PDA

View Full Version : More anxiety over 4 year old daughter...

Mrschurchill
01-04-17, 23:24
Apologies for the long post❗️

So, it's no secret that a lot of my HA is geared towards my daughter being ill. (She's 4 and in preschool).

Basically, she spikes a fever AT LEAST once a month. She misses a day or nursery at least once a month. We had her at out of hours on March 11th due to a fever of over 40c. She recovered quite quickly and then spiked again last Sunday. We took her to the doctor on Monday due to her persistent cough. Doctor prescribed an inhaler thinking possible asthma (which is fine, although it's been nearly a week and no real change.) she recovered for a couple of days then spiked again yesterday. (She has a dripping nose, probs best to know this!)

I mentioned to the doctor that every single month (and I mean every single month) she spikes a fever and usually can recover between a couple of hours and 2 days. It can come and go so quickly that surely that can't be normal? Doctor didn't even entertain me on it! 😐 Now HA aside, this surely can't just be a normal thing. I feel like we can't really make plans as we don't know if she'll be ill or not!
Bear in mind, some fevers come with absolutely no other symptoms!

I understand pre schoolers pick up everything, but this much? I have to come home from work every few weeks as she's unwell. I'm at my wits end and no one else around me is really concerned! 😫

Please someone either agree with me, or tell me that my HA is getting the better of me 😔

Thanks for letting me rant 😑

ServerError
01-04-17, 23:47
Kids really do pick up everything at pre-school. There's pretty much always something going round, and some kids do pick things up more easily and more frequently than others.

My niece is nearly eight. For the first three or four years of her life, she had a really bad rattling chest and was always coughing - sometimes to the point of vomiting. The doctor gave her an inhaler, which helped a bit, but it never truly behaved like asthma. In the end, she grew out of whatever it was and no longer needs an inhaler.

My nephew is now three and pretty much always has a cold. I'm not being hyperbolic here - he really does. The doctor isn't worried. It's just the curse of pre-school. He's still a happy, healthy little guy, and I suspect he'll grow out of it too.

Just a thought - do you leave lots of clothes around the house drying on radiators after a wash? The doctor recently asked my sister this and she said yes. Ever since she stopped doing it, there's been a noticeable improvement in both kids' health.

Mrschurchill
01-04-17, 23:55
Not on radiators but a clothes horse - like always! �� I never even thought about anything like that!

ServerError
02-04-17, 00:18
Not on radiators but a clothes horse - like always! �� I never even thought about anything like that!

I'm a pretty sceptical guy, but even I can't deny that the kids have improved since my sister stopped drying clothes in the open indoors.

swajj
02-04-17, 01:02
Children pick up on their parents anxiety. If you keep being anxious over her health then eventually she might be some anxious about her health. Do you really want her going through what you are going through?

---------- Post added at 09:32 ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 ----------

become

Mrschurchill
02-04-17, 07:49
I'm a pretty sceptical guy, but even I can't deny that the kids have improved since my sister stopped drying clothes in the open indoors.

I will try it!!

ServerError
02-04-17, 08:56
I'd take on board what swajj said as well.

Cakelady
02-04-17, 11:56
One of my sons was like that, he was at pre school & kept getting fevers as frequently as your little one. A friend of his was the same. It seemed to stop once he started school, infact I cant remember the last time he had one & he's 7 now. It is worrying but I think its just one of those things xx

Mrschurchill
02-04-17, 13:01
Thanks, I'm hoping so! Hate seeing her poorly! We are going to Florida in 5 weeks and just dreading the fact she might take unwell ��

scared22
02-04-17, 14:56
How long has she been going to pre School/nursery for?

My son for maybe the first year of nursery he was ill all the time, probably monthly if not more regular than that. It still probably took another year to stop picking up things frequently. Now at 5 and a half he (touch all the wood in the world) very rarely gets anything other than a sniffle. He hasn't been poorly since last Easter and that was the pox.

Mrschurchill
02-04-17, 17:35
She's started last January. She responds almost instantly to medicine so know if it was serious she wouldn't! X

Cakelady
02-04-17, 19:21
Yes that is a good sign. Have a lovely holiday :) xx

Mrschurchill
03-04-17, 09:54
Took her back to doctor this morning as temp still there and cough not shifting. Given us antibiotics so fingers crossed we are on the road to normality!
Thanks Cakelady - we've never been before so are very excited!! X