PDA

View Full Version : Let's kick health anxiety's ass

Jackrabbit
03-04-17, 00:52
This is a continuation of the other thread that I started(Now Im Just Getting Annoyed). I for one, have been doing better. Its still there though, I still feel the anxiety creeping up on me on the most random moments, but I recognize it. I know what it is, and more importantly I know that in that moment I'll be alright. Some things that I'm doing that have helped: listening to more music, talking more to friends and family, cooking, reading, having a glass of wine at night, and much more.

Also, screw the medications. You can get through it on your own it'll just be difficult. Anti anxiety medications have really screwed some of my friends over and I want no part of it. This has been such a test of character for me, this anxiety. Ive thought about going on medication but each time I tell myself that I'm stronger than the medication and that I don't need the side effects/withdrawal symptoms that'll end up most likely making the anxiety worse.

Not trying to crap on anyone who is taking medication. Everyone is different.

pablo0977
03-04-17, 00:54
Had a setback today but still moving forward. I'm with you J.R.! Glad to hear your on the upward trend.

Brian_VA
03-04-17, 01:10
I agree with you about the medication as well. It's not for everyone. I couldn't deal with the side effects.

pablo0977
03-04-17, 01:16
May we all find peace in our own way.

Scotttt
03-04-17, 01:16
Im determined to get over this without meds.

Been going to therapy and getting better everyday.

Have some slip ups and moments of weakness, but they are happening with less frequency.

pablo0977
03-04-17, 01:45
We're only human, Scott. As long as the steps forward outnumber the steps backwards we're golden.

GlassPinata
03-04-17, 02:52
This is a continuation of the other thread that I started(Now Im Just Getting Annoyed). I for one, have been doing better. Its still there though, I still feel the anxiety creeping up on me on the most random moments, but I recognize it. I know what it is, and more importantly I know that in that moment I'll be alright. Some things that I'm doing that have helped: listening to more music, talking more to friends and family, cooking, reading, having a glass of wine at night, and much more.

Also, screw the medications. You can get through it on your own it'll just be difficult. Anti anxiety medications have really screwed some of my friends over and I want no part of it. This has been such a test of character for me, this anxiety. Ive thought about going on medication but each time I tell myself that I'm stronger than the medication and that I don't need the side effects/withdrawal symptoms that'll end up most likely making the anxiety worse.

Not trying to crap on anyone who is taking medication. Everyone is different.

It is so f'ing annoying.
Even though nothing is really wrong, my mind just won't settle!

As for medication... yes, everyone is different.
If I had medical insurance, I'd be on medication right now. I wish I did.

Glad to hear that you're coping, though. Good luck.

snowghost57
03-04-17, 03:26
Well Jack, I agree with you on the medication. I fell apart and tried Zoloft, after 20 days I was done! Yes, it helped my brain to slow down and teach me to kick intrusive thoughts out. However, I paid the price, I lost 4 lbs and I'm a small woman to begin with. The stomach retching, the 4 am trips to the bathroom, feeling like a slug, not taking care of myself. When anxiety tries to creep back in? I'm not going back to medication. I will learn how to win over anxiety and not let it take over my life.

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

It is so f'ing annoying.
Even though nothing is really wrong, my mind just won't settle!

As for medication... yes, everyone is different.
If I had medical insurance, I'd be on medication right now. I wish I did.

Glad to hear that you're coping, though. Good luck.

Glass you are in the United States as I am. You need to look up your local hospital online. All hospitals in this country offer financial assistance to people that are not insured. Hospitals just don't advertise it. I worked in health insurance for 25 years so I know what I'm talking about. As for mental health assistance, look for your Community Service Boards, contact Social Services. If they can't help ask for referrals. There is assistance out there trust me. Please feel free to PM me. By the way I live in Virginia.

Terri

Jackrabbit
03-04-17, 15:40
[QUOTE=snowghost57;1665144]Well Jack, I agree with you on the medication. I fell apart and tried Zoloft, after 20 days I was done! Yes, it helped my brain to slow down and teach me to kick intrusive thoughts out. However, I paid the price, I lost 4 lbs and I'm a small woman to begin with. The stomach retching, the 4 am trips to the bathroom, feeling like a slug, not taking care of myself. When anxiety tries to creep back in? I'm not going back to medication. I will learn how to win over anxiety and not let it take over my life.

