PDA

View Full Version : How often does panic happen?

Caspian
28-10-04, 01:54
I really need some back up on this. I need to knowabout how often do your panic attacks happen because i really think I am having to many(At least 4 or 5 a day). Please help!:(

notts110
28-10-04, 06:34
hi caspian,i too used to have 3 or 4 panic attacks per day, sometimes more,i found that worry bought mine on,as soon as i had one i would be worried about having the next one and so on,i think you will find that this is why you are having so many at the moment,are you taking any medication,if not maybe you ought to see your doc,how long have you been having these attacks,any idea how or why they started?

nomorepanic
28-10-04, 08:31
Caspian

Once you are having that many that they say you are suffering from "Panic Disorder".

Are these full blown panic attacks or just anxiety attacks?

Does the doc know you are getting this many?

Nicola

twister
28-10-04, 13:34
If you feel anxious all the time you are diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder. If you have more than about 4 panic attacks in a month you are diagnosed as having panic disorder. I was diagnosed with panic disorder, mild agrophobia and generalised anxiety disorder so I got the whole lot!

When you have the panic attacks are you having full blown ones? In this case something like a short (week or two) course of Diazepam/Valium can be useful as it helps to break the cycle while you sort yourself out. See your doctor for some advice.

Emily

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
Understanding is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad

Meg
28-10-04, 14:25
It doesn't really matter how many you are having or what label you're diagnosed with .

One is too many in my book. Notts 110 is right. Often when the original cause of the panic has been left behind or not dealt with , we are left with fear of the fear and all sorts of wierd fears that then lead us to cause our own panic attacks based on how we're thinking about situations.

Thoughts : Lets try to keep our thoughts in perspective (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=283)
First Steps : First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Tell us about how these panics occur for you and what are the very worst bits .

Meg

It is impossible to get out of a problem by using the same kind of thinking that it took to get into it.
- Albert Einstein.

Caspian
28-10-04, 22:04
Well I probably don't have but about 1 or 2 full blown panic attacks a week but I have alot of smaller ones throughout the day and yes my doctor knows.

nomorepanic
29-10-04, 19:45
The smaller ones are probably more anxiety attacks.

Are you getting help with them atall?

Read Meg's post on First Steps - there may be something that you haven't tried yet.

Nicola

Rennie1989
29-10-04, 21:32
its hard for me to same

the beginning of this year i had 1 a day
then it went to 2 a day
then it died down to 1 to 2 a week
today i rarly get one but i do get a few anxiety attacks, some i never notice till i get home

if it progresses then see ur GP or do check First Steps, worth a read

Scooter Girl

if i was hungry would you feed me, if i fell you help me up, if i was crying would you brush away my tears

jo-jo
31-10-04, 21:01
Panic attacks can come pretty thick and fast when things are bad so don't worry that you are having too many as it were :D. In order to see just how bad your attacks are, try keeping a notebook to hand and every time you feel bad, write a score down from 1 - 10 with 10 being worst possible full on panic. As you say, you might find that your actual panic attacks are only happening every now and again and that the rest, horrible as they might be, are feelings of anxiety. Just knowing that not every one is a panic attack might help you a little. You could also try to write down a line or two about your feelings at the time it happens.

When I was at my worst I really did find that relaxation CDs helped loads, although sometimes it seems hard when you're feeling so anxious that its hard to concentrate but with patience, they help loads!

Hope you're feeling lots better soon.

Best wishes, Jo xx

jillyb
12-07-06, 06:56
I have some good news!!! Despite being in a somewhat permanent state of anxiety I am able to control my panic attacks. Years ago I was given a sheet about panic attacks by my Doctor. I used to read this over and over when I was having a panic attack. Concentrating on reading this meant that my breathing settled and, hey presto, panic over! It's hard work to overcome these things, but I can honestly say that I seldom have full blown panic attacks now. If I do, I can generally convince myself that it is just a panic attack and that's all. Good Luck and take care.