PDA

View Full Version : I'm Confussed As To What To Do To Be Doing Right?

dinkydave
28-04-07, 17:17
I got a lend of the Linden Method of a friend this morning, one of the 9 pillars is to stop researching your condtion and discussing it. So basically i'm to avoid chat rooms like this.

Yet people on here seem to get great support from each other but in doing so seems to prolong your condition,

Do I stay on here? Or do I avoid anything to do with anxiety?

sarah1984
28-04-07, 20:10
You don't have to avoid NMP at all! I think what it means is that some people can get too wound up in researching their condition/bemoaning their lot while not doing anything pro-active to go about conquering it. Use this forum but use it constructively! I remember I told my crisis team worker that I'd bought a lot of books on anxiety and she warned me that it was all too tempting to read the first part about diagnosing your condition and symptoms while not reading the second half that tells you how to do something about it.
Don't avoid anxiety. Burying your head in the sand will never help. Instead learn to retrain your thinking processes to look at your fears from a different perspective. On your other post about books/courses, I've made some recommendations that might point you in the right direction.

kate
28-04-07, 23:33
For me personally it was very important that I found out everything there was to know about anx/depression. When I found this site I was so amazed and pleased that I had found so many people that knew exactly how I felt and could give me the support that I so desperately needed.

No one knows this illness unless they have suffered with it. I'd say bin the Linden Method and stay put!

Kate

Piglet
29-04-07, 00:15
I am of exactly the same opinion as Kate as I felt exactly the same when I found the site.

Sarah you have replied really well - I couldn't think what to say at this time of night cos my head is all woolly but you said what I think I wanted to say! :yesyes:

Go to bed now Piglet!

Piglet :flowers:

Jaco45er
29-04-07, 10:56
Imagine a time before the internet (obviously I am too young too ;) ). I often think if this was the 80's and I had my worst time then, what would I have done?

Finding all I could about anxiety on the net helped me to come to terms with it. Finding sites like this (although this is the best one I have ever found) made me realise that this was a common problem and I was not losing it.

That said, I think some people can be more affected by constant searching and spending thier time in forums if they don't act on the information received, or believe in it. Its down to the individual I suppose.

I don't know much about the Linden Method, but to be fair, if thats what it says then thats what it says.

Maybe you could post a new thread asking who has used this method. Then again, if they took the advice they wouldn't be here to read it lol.

TC

Jaco

P.S. I don't mean to be cynical, but I am a cynic, I have a question mark over these miracle cures you pay for. If it was so so good, the goverment would save millions dishing it out on the NHS, and health professionals would endorse it in such a way that the very method would be as common a household name as Prozac.

Who mentioned Placebo? not me.

Still, nothing ventured nothing gained.