PDA

View Full Version : Mind causing palpitations?

Libra96
02-04-17, 20:30
Hi everyone,

I'm planning on doing to my doctors soon just to check things with my heart (I see it beating in my chest and stomach 24/7 and this scared me) and I'm hoping they will do an ECG for my peace of mind at least. I do however, get palpitations occasionally and I'm sure this won't pick up on the ECG as they only happen very occasionally. I don't know why they happen. The first one I think I remember experiencing was when I was about 13 before I drifted off to sleep and it made me sit up in bed. I didn't like the feeling but it didn't freak me out too much because it never really happened. The first time I noticed my visible heartbeat was when I was 17 and I was going through terrible anxiety that summer. My health anxiety had been already bad with other problems and at the time I was looking for heart issues and noticed I could see it beating. But I don't remember seeing this before and I'm sure I would have noticed this. Anyway after I discovered this my health anxiety became even worse and I noticed the occasional palpitation maybe a year or so after. It is very occasional bug can happen up to once or twice per week, and sometimes they seem out of the blue.

Yes they come more when I'm anxious or drifting off to sleep for some reason? I don't sleep for very long either so don't know lack of sleep could cause it or not. However, I was wondering if the mind can play a role. One time I had a palpitation and googled it later (I know stupid idea) and found as I read about the description of it, I felt myself panic and have a palpitation and it seemed my thinking and reading about it I had caused one. Anyway lately I've been thinking a lot about my heart again, and it seems maybe I'm creating the symptoms? Just this morning I thought to myself 'I haven't had one in a while' and part of me in the back of my mind thought 'you're probably gonna get one today now' and I did this evening. I know it was a few hour later but I feel the thought was maybe in gone back of my mind. I have no other symptoms when they happen, just a fluttering int chest which I can stop by bringing my shoulders in and then it's normal after a few seconds. It still scares me though. I am a 20 year old female, I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat any red meat or anything, and I don't drink at all and have never smoked so I do know that the likelihood of me having a heart condition is extremely unlikely but I worry anyway.

Sorry for the long post, but I hate this :( do you think my mind/thoughts could play a part? I do know the mind is very powerful and I have had my anxiety mimic symptoms I've been worried about. Thanks in advance x

Aaahhfreakout
03-04-17, 01:38
The mind can definitely play a part, I know for a fact that an anxious thought can easily raise the heart rate by 15 beats-per-minute but without any feeling of anxiety within the body, so stressful thoughts can stress the body even if you don't feel anything has happened. Constant stressful thoughts like that will increase the chance of ectopic beats for sure, much like sipping coffee all day would.

Also, as we fall asleep, the heart slows and the longer gap between normal heartbeats gives an ectopic heartbeat more space in which to park itself. :)

And lack of sleep has been linked to various heart disturbances, such as ectopic beats.

As to seeing the heart beat in your body, are you quite slim? It's just a guess but I suspect low-body fat probably allows people to see their heart beat more easily.

Libra96
03-04-17, 01:56
The mind can definitely play a part, I know for a fact that an anxious thought can easily raise the heart rate by 15 beats-per-minute but without any feeling of anxiety within the body, so stressful thoughts can stress the body even if you don't feel anything has happened. Constant stressful thoughts like that will increase the chance of ectopic beats for sure, much like sipping coffee all day would.

Also, as we fall asleep, the heart slows and the longer gap between normal heartbeats gives an ectopic heartbeat more space in which to park itself. :)

And lack of sleep has been linked to various heart disturbances, such as ectopic beats.

As to seeing the heart beat in your body, are you quite slim? It's just a guess but I suspect low-body fat probably allows people to see their heart beat more easily.

Thank you for the reply and all the great info :)Really helped calm me down.

I am pretty slim, yes. I'm not skinny but slim and I do have small breasts which may make it more noticeable. I think I may have a thin chest wall so maybe that's why I see it. When I googled which I know isn't the best idea, it seemed to be mostly females around my age who had this problem and whilst some things suggested the heart was working to hard, there wasn't a specific disease this was a symptom of. May still go to the doc for peace of mind (if that's possible!)
Thanks again :)