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:22 ----------

My anxiety started really back in October after I was hospitalized after a major panic attack. RIGHT AWAY they prescribed me Zoloft without even talking to me about other options. I made a second appointment with my GP and he too prescribed me medication along with therapy and exercise. Totally agree with the therapy and exercise but in my experience with close friends who are all different, the medication does more harm than good. For some it has made them feel good as long as they take it religiously but the moment they would stop it would come back and then some. Others, the medication just turned them into zombies and made them super zonked out.

Everyone is dealing with anxiety in their own way. There have been times when I just wanted to take a pill for it and hoped it went away but everytime I would get to that point, just something inside told me to not do it. And now several months later I am doing better. Ive done a lot of research on anxiety have tried therapy and eating better along with other things and I do feel like I'm getting back to my old self. I still have my bad days but who doesnt? Life isnt a cakewalk. Never doubt that you are strong enough to get through this, because you are.

Emmaisworried
04-04-17, 23:23
I have had a much better week - anxiety still creeping in at times but it's not been all consuming as it was previously

I have to say this thread/the last one really helped me.

Jackrabbit
05-04-17, 21:29
I have had a much better week - anxiety still creeping in at times but it's not been all consuming as it was previously

I have to say this thread/the last one really helped me.

YAY! I'm really glad to hear that. Our mental health controls so many things and if we are in a more positive state things will get better for you, its scientifically proven! :)

You can always come back to this thread if you want to talk about anything that may cause you stress, guaranteed one of us will be able to relate and may have words of advice

Emmaisworried
06-04-17, 12:35
Spoke too soon.

Went to see a physio this morning about hip pain I've had since I had my children. She asked questions about symptoms relating to cervical and ovarian cancer - i.e. Bleeding - and now I am in a panic that I have cancer.

Why can't I ever seem to relax ��

ErinKC
06-04-17, 14:46
I am trying so so hard and I feel like the cycle is overtaking me. I honestly wonder if spending so much time on here in the last few weeks triggered me because my current obsession is something I read on here and even replied to with reassurance! I'm currently obsessed with botulism. I know for a fact it's exceptionally rare. Like 25 cases a year, almost always from home canning or prison hooch. But the anxiety parasite is really clinging on!! It started with months old food I found in the fridge and cleaned out, followed by panic that I'd contaminated my kitchen (even though botulism can't grow in the fridge). I know avoidance is the worst thing I can do, so I've been making myself act normally... Use all the dishes, wash dishes, cook, eat, etc... And I do think it's helped me prevent a full blown spiral. Yesterday I was thinking about how I was feeling better, getting through it. The anxiety parasite heard! I made black bean quesadillas last night and the first can of beans I opened looked "weird"... Kind of like the beans were a little squished. I felt the wave of panic hit me. I got dizzy. But then I just tossed out the can and opened a new one, and it looked fine. I felt so uncomfortable while cooking and eating dinner, but I did it. I woke up with that horrible morning dread, feeling like the contamination had happened all over again, but I made tea and breakfast for my daughter and I. I'm feeling a bit better now, but just so freaking sick of this shit!!! I had been better for over a year and feeling particularly great lately. I just don't get why it is coming back now!! I can't wait for my therapy appointment on Saturday!

Bittersweet05
06-04-17, 15:12
Wow. I totally agree. I started4 years ago. Went on meds for 3 months. Hated hated how I felt. Got off and had to tell myself I can do this without meds. I have my times. But I know it something I have to change. Health anxiety creeps up on me..every ache and pain. But I have to tell myself I had these before and nothing happen. I wish every one well in fighting this crappy thing called anxiety.

Jackrabbit
06-04-17, 18:34
Right, we have to remember that we're not going to go through life without having some kind of ache and pain. And from my understanding anxiety can creep up back on you whenever it feels like or particularily when you are under a lot of stress. Stress itself causes aches and pains as well as depression. Emma, as far as the questions about ovarian and cervical cancer, those are really standard questions. I get asked almost every time I have a check up. Bleeding throughout your cycle is also super normal (I have a sis who is a gyno so Ive had ALOT of convos about this). As long as its not severe cramping, heavy bleeding etc mid cycle then I really wouldn't worry about it. Stress hormones can also cause you to bleed mid cycle or at any point of your cycle really.

I'm assuming that she's screening you for those things so just relax until you get your results, stressing and holding tension will only make your pain worse which can trigger your anxiety.

