PDA

View Full Version : Tingling/buzzing in left foot... it won't go away and I'm scared...

ElectricAlice
05-04-17, 21:09
I've had this on and off for around 6 years and because of things I've read online I scared myself it's MS related. It's mainly there all the time and sometimes it's both feet.

I was just wondering if anyone else gets this?
Also how to cope with a constant worrying symptom?

Sometimes I think it's because I tense my foot without realising I am.

I just feel like there's always something I worry about. Always!!

So this tingling along with my twitching eye = obsessive worry.

:(

countrygirl
05-04-17, 21:39
I have had tingling and buzzing in various place for over 30 years and I still don't have any neurological conditions. I personally feel it is related to the benign twitching that anxiety causes as I also often have a twitch on my face or body. Again this has been for at least 30 years!

For example I once 25 years ago got a buzzing sensation inside my left leg like someone tapping a tuning fork if you know what I mean. I had this all the time for 4 months and had endless tests and nothing could be found. then it went away. I have had it come back maybe twice since and its always gone away again. I can have a facial twitch lasting up to a year before it goes away for another one to appear, sometimes it only for a few weeks.

ElectricAlice
05-04-17, 22:15
Thanks for your reply! It's so annoying I wish I didn't worry about it.

I do wonder if it's aways been there but I noticed it more when my anxiety started.

Glad yours never came to anything!

Have you ever had it on the sole of your foot?

Josh1234
06-04-17, 03:15
6 years, eh? You don't think a debilitating neuro disease would have shown itself in that time?

flipp
06-04-17, 07:08
My foot tingles and is numb,have had nerve tests done and given the all clear my doc has reassured me it's anxiety related.
And Josh,you are a piece of work you prick.

ElectricAlice
06-04-17, 07:30
6 years, eh? You don't think a debilitating neuro disease would have shown itself in that time?

You do understand how anxiety works yeah...?

---------- Post added at 07:30 ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 ----------

My foot tingles and is numb,have had nerve tests done and given the all clear my doc has reassured me it's anxiety related.
And Josh,you are a piece of work you prick.

Thanks for your reply :)
How long have you had this for?
Does it come and go?
And did she say why it happens more specifically and what helps it?

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-17, 07:34
I'm 10 years into what one member described as "the buzzing bees". It's there when I sit or lie. If I get up and move around, it goes.

When I was really bad with anxiety, it was like it was in HD. Always there and highly in focus. As I worked on recovery, it became more a background issue to the point it doesn't bother me now as a symptom (although I'm not a HAer so I never doubted it as an anxiety symptom, although I hated it).

ServerError
06-04-17, 08:04
I don't necessarily agree with how Josh phrased his question, but he's right to point out the irrationality involved. Having anxiety doesn't mean you shouldn't be encouraged to see the irrationality at the heart of it, and to challenge it. In fact, if you want to get better and live without this disorder on the future, it's essential that you are exposed to this irrational thought process and begin to challenge it. Therapy is often helpful in doing this, and medication can be a useful ally too.

There's no way this is MS. It's not how MS presents. That's the key here. It doesn't matter what Google tries to tell you.

ElectricAlice
06-04-17, 10:11
I'm 10 years into what one member described as "the buzzing bees". It's there when I sit or lie. If I get up and move around, it goes.

When I was really bad with anxiety, it was like it was in HD. Always there and highly in focus. As I worked on recovery, it became more a background issue to the point it doesn't bother me now as a symptom (although I'm not a HAer so I never doubted it as an anxiety symptom, although I hated it).

Thanks for your reply! Sorry you had to go through that and glad you worked on recovery! I like your description of HD that is what I think is the case with me too.

Was it in your foot?

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 ----------

I know Josh was attempting to make me understand my fears were irrational and I appreciate that. But in my original post I actually did ask 'how to cope with a consistent worrying symptom?' - I'm not just looking for reassurance, I'm looking for coping skills.

