PDA

View Full Version : Panic attacks for 30+ years

col123
28-04-07, 17:35
Hi
Time I got around to dealing with this.
Problem started in my last year at Uni. Maybe exam pressure, trepidation about finding a job, who knows?
Panic started when out jogging, needing a loo, you can guess the rest. Now I worry more about not finding a loo when I'm out...sometimes when I get off a train, often when I'm running, or simply out for a walk or shopping with my wife.
Hate the thought of medication. Just been referred for CBT. Need to address this as I'm constantly tempted to stop doing the things I enjoy 'just in case'...
Sharing this may help. It's a bit difficult for a 50+ year old bloke to admit to this type of condition, frankly quite embarrasing, but it might help to share the experience with others in the hope that I can be convinced that a 30 year long issue can be resolved.

clickaway
28-04-07, 18:28
Hi Colin

As someone 50+ myself, please don't feel embarrassed about your condition. I know it's difficult as I have to 'put off' people with no or a only a vague explanation when I'm invited to meet them, especially if it's a distance away.

It's great that you have some CBT lined up. Any idea when that might be?

Anyway, welcome to this forum - there are plenty of others here going through the same.

Cheers

Southern_Belle
28-04-07, 18:36
Hi,

Welcome to NMP. You will find alot of support and make many new friends here. I wouldn't worry about your age either as I'm almost there myself, I've had anxiety all my life, so you see you aren't alone.

Laura :)

Pink Princess
28-04-07, 18:36
hi col, welcome to the site, hope you get a lot of advice and support here. take kare xx

col123
28-04-07, 19:00
Thanks for your words of welcome, Ray.
CBT in a couple of weeks. Interested to see if this can provide a fix and how long it will all take.

up a ladder
28-04-07, 19:10
Not sure if this helps, but I suffered for years in the 1990s and after CBT for a few months from the Oxford Mental Health team (they were superb) I was free from anxiety, depression and panic.

The only downside is that I seem to be suffering again now.
CBT will give you tools to help, and for me they worked.
I spent £1000s of pounds on books remidies and all sorts before I saw my doctor and got referred. Recognition of the symptoms and admiting what they are is a big step.

I wish you luck.

col123
28-04-07, 19:16
Not sure if this helps, but I suffered for years in the 1990s and after CBT for a few months from the Oxford Mental Health team (they were superb) I was free from anxiety, depression and panic.

The only downside is that I seem to be suffering again now.
CBT will give you tools to help, and for me they worked.
I spent £1000s of pounds on books remidies and all sorts before I saw my doctor and got referred. Recognition of the symptoms and admiting what they are is a big step.

I wish you luck.
Hi 'up a ladder'
Yeh, reading about CBT suggests that it'll provide you with the tools to control the attacks, but I wonder about the underlying causes. Relaxation techniques don't really seem to address the background anxiety I often feel...tried breathing, lots of yoga, walks in the hills, etc. but these only usually bring some brief respite.
My GP suggested citalopram...rejected that idea...need to find out the more fundamental triggers I think

honeybee3939
28-04-07, 20:29
HI Col

Welcome to NMP, lovely to see you here hope we can be of some help.:)

Glad to hear your will be having CBT, im sure that will help with your recovery.

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

carl.h
28-04-07, 20:30
Hi col123 from a newby myself....

Triggers eh ????

I`d be very surprised if you haven`t been through most already along with the real causes of the anxiety, I think my Counsellor virtually gave up on finding an early life cause...There were too many to choose from, sexually abused from 3 to 13 (not good for a geezer bloke), been through two fires at an early age saw my sister burning both times, Father not around since birth, early youthfull marriage breakup etc., :ohmy: :blush: :D

Oh well, not to worry it`s been good since I got over the fact I had to prove myself ALL MAN. I don`t do looking back myself, it happenedand I am what I am :D

Possibly we`re all worriers and paranoid with it, I know I am....God is my mind racing cos someone spiked me ? :lac: :D

I know I have to live with ME as I am...I quite like me really which is a drawback as far as psychotherapy is concerned cos they say I`m unwilling to change (wonders how many here have heard that?)

I don`t want nor need the triggers or trips to my (though I talk in third party) murky past. I want/need to accept it`s a chemical phenomenon in my body and in 25 years I`ve not died or seldom needed hospital treatment.....and yes I`ve done the full falling on the floor bit crying and begging my wife to call an ambulance as I`m definately dying this time.:shrug: :D Big embarrasment for a he-man head of a family.

I`m waffling again, sorry, seldom do I talk about this without feeling that oh oh feeling and running away.

Anyway welcome and if I can help....shout.

Carl

Ellen70
28-04-07, 22:45
Hi Col, welcome to NMP. I have had panic attacks and gad for twenty years and it is only in the last few years that I have stopped caring what others think of me because of it.
Please try not to be hard on yourself for the way you are because a 'man' shouldn't have these problems, it is a health matter and is no more embarrassing to have than a stomach ulcer or a heart condition.
I had three years of 'talk' therapy and took my childhood and young adulthood to pieces and analysed ever piece. The therapist was great and it was good to have someone to talk so honestly with. However if I had my time over I would have chosen CBT as we need to deal with our lives as they are right now.
I have posted this elsewhere but there are a few free online cbt courses that you could try first. I am doing one at a site called http://moodgym.anu.edu.au/.

Hope you find the NMP site useful and friendly.

Take care

Eibhlin

col123
29-04-07, 08:22
Hi again
Thanks to all who have posted words of welcome. I'm encouraged.
CBT seems to get your vote, over-analysing the past doesn't.
Having just read the Dalai Lama's 'The Art of Happiness', there's one quote I thought I'd share...I depend on it a lot!

On day-to day problems that cause worry, remember if the situation or problem is such that it can be remedied, then there is no need to worry about it. Alternatively, if there is no way out, no solution, no possibility of resolution, then there is no point in being worried about it, because you can’t do anything about it anyway.

There's much in this book which may help us all. I have a three page summary of it...I'm happy to post this if people are interested.

manmoor
29-04-07, 15:18
Hi Col,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

Kathleen
30-04-07, 09:06
Hey Col,
I am new myself and I just wanted to say welcome and tell you that I am amazed that you got through all those years without anyone knowing. That is mind control in itself so I know that your mind is strong enough to help you out with the right tools!
Welcome!
Kathleen

P.S. Don't worry about your age (or anything else for that matter) I'm 42 and just getting going here. :winks:

groovygranny
30-04-07, 09:52
Hi col, big :welcome:to you...

...from another 50+ er !!

Hope this will be the beginning of the end of the last 30 yrs for you:).

Help and support here in abundance!

nomorepanic
30-04-07, 19:39
Hi Col

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

You will meet some fantastic people and get loads of support and advice.