but not much use. I have some Codeine but not sure if I can take them with Fluox. Have tried ice and heat, still no use.

So it could be the pelvic area has gone tight and all movement causes discomfort. An age thing, I hope.

panic_down_under
01-04-17, 22:33
Have taken Ibuprofen and Paracetamol together, but not much use. I have some Codeine but not sure if I can take them with Fluox.

Paracetamol/acetaminophen is okay, as is codeine. Aspirin and other NSAID (http://www.medicinenet.com/nonsteroidal_antiinflammatory_drugs/article.htm) painkillers such as ibuprophen and naproxen can be problematic because they are anticoagulants as are SSRIs and some SNRIs and TCAs. Taking them for a few days to treat injuries is probably okay, taking the daily for weeks may not be. Look for signs of bleeding while taking them, increased bruising, nose and gum bleeding, etc.

Other painkillers to avoid are the synthetic opioids *dextromethorphan, meperidine, aka pethidine, methadone, pentazocine and tramadol as there is a risk of serotonin syndrome with these. Codeine, fentanyl and oxycodone are safe.

*Note: dextromethorphan is an ingredient in many otc cold and flu remedies as a cough suppressant. I can't say whether the dose is enough to be of concern so get the advice of your pharmacist if you want to take one of these remedies.

Catherine S
01-04-17, 22:56
This brings 'back' memories of me pulling muscles while trying to be clever lifting something heavy in 2013..The pain was really bad for some weeks and I couldn't get comfortable no matter what. Laying in bed was almost impossible and sometimes the pain would make me cry. I've never been one for strong painkillers as they mess with my head too much, but at that time I had to take them as nothing else would touch the pain.

I can't advise you on the meds...panic_down_under is the guy for that, but I just wanted to offer my sympathies and hope your muscles recover soon.

ISB ☺

Bike Rider
02-04-17, 10:08
Thanks P_d_U, have taken codeine and a better night's sleep last night, thanks for clearing that up.

I still believe. Thanks for the sympathy, this is not new to me but a right bugger when it happens and can last a couple of weeks.

Now my surgeon when I had a shoulder opp, told me off, for not taking painkillers he said that when the body is in pain it cannot heal so well, so dont be brave and suffer, take the things and get healing. So that s why I now take them.