PDA

View Full Version : newbie alert

lilmiss
27-10-04, 20:47
hello people, im a newbie and i really need some info or advise. i have had panic attacks very rarely since I was 18, im now 22, but lately i have had them more and more frequenly until now when they are almost constant. the doctors have said that there is nothing wrong and that its just one of those things until i realised that they are panick attacks. Im finding it so hard to go to work and im taking more and more time off which worried me all over again, my mum htinks that i should ignore it and itll go away, which drives me mad bcoz im sure she thinks im making it up, and my bf is amazing but i rely on him so much, its come to the point that for the last 2 days, to get me to work he has walked me there and sat outside my office all day!!! im so desperate for some help of any kind, i get so scared to even leave the house and when im home all i worry about is the next time im supposed to leave. i cant bear it. help me please xxx

Meg
27-10-04, 21:04
Hi

Welcome to the site

Do you know what started them off to start with ?
What part of having a PA is the worst for you ?
What have you done so far to help yourself ?

Your Bf sounds fantastic -- make sure he knows you appreciate all his help and dedication

Your Mum is somewhat right in that ignoring the symptoms does help some of them but is unlikely to stop the overall panic feelings until you know and understnad why they are there . Its very possible originally you had oen reason for panicing and now its a habit with new self taught triggers

Thoughts : Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=283)
First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Do stick around and we will support you in your journey to recovery

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

seh1980
27-10-04, 21:12
hello,

Welcome to the site!! I have panic attacks as well and suffer from agoraphobia. Are you on any meds? Do you see a counsellor at all?

I look forward to getting to know you better.

Sarah :D

Karen
27-10-04, 21:40
Hi Lilmiss

Welcome to the site.

I have panic attacks too and have social phobia. It seems like your boyfriend is a good support to you.

I am sure you will get a lot of support here.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.

jo-jo
27-10-04, 22:39
Hi Lilmiss

I too have panic attacks and anxiety and I have found this site to be truly wonderful!

A BIG welcome :D

Love Jo xx

notts110
28-10-04, 06:27
hi, you have certainly done the right thing by coming to this site,there's lots of info, help, and support to be had here,it has certainly helped me,we all find different ways to handle or beat this illness, i am sure you will find yours,good luck to you.

vernon
28-10-04, 13:07
Hi lil miss welcome to the site. I have suffered panic, anxiety and agrophobia for about 40 years now and remember faintly being anxious as a child. 40 years seems a long time but it comes and goes and have had lots off good years in between. Your boyfiend is great uyou are lucky for that part my wife is the same a great support and help. I think they when you are at home worrying when the next attac is gonna happen is making it happen. long spells of worry and fright just add the the problem, You need to try to not think about having an attack, the fright your are putting yourself through is the cause of the extra attacks. Try to do something to take your mind off this any hobby will help you not think about it. I recently read a book by Claire Weeks called essential help for your nerves. after all these years this book realy helped me and I can now stop a panic attack before i get one (but not always). I am not a reader but I started this book at the beginning and read a bit every night befor bed and found it relaxed me. Also if you feel you are thinking of it to much and am alone at night why not come to our chat room? lots there to talk to have a laugh and take your mind of it a little. all the best and take care Vernon

lilmiss
28-10-04, 18:58
thankyou everyone for making me feel so welcome, its so strange finding people jusl like me :D. So today, I went to work and thought to myself that it is getting rediculous worrying about going in and finding it hard and taking so much time off so I spoke to my boss and explained everything and we agreed to change my hours to part time instead of full time so im really pleased. She was really understanding and it turned out that someone who used to work there had exactly the same thing!!!

Also Im expecting my medication to arrive tomorrow, i went to a chinese doctor and he prescribed me some herbal tablets and i really hope they help.
Hopw your'e all ok.
xxx

Karen
28-10-04, 19:17
Hi Lilmiss

Glad to hear you are feeling a bit better. Hopefully going part time will take some of the stress off you.

I hope the herbal medication is helpful for you.

Karen

It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere.