PDA

View Full Version : Does medication really take 6-8 weeks to work...

Benjammin69
09-04-17, 15:44
Hi All...

I'm having a bit of a down day and reflecting on my most recent episode... I have been taking my new mirtazapine dose for 29 days and my new quetiapine dose for 11 days...

I can't help but think I should be better than I am, spending less time wrapped up in my intrusive thoughts. Shouldn't these meds be working by now for depression and anxiety??

Do meds really take 6-8 weeks to work...

panic_down_under
09-04-17, 22:46
Shouldn't these meds be working by now for depression and anxiety??

Do meds really take 6-8 weeks to work...

Antidepressants typically take 3-12 weeks to kick-in. Antipsychotics usually work fairly quickly at sedating people, but take longer to address psychosis.

Benjammin69
10-04-17, 11:24
Antidepressants typically take 3-12 weeks to kick-in. Antipsychotics usually work fairly quickly at sedating people, but take longer to address psychosis.

3-12 weeks really that's a joke! Or it's not a joke for the sufferer I'm now 4 weeks on mirt 45mg and whilst depression has gone the anxiety is rife!

The seroquel doesn't really sedate me either I actually question whether or does anything... I'm only 2 weeks on on 150mg xr...

Nothing seems to control the anxiety :-(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benjammin69
10-04-17, 17:06
Panic_down_under - I have just received a call from mental health team who want to do a medication review on April 20th, I really need to be back at work on May 3rd so I don't have much time to play with... what would you suggest I ask for or do!? I have been on mirtazapine since august and it does deal with my depression but not my anxiety.... I have titrated up my quetiapine to 150mg now over last month... so you reckon I should go for more of a quetiapine increase say 300mg and ask for a benzo to help the adjustment period?

panic_down_under
10-04-17, 22:37
I really need to be back at work on May 3rd so I don't have much time to play with... what would you suggest I ask for or do!? I have been on mirtazapine since august and it does deal with my depression but not my anxiety.... I have titrated up my quetiapine to 150mg now over last month... so you reckon I should go for more of a quetiapine increase say 300mg and ask for a benzo to help the adjustment period?

I don't rate either med as a long term anxiety treatment and think you have better options. However, given the time constraints upping the quetiapine dose might enable you to get back to work on May 3rd.

Benjammin69
18-04-17, 17:19
Been to my normal doctor today and he has prescribed an extra 50mg seroquel xr to be taking when I wake up and then 150mg xr and 45 mirtazapine for in the evening...

Got my appointment with my psych doc on Thursday.... hopefully he just leaves it the way it is.

Thoughts??

panic_down_under
18-04-17, 23:12
Thoughts??

I don't really see the point of taking the mirtazapine. It seems to be doing little for either anxiety, or insomnia. You're going to have to wait to see whether the higher Seroquel dose helps.

Both meds are very potent antihistamines which mostly ease anxiety via sedation, but you don't seem to respond to this for some reason.

Benjammin69
19-04-17, 07:34
I don't really see the point of taking the mirtazapine. It seems to be doing little for either anxiety, or insomnia. You're going to have to wait to see whether the higher Seroquel dose helps.

Both meds are very potent antihistamines which mostly ease anxiety via sedation, but you don't seem to respond to this for some reason.

I don't know why it doesn't sedate me - nothing seems to do that.

My doctor didn't want to change too many head meds at once so he is increasing the quetiapine to 'quieten my brain activity' as my anxiety causes intrusive thoughts and panic.

I get to see my PDoc tomorrow so will talk it through with him as well. Altho he is a numpty!

Wilburis
19-04-17, 12:18
Hi

I just wanted to wish you good luck for tomorrow.

xx :flowers:

Benjammin69
19-04-17, 12:19
Hi

I just wanted to wish you good luck for tomorrow.

xx :flowers:

Thank you Lizzie :-) hope your feeling a bit better xx

Wilburis
19-04-17, 12:24
Thank you.

Please let us what happens tomorrow xx

Benjammin69
19-04-17, 12:29
I will do :-) I got my 45 minute assessment first then meds etc so I'll have to see if f they can control my brain! X

panic_down_under
19-04-17, 13:52
I get to see my PDoc tomorrow so will talk it through with him as well. Altho he is a numpty!