I try to tell myself that MS doesn't present in such a way, or I would know about it by now, but unfortunately I've read so many stories online of people on MS forums who had benign sensory symptoms for a really long time before a diagnosis of MS.

Whilst logically I know it is highly unlikely to be anything sinister, anxiety always clings onto tiny chance it might be something bad.

And unfortunately I have had other symptoms that my anxiety ties into MS too.

I know a lot of people in this forum do want to help. And snapping someone out of their irrationality is a good thing. And I've been going through HA long enough to not let it phase me if someone's comment came across as rude.

I just think offering advice is always better than a blunt one liner, especially when the poster was actually asking for advice and not solely seeking reassurance.

ServerError
06-04-17, 10:24
The best advice is to see your doctor, get referred (or self-refer) for therapy, and consider medication. In the meantime, seek out online CBT resources. Other than those steps - all of which are important - it comes down to the extent to which you're willing to change from within. It does ultimately come down to you. If you truly can see the irrationality in your fear, you may not realise this, but you have an advantage. You have something you can work with.

I don't meant to seem confrontational. This is the best advice I can give. I've had some quite feisty responses in the past from trying to point people in this direction. But it's the only direction you can go if you really want to move past this.

ElectricAlice
06-04-17, 10:32
The best advice is to see your doctor, get referred (or self-refer) for therapy, and consider medication. In the meantime, seek out online CBT resources. Other than those steps - all of which are important - it comes down to the extent to which you're willing to change from within. It does ultimately come down to you. If you truly can see the irrationality in your fear, you may not realise this, but you have an advantage. You have something you can work with.

I don't meant to seem confrontational. This is the best advice I can give. I've had some quite feisty responses in the past from trying to point people in this direction. But it's the only direction you can go if you really want to move past this.

No, no - I totally understand and I have given others the same advice and been shot down myself on this forum, or ignored.

And really it is the best advice. Sometimes I'm pretty certain that these forums hinder health anxiety more than they help, in the long run anyway. I know it becomes a habit, it's easier to get constant reassurance than it is to really get stuck into hard work of cbt or use Claire weaks method of accepting symptoms and not reacting to them.

I agree if someone can see this then it's best to move away from the forum and stop seeking reassurance (once is fine haha). Some people here don't listen to any advice and only want reassurance, not realising that is just exacerbates their anxiety.

Thank you.

Fishmanpa
06-04-17, 12:59
No, no - I totally understand and I have given others the same advice and been shot down myself on this forum, or ignored.

And really it is the best advice. Sometimes I'm pretty certain that these forums hinder health anxiety more than they help, in the long run anyway. I know it becomes a habit, it's easier to get constant reassurance than it is to really get stuck into hard work of cbt or use Claire weaks method of accepting symptoms and not reacting to them.

I agree if someone can see this then it's best to move away from the forum and stop seeking reassurance (once is fine haha). Some people here don't listen to any advice and only want reassurance, not realising that is just exacerbates their anxiety.

Thank you.

The vast majority that do take that advice do move away from the forum. There's a group of members that no longer participate that started a Facebook recovery group (reassurance highly discouraged and called out).

A therapist will highly discourage participation as it does hinder healing. I agree that it's much harder to confront your anxiety and do the work necessary to overcome it but those that take that challenge do most often benefit. Those that don't will continue in the cycle and that's evident just looking at the boards and post history.

Yesterday, I posted something complaining about all the crap I have to deal with physically and mentally. Shortly thereafter I deleted it.. Why? As I learned in therapy, what good will it do me? I know what it is and why it is and I also know I'll have good days and bad days. It's about "acceptance". While my situation is different, the concept and method is the same.

People often post for reassurance and ask for advice. The best advice IMO is to seek therapy and take meds if needed. Truly it is.... Sadly, not everyone will heed that advice.

