PDA

View Full Version : Dentist appt tomorrow - nervous about spot on gums!!!

robin321
04-04-17, 13:33
Exactly one month ago I went for my dental cleaning. The dental nurse casually mentioned if I felt a spot on my gums. I said no, and she said it was likely a scar. Of course my 'what ifs' immediately started. But I was too nervous to ask the dentist. She poked around there, as I have a chipped tooth nearby (not near enough to cause scar I think) and an old filling. So I didn't ask, and thought 'well if she didn't mention it, then it must be fine'.

When I got to my car, I immediately looked and saw the raised white spot. I would never have noticed it before as it is behind my teeth. I panicked, and tried to scrape it off - which made it worse as now it was a cut white spot.

Over the past month it has gone down to the point I can barely feel it with my tongue. But I can feel it.
At times I have been obsessed and taken pictures, and stared as it. I have gone hours without looking, but always end up checking. Stress levels have been pretty high.

I am worried it will need to be biopsied. I know the chances of C are very low (I am 42, non smoker). But still, just the stress of thinking about waiting for the results is getting to me.

Last weekend I joined a website and sent a pic to a dentist there. He said it didn't look concerning, and wouldn't warrant biopsy unless I was a heavy drinker.

I have on average 1 to 1.5 drinks a day. Google says that is 'heavy'.

Anyway I am just venting! Tomorrow I go to the dentist to have the chipped tooth and filling fixed. I will ask. I should have asked right away. That is a lesson for me. Avoidance only makes things worse!

snowghost57
04-04-17, 15:20
Here in the states when we have a dental exam the dentist checks for oral cancer. I'm not sure what the credentials are of a "dental nurse." Not sure either how trust worthy a dentist is "online". True avoidance does make worry worse. Just trust your dentist and keep us posted!

robin321
04-04-17, 17:18
Thank you!

Here they also check (in Canada). For example, my wife had a white patch. She was advised to watch it. My wife doesnt stress like me, and only told me 6 months after the appt!
Anyway, at the next appt they agreed to laser it off and send for biopsy. It was supper stressed about it, she wasn't worried at all. It was all ok.

My dentist did poke around there, but didn't mention it so I don't know if that was because it wasn't important, or because she didn't see it. I will verify tomorrow. And I will post here! I hate when people don't follow up!

robin321
05-04-17, 15:16
So I went in, and basically it is nothing. The equivalent of a skin tag! They measured it (just in case it changes) but said it is not concerning at all!

I must have lost hours and hours researching and taking pictures!