PDA

View Full Version : Lung Cancer or asthma?

JesseBarrett96
08-04-17, 20:10
So I went to the doctors yesterday for a physical and I was diagnosed with asthma(adult onset runs dads side of family) and allergies(mostly likely my roommates cat). I've been feeling short of breathe and nauseated the last month and a half. I felt a lot better when I left the doctors office but after a couple hours I came home and started to feel nauseous and feverish. This threw me into full blown panic mode. The inhaler my doctor prescribed me doesn't seem to be helping with the shortness of breathe I don't know if I'm not using it correctly or whats going on. I'm trying to stay rational but lung cancer is lingering in the back of my mind. I'm starting to think maybe I don't have asthma and the peak flow could of been abnormal due to anxiety I don't know if thats possible.

---------- Post added at 14:10 ---------- Previous post was at 13:21 ----------

I'm just wondering if any other sufferers experienced an abrmal peak flow due to anxiety.

Yoga*Lover
08-04-17, 20:22
Hi!

I'm a nurse on a respiratory ward. I've seen many patients who's peak flow has been reduced due to anxiety/panic. Essentially if you are hyperventilating due to anxiety you probably wouldn't get an accurate peak flow.
Do you find you are really focusing on your breathing? It could be that anxiety is exacerbating the asthma symptoms and making you feel like your inhaler isn't effective.
With regards to Lung cancer - I don't know how old you are but judging by the 96 in your name I'd say you were young? Lung cancer is very unusual in younger people. I've never seen it in anyone below 50. It usually presents with a cough that won't resolve and even that is more likely to be caused by something else.

Keep sticking with the inhaler and just remember that anxiety plays havoc with our breathing. Xx