PDA

View Full Version : How long in general do your HA phases go on for?

Sollace
05-04-17, 21:31
Hell everybody.

Just wondering, in general, how long each of the good people here worry about a single disease.

This has just some to mind for me, as normally I have a few months between major scares however this hasn't been the case recently- with lung cancer being directly followed by bowel cancer, which lasted for around 5 months before it moved on to testicular cancer which I have been worrying (somewhat combined with bowel cancer) for the last 2 or 3 weeks, although no matter how fearful I am I have resolved not to go the doctor this time.

I've become almost exhausted from the constant feeling of doom that you get-before lung cancer I'd worried about leukaemia some 2 months before that- and even that only lasted for a few weeks, and all my scares before that rarely lasted over 2 months of near constant worry.

How long do phases of anxiety last for people here, in general then- is my new trend of it being ongoing for some months closer to a lot of people's experiences- or in general do people worry for shorter amounts of time?

unsure_about_this
05-04-17, 22:32
Mine bowel cancer worry went on for a long time, I had scans done, camera up the backside which was no fun, all what turned out was a small pouch which is common not serious. Now I am on testicular cancer I been to GP a number of times had an ultrasound last year as GP felt lump which sent my nerves up, some cysts was seen on the scan on the epdidymis. Also my heart
If I could I would visit the GP every day, and do lots of Googling which I have banned by forum members.

Drisque
06-04-17, 01:14
Bowel cancer nearly 3 years now....

panickingsince98
06-04-17, 05:07
My fears usually just pile up over time, but I've had certain fears since I was 14 (I'm in university now). They can be very hard to shake.

GlassPinata
06-04-17, 08:46
Hell everybody.

Just wondering, in general, how long each of the good people here worry about a single disease.

This has just some to mind for me, as normally I have a few months between major scares however this hasn't been the case recently- with lung cancer being directly followed by bowel cancer, which lasted for around 5 months before it moved on to testicular cancer which I have been worrying (somewhat combined with bowel cancer) for the last 2 or 3 weeks, although no matter how fearful I am I have resolved not to go the doctor this time.

I've become almost exhausted from the constant feeling of doom that you get-before lung cancer I'd worried about leukaemia some 2 months before that- and even that only lasted for a few weeks, and all my scares before that rarely lasted over 2 months of near constant worry.

How long do phases of anxiety last for people here, in general then- is my new trend of it being ongoing for some months closer to a lot of people's experiences- or in general do people worry for shorter amounts of time?

Generally a few weeks to a few months. After that, I either find some resolution (ie, go to a doctor) or simply lose interest (ie, decide that if it hasn't gotten worse after this amount of time, it's probably nothing).
Although sometimes I will revisit a particular anxiety, years later.
I mean, there's only so many types of cancer a person can have. I've thought I had oral cancer three different times over the years, and twice pursued medical testing to rule it out. The last time, I was uninsured and did not pursue medical testing, but the fear simply fizzled out on its own after awhile, and i moved on to the next thing.

unsure_about_this
06-04-17, 15:47
I worry a lot it a cycle, I have tried CBT to try to think differently instead of thinking the worst all the time if I get a symptom. I only been to the GP once this year, once, I been to the hospital not because I thought I was ill but standard checkup because of my NF, two blood tests (as I was asked to come back as my white cells were a bit high) and one brain scan due to my NF,
Every ache, mark, lump is cancer or something serious until it is proven.

PASchoolSyndrome
06-04-17, 16:01
I have a general fear of cancer. I literally have zero symptoms (no breast lumps, still scared, no diarrhea/constipation, still scared). It's not hindering at all, just a general worry I might be one of the "lucky" ones.

My lymph node anxiety spiral lasted about 2 months and I had a small ALS anxiety that lasted maybe a week.. other than that they're not very long at all.

Temascos
09-04-17, 22:02
Mine has only started from August of last year, but the reasons for it have been gradually shifting to what it really comes down to; fear of losing my mind and brain to a tumour/dementia/ etc.

I've been adjusting through CBT and actual physical routines and diets, and I think I'm getting closer to the general source of my health anxiety fears, it's not anything to do with my heart or lungs as I originally thought as I keep in decent shape. I'm hoping it won't last much longer.

Mav
09-04-17, 22:30
my spirals can last for an hour to a few days.

My actual anxiety will be going on for almost a year now. It's hell, though I'm getting better at coping these days even though I'm in the middle of tests for something.