PDA

View Full Version : Sarcoma missed

emmalj0
01-04-17, 18:25
I work at hospital a 21 year old has had sarcoma missed but ultrasound and xray. I'm now panicking my lump that iv been paranoid is sarcoma has been missed also. Iv been doing well this is a big set back for me. I was told ultrasound is accurate

pablo0977
01-04-17, 18:55
You should really put (Cancer Trigger Warning) in your title asap. There are some who are dealing with severe anxiety over this kind of thing and should be warned.

emmalj0
01-04-17, 19:14

Gary A
01-04-17, 23:06
How do they know sarcoma was present when the ultrasound was carried out? How do they know it hasn't developed between now and then?

They don't, and neither do you. You're just trying to think the worst so that you can connect the dot to yourself.

I'm willing to bet there is far more to this anecdote that you've reported, but because you're absolutely determined to be worried about a 1cm lump that hasn't changed in 4 years, you're selecting the bits that make it scary.

You need to give it a rest with this lump, you really do.

swajj
02-04-17, 00:57
If you look for cases of cancer misdiagnosis on the Internet you will find them. The fact is that X-rays, ultrasounds, blood tests etc etc don't always show cancer when it is present. There is no point lying about that just so HA sufferers can feel better. You want people to say that there is no way that an ultrasound would have missed the 21 year old's cancer but that would be a lie. It happens. But it doesn't happen very often. That isn't a lie. Stop searching the Internet because as long as you keep doing that you will never get over your HA.

bin tenn
02-04-17, 04:08
If you look for cases of cancer misdiagnosis on the Internet you will find them. The fact is that X-rays, ultrasounds, blood tests etc etc don't always show cancer when it is present. There is no point lying about that just so HA sufferers can feel better. You want people to say that there is no way that an ultrasound would have missed the 21 year old's cancer but that would be a lie. It happens. But it doesn't happen very often. That isn't a lie. Stop searching the Internet because as long as you keep doing that you will never get over your HA.

Agreed 100%

emmalj0
03-04-17, 13:22
How do they know sarcoma was present when the ultrasound was carried out? How do they know it hasn't developed between now and then?

They don't, and neither do you. You're just trying to think the worst so that you can connect the dot to yourself.

I'm willing to bet there is far more to this anecdote that you've reported, but because you're absolutely determined to be worried about a 1cm lump that hasn't changed in 4 years, you're selecting the bits that make it scary.

You need to give it a rest with this lump, you really do.

Iv had to read through all the a and E notes and iv also gone through all the recent Dr's notes. This person had been five or six times saying was in pain etc yet non of the tests picked it up. It stated sarcoma diagnosis with secondary cancer lungs and breast. I know I'm not feeling ill and this poor person was in excruciating pain but how can it be missed? It's threw me now my scans have missed something

Gary A
03-04-17, 13:43
:shrug:
Iv had to read through all the a and E notes and iv also gone through all the recent Dr's notes. This person had been five or six times saying was in pain etc yet non of the tests picked it up. It stated sarcoma diagnosis with secondary cancer lungs and breast. I know I'm not feeling ill and this poor person was in excruciating pain but how can it be missed? It's threw me now my scans have missed something

That's up to you, I guess.

You're utterly determined to be worried about this lump and to be blunt, I'm sick of trying to talk sense into you. You do not want to hear it, and when you do hear it you just ignore it.

Someone has died and that's given you an excuse to be worried again. Think about that.

emmalj0
03-04-17, 14:30
I thought this place was where u can share ur worries not be spoken to and be made to feel like ur a complete and utter idiot. I can't help how I am I try and live my life best I can without trying to worry too much, when something triggers me again its hard

swajj
03-04-17, 14:31
Are you a nurse? I hope not because the last thing a terminally ill patient needs is a nurse who is so focused on her own imagined health issues that she ceases to remember that she is supposed to be looking after someone who is "actually" dying from a very real disease. Get a grip.

Leslie735
03-04-17, 17:42
I'm so sorry your having this fear. I don't really have advice, but wanted to let you know I know how you feel and when your in the midst of a fear like that its so hard to pull you out of the anxiety hole as I call it. *hugs*

emmalj0
03-04-17, 18:37
Thanks, iv been bit upset over some previous comments if I could snap out of it I would do

PASchoolSyndrome
03-04-17, 22:53
If we could all snap out of it, we would.

However it's necessary to be told when you're being ridiculous. Also, is HIPPA only an American thing? Not accusing but if you have no business being that patients medical records please stop reading them and respect her privacy. Plus it is disrespectful.

Leslie735
04-04-17, 02:23
Thanks, iv been bit upset over some previous comments if I could snap out of it I would do

I know, we all would. :(

emmalj0
04-04-17, 06:19
Obviously I can read patients medical records it part of my job. I'm not going into what my job is. I came on here for help. Don't worry will be last time I post on here

PASchoolSyndrome
04-04-17, 14:53
I did not mean it in a accusatory way, as you obviously did not go into the details of what your job is, but if you have no need to delve into her medical records just please don't. It clearly feeds your anxiety and impedes on her privacy (if you don't need to be there, again don't know if you do or not). That can get you fired here in America, and I really do think incredibly disrespectful towards that poor girl and her situation.

And I'm sorry that some other's posts or my own make you upset, but that's sort of the reality of the situation. Please get help for your anxiety so that you can focus less on your own fears and work to help those who need it the most.

emmalj0
04-04-17, 19:15
My job is to look at the patients notes so I'm not doing anything wrong, I have to read them

PASchoolSyndrome
04-04-17, 22:05
Then I think you should really work on your anxiety. I'm sorry you're worried about something going on with your body but reading a patient's note that causes you extreme enough anxiety to write about it on a forum it's going to be hard to do your job if another similar situation pops up. It's hard not to talk about patients that we have/read notes of but it's not professional and I hope you get out of the current spiral you're in.

Maybe I'm the one overreacting but when you wrote "I was reading her chart and it said this this and this" it really irked me. Maybe America is just different but people have lost their jobs for less. I've almost lost my job for less. So maybe just be a bit more careful.

NervUs
04-04-17, 23:11
If it is your job to read patient charts, then, agreed you need to find a way to hear this kind of news without being panicked or triggered. Unfortunately, cancer is very misdiagnosed. It's just a fact. At the height of my health anxiety, I would not have been able to have a health care job in any way. If you really work at it, you might find that you can hear other peoples' stories without turning them around to you. It takes work but is possible. GL

ElectricAlice
05-04-17, 20:23
I think it's difficult to see things clearly and rationally when you are in the middle of a panic attack. And whilst I do agree with the replies that are more of the 'tough love' nature, I also think it's important to understand that if something triggers extreme anxiety it can make all other rational thoughts go out of the window. And sometimes the forum can be good to bring someone back from the edge.

I know if I read something like that but in regards to my feared illness I would have found it hard to stay calm.

I do agree that help for anxiety is needed here and I do agree it probably wasn't the most sensitive of actions to share this poor girls notes.

I hope the original poster doesn't feel like she can't post here anymore and is doing okay. Health anxiety is not something one should feel alone in.