Positive thoughts

ElectricAlice
06-04-17, 13:17
The vast majority that do take that advice do move away from the forum. There's a group of members that no longer participate that started a Facebook recovery group (reassurance highly discouraged and called out).

A therapist will highly discourage participation as it does hinder healing. I agree that it's much harder to confront your anxiety and do the work necessary to overcome it but those that take that challenge do most often benefit. Those that don't will continue in the cycle and that's evident just looking at the boards and post history.

Yesterday, I posted something complaining about all the crap I have to deal with physically and mentally. Shortly thereafter I deleted it.. Why? As I learned in therapy, what good will it do me? I know what it is and why it is and I also know I'll have good days and bad days. It's about "acceptance". While my situation is different, the concept and method is the same.

People often post for reassurance and ask for advice. The best advice IMO is to seek therapy and take meds if needed. Truly it is.... Sadly, not everyone will heed that advice.

Positive thoughts

Yeah agreed - do you know the name of the group?

MyNameIsTerry
06-04-17, 13:35
Yeah agreed - do you know the name of the group?

It was a break away group from this board. Just look at cpe1978's threads as he started it and has posted about it.

---------- Post added at 13:35 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

Thanks for your reply! Sorry you had to go through that and glad you worked on recovery! I like your description of HD that is what I think is the case with me too.

Was it in your foot?[.

As far as bluntness goes, if the OP doesn't approve of that method, forum members should appreciate that and adjust. Some like the verbal slap but if you know they don't and still persist, it's just being disrespectful. I don't approve of the method, I prefer more respectful approaches for various reasons. I prefer you regard this place like a coordinating peer group, in those any rudeness means being stopped and even removed.

Is it in my foot? Yes, as we speak it's in both feet, lower legs, hands and forearms. At the worst I get the thighs too and the chest & stomach.

There are small levels of adrenaline kept around essential organs, it's not just in the blood. This might be why we get in the chest?

But it's very muted these days because I've made the progress. Many symptoms are gone but you can have some that seem to be there until you are closer to complete recovery. And as I'm primarily a GAD sufferer my anxiety was 24/7 7 days a week anyway.

You more naturally lack focus on them. It doesn't bother me now. Natural tolerance develops.

Therapy is worthwhile pursuing. You can self refer if you are in England & Wales with most IAPT services. Otherwise you need a GP referral. You could make a start with CBT workbooks. I can post a free one, if needed.

Mindfulness was something I found very helpful.

Josh1234
06-04-17, 14:31
The best way to cope with your fear of MS is to know that after 6 years of symptoms it's not MS.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

You do understand how anxiety works yeah...?

---------- Post added at 07:30 ---------- Previous post was at 07:29 ----------

Thanks for your reply :)
How long have you had this for?
Does it come and go?
And did she say why it happens more specifically and what helps it?

Yes, it works by feeding it reassurance and irrationality. It works by being coddled. It doesn't work when confronted directly with facts. Even in CBT, when they have you write lists of irrational thoughts and rational counters, it would look like this.

Irrational thought - I am scared I have MS, I have had symptoms for 6 years, and I can't take it anymore.

Rational counter - That is silly, I have no reason to fear MS, as 6 years is far too long to have symptoms without the disease showing up.

That is literally what a lot of therapists would have you write out and repeat, and it's literally what I said. - Josh the Prick

ElectricAlice
06-04-17, 16:53
The best way to cope with your fear of MS is to know that after 6 years of symptoms it's not MS.

---------- Post added at 13:31 ---------- Previous post was at 13:27 ----------

Yes, it works by feeding it reassurance and irrationality. It works by being coddled. It doesn't work when confronted directly with facts. Even in CBT, when they have you write lists of irrational thoughts and rational counters, it would look like this.

Irrational thought - I am scared I have MS, I have had symptoms for 6 years, and I can't take it anymore.

Rational counter - That is silly, I have no reason to fear MS, as 6 years is far too long to have symptoms without the disease showing up.