---------- Post added at 17:34 ---------- Previous post was at 17:31 ----------

I am trying so so hard and I feel like the cycle is overtaking me. I honestly wonder if spending so much time on here in the last few weeks triggered me because my current obsession is something I read on here and even replied to with reassurance! I'm currently obsessed with botulism. I know for a fact it's exceptionally rare. Like 25 cases a year, almost always from home canning or prison hooch. But the anxiety parasite is really clinging on!! It started with months old food I found in the fridge and cleaned out, followed by panic that I'd contaminated my kitchen (even though botulism can't grow in the fridge). I know avoidance is the worst thing I can do, so I've been making myself act normally... Use all the dishes, wash dishes, cook, eat, etc... And I do think it's helped me prevent a full blown spiral. Yesterday I was thinking about how I was feeling better, getting through it. The anxiety parasite heard! I made black bean quesadillas last night and the first can of beans I opened looked "weird"... Kind of like the beans were a little squished. I felt the wave of panic hit me. I got dizzy. But then I just tossed out the can and opened a new one, and it looked fine. I felt so uncomfortable while cooking and eating dinner, but I did it. I woke up with that horrible morning dread, feeling like the contamination had happened all over again, but I made tea and breakfast for my daughter and I. I'm feeling a bit better now, but just so freaking sick of this shit!!! I had been better for over a year and feeling particularly great lately. I just don't get why it is coming back now!! I can't wait for my therapy appointment on Saturday!

That sounds rough :( Im sorry you had to go through that. You definitely sound like you have OCD, I'm not doctor so don't take my word for it just going off of experience. A step to healing however is to establish the problem and if OCD is yours than I suggest talking to your therapist about it and having her officially diagnose you. I have a good friend who is OCD about things and her therapist suggested certain techniques that have really helped her. But you just gotta remember that you have the control. OCD is super uncomfortable and can be frustrating but you can totally overcome it.

Emmaisworried
06-04-17, 20:33
No I'm not being screened - it was just a physio I saw. I would need to see my GP (I'm in the UK) to ask about tests.

I don't have bleeding in between periods. They are pretty regular too - last month 4 days early but usually every 27-29 days. Not as regular since havin my second daughter but still fairly spot on. It was because I have had hip and leg pain since I gave birth the last time and it is worse during my period or when I ovulate. And no cramps except on the lead up to period, during period and some ovulation pain which is generally spot on the day I ovulate.

---------- Post added at 20:33 ---------- Previous post was at 20:16 ----------

I should add that my youngest daughter is 3.5

pablo0977
06-04-17, 21:34
Bad days happen... anybody who thought we could knock this thing out in the first round was sorely mistaken. I still relapse and I have to spend 2 hours a day meditating just to stay on top of it. But I am not giving up. Too much to LIVE for. And by live, I don't mean in fear.

Jackrabbit
07-04-17, 01:36
Emma,

As Ive said before I am no doctor but I can put in my two cents just from experience. I work in healthcare administration and have worked in women's healthcare centers for years and what you mention is something that many women came in for. From what the doctors would say, its usually a pinched nerve that runs along the pelvis and legs that is often crushed on weighed down during pregnancy and/or childbirth. It can cause years of discomfort and even pain on the side that the nerve was affected, you saying that its worse during your period or when you ovulate kind of makes me think thats the case even more since your uterus expands during those times and can put more pressure on the affected nerve. From my understanding its pretty harmless and happens quite often. Maybe that will give you some peace of mind :) But as Ive said Im not a doctor and you should obviously follow up with them. Did your doctor seemed unusually concerned when you mentioned the pain to them?

Emmaisworried
07-04-17, 09:01
No she just said that she is a physio only and it might be worth mentioning to my actual doctor next time I am in. Didn't seem overly concerned at all actually. But it heightened my anxiety a lot.

KeeKee
07-04-17, 10:59
No she just said that she is a physio only and it might be worth mentioning to my actual doctor next time I am in. Didn't seem overly concerned at all actually. But it heightened my anxiety a lot.

I was getting right hip pain that radiated into my leg. Sometimes dull, sometimes sharp, it was also in my right lower back too. I was worried about ovarian cancer but my GP directly said "Ovarian Cancer doesn't present this way". I wouldn't worry however I admit I was worried until my GP told me that. It's eased off now.

Bittersweet05
07-04-17, 12:27
Keekee. Thank you. Im experiencing the same pain this week. Did yard work sunday and had ever since. I am post menopause. I dont get the excercise over the winter as I should. I worry it could be anything. I worry and every pain my brain makes it worst.