PDA

View Full Version : Cough

Paul84
03-04-17, 12:18
Can people form an orderly queue and tell me that my thought process is totally bonkers please!!! I have had a cough for a bout 10 days - It's slowly improved over this time and I now choose when to cough (to clear my throat) instead of it catching me unawares.

I know that there a whole host of normal explanations for it (Alllergies & Hay Fever, Cold, Virus etc...) But I am thinking about it all the time - and playing the same sentence in my head over and over "What if it's... C...or...HIV..."

I had a cold bug in February and thought nothing of it - I got over it.
This cough is hanging for a while and I can't seem to shake these thoughts off. The NHS website says coughs usually hang about for 3 weeks - I'm at the halfway point.

I will be pursuing some avenues of treatment for my Anxiety.

Clydesdale Epona
03-04-17, 12:21
My brother has had a cough for 2 weeks now, it seems to be something going around, its annoying as all heck but nothing dangerous :) x

All the best :hugs:

Bigboyuk
03-04-17, 12:32
Yes it's just a cold bug that's been doing the rounds this winter the weather is all over the place at mo one min nice and warm in the sun, the next still cold at night and next week we are going back to frosts :eek: it's a roller coaster up and down I will probably end up with another cold making it 3 colds since jan but that all it is, not HIV or C or what ever Glad you are seeking help and treatment for your anxiety Paul Good luck let us know how you get on please! Cheers

Kay8010
03-04-17, 12:35
Just to let you know I have had a dry cough for going into 5 months now, I know how scary it is, my chest xray 2 weeks ago was clear so now I am going for lung function tests - not saying this is what will happen but just a note to say I am with you on the persistent coughing syndrome!

Paul84
04-04-17, 10:15
Thank you for your replies :)

My cough is getting a little better, it's more of a dry cough during the day and becomes more productive in the evening. I suppose when I'm anxious/run down, symptoms like this get me more worried as it's physical, it's audible and it can be associated with horrible diseases (even though they are unlikely).

I will just have to ride it out I guess.

Bigboyuk
04-04-17, 11:36
Thank you for your replies :)

My cough is getting a little better, it's more of a dry cough during the day and becomes more productive in the evening. I suppose when I'm anxious/run down, symptoms like this get me more worried as it's physical, it's audible and it can be associated with horrible diseases (even though they are unlikely).

I will just have to ride it out I guess. Think that's a very positive way of thinking, like you say your cough is getting better and to add to that it really has been a bad winter in length wise so these colds/coughs etc tend to last much longer than normal :) it will get totally better for you!! Cheers

Paul84
05-04-17, 21:30
Called for a Doctors appointment this morning and was unable to get in. However, I booked a phone appointment instead. Spoke to the doctor - think he was expecting me to mention anxiety, which of course I did. He has given me a number to call to set up some CBT. I will be callin them tomorrow.

I described my cough to him and he said it sounded like a common upper respiratory tract infection and that a pharmacist will be able to advise a suitable medication for it. No need for antibiotics as my Mucus is clear :shades: