PDA

View Full Version : Scary thoughts

Jennabarker
07-04-17, 04:09
I was watching this show and this girl killed Herself and it really scarred me. Now I'm having suicidal thoughts but I don't actually want to kill myself and these thoughts are scaring me. Are these from anxiety and worrying about it? I don't like this :(

Nzxt27
07-04-17, 05:01
It's ok calm down. How are you doing now? And maybe you should turn on sometime funny or more relaxing to watch

Jennabarker
07-04-17, 11:55
Is it actual depression? Or am I just obsessing about it

ServerError
07-04-17, 12:06
You're having intrusive thoughts, and you're anxious about what they mean. If you were genuinely suicidal, you'd know. You're not actually having suicidal thoughts - at least not with any desire to act on them. It's just meaningless noise in your mind, and you're attaching meaning to it, which is causing you distress.

lior
07-04-17, 12:23
ServerError is bang on!
It's just an intrusive thought. It's very normal to have the occasional one - very human. It doesn't mean that you are depressed.
People think about jumping off cliffs when they're next to a cliff, but it doesn't mean they want to die. It's just an intrusive thought. No need to dwell on it.

robin321
07-04-17, 12:57
This also has happened to me. Once I was driving at night, it was super dark and there were cars coming in the opposite lane.
I remember thinking about what would happen if I swerved into the other lane. Of course I never would, but it scared me that I thought about it. After that I would have mini panic attacks everytime I drove.

I finally learned (through research) that these types of thoughts are normal. It is obsessing about them which gives them bigger meaning and effects our lives. Instead of getting rid of these thoughts, the obsessing makes them come out more and effects our behavior. Once I learned to brush aside such thoughts, they went away - at least for the most part. And my distress over them went away completely.

Colicab85
07-04-17, 13:04
I had this the other night...it was, in my opinion, my first intrusive thoughts.

Id realised that id not felt "normal" in nearly a year and i suddenly thought how shit that made me feel and it would be better to just end it.

Scared the living shit out of me. But Server, you are right. I'm not actually suicidal. I love being alive and am determined to get myself back to "normal"

WoodChucker
07-04-17, 13:08
It happened to me before. After watching a serie the idea somehow stuck with me but I had no intention of doing it. But since it was a frightening idea I started to worry about it which resulted in being even more stuck.
Don't worry. It goes away in time when some other thing gets stuck in your mind. :)

ServerError
07-04-17, 13:25
The vast majority of thought is intrusive. If you think about it, how often do you choose what he's on in your mind. I have intrusive thoughts about suicide sometimes. I also find myself thinking about cheeseburgers quite a lot. The principle is the same. It's just impulses in the brain. I have no intention of taking my own life, and only sometimes do I actually want a cheeseburger.

The point is, you can take a lot of the sting out of unwanted thought by recognising it for what it is and not fighting it.

Brad10
07-04-17, 20:03
Hey I went through this last year and I couldn't calm down, I was so afraid of killing mysef for no reason it was just my anxiety, you're scared of the thought so it's sticking because you fear it so much, hope you feel better:) try to distract yourself that's what I did:)

MyNameIsTerry
07-04-17, 20:34
The vast majority of thought is intrusive. If you think about it, how often do you choose what he's on in your mind. I have intrusive thoughts about suicide sometimes. I also find myself thinking about cheeseburgers quite a lot. The principle is the same. It's just impulses in the brain. I have no intention of taking my own life, and only sometimes do I actually want a cheeseburger.

The point is, you can take a lot of the sting out of unwanted thought by recognising it for what it is and not fighting it.

99.9% of the threads on the OCD board are intrusive thoughts since I've been here.

Intrusive thoughts are the ego-dystonic ones, Mind Pops are the newer research into the non scary subconscious thoughts and what triggers them. But they believe the mind is much busier than they thought, something we all know from experience!

Rhiannon.
07-04-17, 20:35
Hi! I had terrible intrusive thoughts a few years ago. I literally had them every waking moment. I'd cry and felt like pulling my hair out, anything to get them to go away.
I was diagnosed with very bad OCD.

I still get them now and again, when my anxiety gets bad, but once you know what they are it becomes easier to ignore them. They are something everyone has at some point, the time to worry is when you never have a break from them.

Jennabarker
07-04-17, 21:20
Thank you guys!