It seems to be a common affliction among psychiatrists. Ime, most are also nuttier than their patients. :scared15:

Benjammin69
19-04-17, 14:13
It seems to be a common affliction among psychiatrists. Ime, most are also nuttier than their patients. :scared15:

I've tried loads of meds and he knows that and nothing seems to work so I don't know what else he can offer me with so little time for error due to getting back to work.

He just nods, writes his notes and says your not showing signs of psychosis but then prescribes me seroquel [emoji23]

panic_down_under
19-04-17, 22:47
He just nods, writes his notes and says your not showing signs of psychosis but then prescribes me seroquel

He's appears to be prescribing it not because he suspects psychosis, but because Seroquel can calm people down very quickly through sedation. It isn't a good anxiety or depression med despite the makers recent promotion of it for these, but sedate people enough and it can appear to be.

Benjammin69
20-04-17, 10:23
He's appears to be prescribing it not because he suspects psychosis, but because Seroquel can calm people down very quickly through sedation. It isn't a good anxiety or depression med despite the makers recent promotion of it for these, but sedate people enough and it can appear to be.

But I do tell him these meds do not sedate me at all. I even take it in the morning now and go about my day normal - swimming, driving etc I just need a med to calm down my racing thoughts and my panic.

---------- Post added at 10:23 ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 ----------

Hi :-)

Been to my psych.. we spoke about my depression/anxiety and he says mine come in episodes - tell me something I don't know.

We discussed meds he said I could either add venlafaxine to my mirtazapine and quetiapine... or we could further increase the quetiapine to 250mg to control the episodes...

I asked for the one with least side effects and he said the quetiapine so I will be taking 50mg xr quetiapine AM and 200mg quetiapine PM alongside 45mg mirtazapine. And he threw a few diazepam smarties in too! 😂

Hopefully this helps and helps fast!

Wilburis
20-04-17, 10:25
Hello

I hope you start to feel better soon

xx

Benjammin69
20-04-17, 10:25
Hello

I hope you start to feel better soon

xx

You too :-) chin up x

panic_down_under
20-04-17, 13:07
We discussed meds he said I could either add venlafaxine to my mirtazapine and quetiapine... or we could further increase the quetiapine to 250mg to control the episodes...

I asked for the one with least side effects and he said the quetiapine so I will be taking 50mg xr quetiapine AM and 200mg quetiapine PM alongside 45mg mirtazapine. And he threw a few diazepam smarties in too! ��

Sigh! Any chance of getting a second opinion?

At least you dodged the venlafaxine. It has no advantage over other SSRIs - despite the SNRI tag, it really is only a SSRI - but is notoriously hard to quit.

Benjammin69
20-04-17, 14:13
Sigh! Any chance of getting a second opinion?

At least you dodged the venlafaxine. It has no advantage over other SSRIs - despite the SNRI tag, it really is only a SSRI - but is notoriously hard to quit.

How about hydroxyzine for my anxiety? I have managed to get my hands on a packet or 2 of those! :-)

panic_down_under
20-04-17, 22:50
How about hydroxyzine for my anxiety? I have managed to get my hands on a packet or 2 of those! :-)

No. You are already taking two, much more powerful, antihistamines. If they aren't sedating you enough then adding hydroxyzine will do bugger all. The problem is all the meds you're on work the same way and it doesn't seem to be effective.

Benjammin69
21-04-17, 06:59
No. You are already taking two, much more powerful, antihistamines. If they aren't sedating you enough then adding hydroxyzine will do bugger all. The problem is all the meds you're on work the same way and it doesn't seem to be effective.

Well... 250mg seroquel, 45mg mirtazapine and 50mg hydroxyzine finally sedated me. I am tireeeeeed this morning.

panic_down_under
21-04-17, 08:58
Well... 250mg seroquel, 45mg mirtazapine and 50mg hydroxyzine finally sedated me.

That will mostly be from the Seroquel dose increase.

Benjammin69
21-04-17, 09:00
That will mostly be from the Seroquel dose increase.

I'm not sedated anymore and my mind is going 100mph again with intrusive repetitive thoughts grrr I thought the seroquel would stop this. Never mind it's early days

Wilburis
21-04-17, 09:01
Goodness! xx

:ohmy:

Benjammin69
21-04-17, 09:13
Goodness! xx

:ohmy:

I know :-(