That is literally what a lot of therapists would have you write out and repeat, and it's literally what I said. - Josh the Prick

I kind of actually agree with what you're saying. And you have made me feel better by reading your reply here. I guess just be careful as some people don't like the tough approach. I don't think you're necessarily a prickly because you offer a lot of advice. Even if it is blunt. Sometimes having a laugh is the best medicine too.

ElectricAlice
09-04-17, 16:15
Could it be a trapped nerve perhaps?! How long do these things take to heal...? Can they be intermittent? Could it be my thyroid? It's stressing me out still...

ServerError
09-04-17, 16:51
If you stopped asking all those questions, do you think you'd still suffer so much? If you just allowed this feeling to be there without creating catastrophic narratives around it, how would that feel?

I get that, when you're an anxiety sufferer, simply choosing not to worry can seem impossible, and being told "not to worry" is useless. So I'm not saying "don't worry". I am, however, saying "allow". You can't force this thing to go away. No magic words on a forum will make it stop. No doctor can make it go away. But it will go away. I've had the feeling you describe in numerous different places. It always goes away. One reason I'm able to deal with it is that I've had treatment for anxiety, but I also don't catastrophise it. I know it's not MS, otherwise it would incapacitate me. Ditto a trapped nerve, or anything else serious. It's just benign nerve stimulation.

ElectricAlice
09-04-17, 19:29
If you stopped asking all those questions, do you think you'd still suffer so much? If you just allowed this feeling to be there without creating catastrophic narratives around it, how would that feel?

I get that, when you're an anxiety sufferer, simply choosing not to worry can seem impossible, and being told "not to worry" is useless. So I'm not saying "don't worry". I am, however, saying "allow". You can't force this thing to go away. No magic words on a forum will make it stop. No doctor can make it go away. But it will go away. I've had the feeling you describe in numerous different places. It always goes away. One reason I'm able to deal with it is that I've had treatment for anxiety, but I also don't catastrophise it. I know it's not MS, otherwise it would incapacitate me. Ditto a trapped nerve, or anything else serious. It's just benign nerve stimulation.

Thanks for your reply. I know that you're right and letting the sensations be and accepting them is the key I just can't seem to get there. It's like OCD or something, I feel I always need reassurance to feel better. Even though I know fine well it'll make me feel worse in the long run if I continue the behaviour. I just am so exhausted all the time, emotionally and physically. I feel like I'm wasting my life and I can't be myself anymore because I'm plagued by anxiety.

I feel like I'm trying to distract myself from the main problem and pain, which is my mums death 6 years ago when I was 22.

I also have an underactive thyroid and hashimotos (where your immune system attacks your thtroid) and because of this I know my chances of getting another auto immune disorder are increased. Therefore it always comes back to my fear of MS.

I know my thyroid plays a big part in my mental health and causes depression and anxiety. But sometimes I find it difficult to tell if it's thyroid or anxiety.

I think I need professional help :(

MyNameIsTerry
10-04-17, 06:13
Putting pressure on a nerve causes tingling. But then taking the pressure back off would stop it, although I'm only talking about when you lean and cause it. One trapped may take a bit more time but then there is inflammation to heal too.

Sciatica is one example of a nerve issue that can cause tingling right down into the foot & toes. But obviously you have the other symptoms too. I found the foot & toe tingling was on the worse days when I had this.

ElectricAlice
10-04-17, 12:05
I get it around the left side of my foot on the sole and on the top.

It got really bad when I went in a hot bath last night so it seems like it's nerve related.

But I've had one of those electric nerve testing things where you get strapped to little pads and they test your nerves. A conduction test I think it's called. And that was fine.

I dunno :(

mary jane
05-06-17, 21:27
the random buzzing in the foot is related to an overstimulated nervous system..I also had this in 2013 and now ...I treat it successfully with magnesium supplements..they take one or 2 weeks to work but they DO WORK