PDA

View Full Version : Lymph nodes and thyroid cancer

stephmineo
05-04-17, 23:37
I sincerely hope everyone is doing as well as they can be.

I'm a 30 year old female who underwent a thyroidectomy last June for thyroid cancer. Did radioactive iodine treatment, and am currently awaiting a second surgery for nodes that either didn't respond to treatment or were missed the first go around.

The problem I'm facing now besides my incredible health anxiety, is that I seem to suddenly have swelling under my jaw. It very well could be the submandibular glands (a well known side effect of radioactive iodine treatment)but they aren't really painful which is what's making me nervous. I have been waking up with dry mouth every now again but I'm not sure if that's related.

Fast forward...Of COURSE I just couldn't keep my hands off my neck yesterday (I swear I literally never touched my neck even when I first got diagnosed with the 4 cm thyroid tumor!), and in all my poking and prodding I found a pretty significantly sized "lump". I'm pretty sure it's a lymph node, but it is very alarming, especially because I have confirmed recurrence on the same side of my neck, just lower and in the thyroid bed. It's on the left side of my wind pipe parallel to my "adams apple", about the size of an almond (but shaped more like a long, fat tic tac haha), taller than it is wide and semi "squishy" but also firm depending on how I move my neck. It moves a bit on three sides but seems to be fixed on one side, almost to a vein if that makes any sense. Again, I realize that nobody can make a diagnosis via the internet but I'm just beside myself as usual. I had an ultrasound at the end of January followed by the biopsy on the 1.5 cm node in the left thyroid bed which came back positive (hence the new surgery I will be facing). I've also had at least 3 separate docs do a clinical neck exam over the last 6 weeks and nobody mentioned this lump. It is easier to feel if I turn my head but still pretty noticeable if I'm looking straight forward. I just don't understand if they missed it, felt it and didn't think it was a big deal, or if one of those "suspicious" nodes that was originally identified on my follow up ultrasound all of a sudden doubled in size over the last few weeks, in which case I wouldn't be feeling too happy. My new surgeon ("fired" my old one due to horrific bed side manner and a generally dismissive attitude) swears up and down that this cancer is slow growing, but I can't help but think yet again something was either missed or just not brought to my attention. Man oh man I need to learn how to manage this fear, but sometimes it's oh so overwhelming. Sorry for the long winded freak out. Hope all of you are doing so so well!

Thanks so much in advance for any responses (especially on this new node I'm feeling "attached" to the vein)

PASchoolSyndrome
05-04-17, 23:41
I'm sorry to hear you're going through this.

Have you already spoken to your doctor about this particular lump?

stephmineo
05-04-17, 23:43
I literally just felt it yesterday by chance. I didn't normally touch that area of my neck. I just don't get if the ultrasound missed it, if the docs missed it during the clinical exams or if it's brand new. I literally have 8 upcoming appointments for different scans and operation planning things so I'm sure I'll get better answers soon but in this moment I feel such despair.

PASchoolSyndrome
06-04-17, 00:43
I understand it must be causing horrible anxiety!

The only thing I can say is lymph nodes can be decently enlarged in perfectly healthy people as well so just try your best and work on some calming techniques until you're able to see your doctor!

Fishmanpa
06-04-17, 00:59
I'm a survivor of SCC H&N Stage IVa, 4 years out and still NED. I truly understand the fear. I called it "scanxiety". It would rear it's ugly head around check up time. I also had a situation about a year out when the nodes on the opposite side of my neck swelled up. A CT showed them to be reactive to a virus but it sure was a scary week to be sure so I get it.

You know the drill... It's not cancer until they say it is and the best thing to do is make sure you bring it up with your docs when you go for your appointments. You're still in the midst of the battle so rest assured your doctors will address all your concerns. It can't hurt to give them a call to be seen earlier. You'll be getting further treatment so even if it is another affected node, it will be treated as well.

I found the key was to plow ahead regardless of the obstacles. A positive attitude is 90% of the battle. You're a fellow warrior and have the inner fortitude to deal with this... This I know for sure!

Keep your chin up and as always....

Positive thoughts

stephmineo
06-04-17, 01:44
I'm a survivor of SCC H&N Stage IVa, 4 years out and still NED. I truly understand the fear. I called it "scanxiety". It would rear it's ugly head around check up time. I also had a situation about a year out when the nodes on the opposite side of my neck swelled up. A CT showed them to be reactive to a virus but it sure was a scary week to be sure so I get it.

You know the drill... It's not cancer until they say it is and the best thing to do is make sure you bring it up with your docs when you go for your appointments. You're still in the midst of the battle so rest assured your doctors will address all your concerns. It can't hurt to give them a call to be seen earlier. You'll be getting further treatment so even if it is another affected node, it will be treated as well.

I found the key was to plow ahead regardless of the obstacles. A positive attitude is 90% of the battle. You're a fellow warrior and have the inner fortitude to deal with this... This I know for sure!

Keep your chin up and as always....

Positive thoughts

I've been on this board for such a short amount of time and have already been able to appreciate so many of your posts and your wonderful attitude amidst less than ideal circumstances. So thank you endlessly for taking the time to respond to me. Scanxiety is SO real and unfortunately (though I'm rather new to the cancer world) they don't seem to get any easier, blah. Gotta definitely keep my eye on the prize and move forward no matter what, just so scared about this new lump. I'll bring it up at my endocrinologist appointment tomorrow and go from there. Thanks again and positive vibes to you!

bab
05-05-17, 22:19
Hi there
I have also had TT and RAI- I know you are panicking and I have been since then but RAI does make your salivary glands play up even after a significant period of time. Try massaging and sucking sours to see if it is. Also the poking and prodding which I do all the time doesn't help. Lots of love x