PDA

View Full Version : Is this considered "frequent infections"???

Eventhesparrows
10-04-17, 06:18
In January I had a random cold sore. I had another in February. In March I had a small abscess on my labia which was cured with antibiotics (but I got another cold sore from the fever from the infection), now here it is April and I've got a yeast infection (and I stopped the antibiotics 2 weeks ago, so it's not that!). What the heck? This is unusual for me, but I'm afraid it's pointing to leukemia/lymphoma.

PASchoolSyndrome
10-04-17, 11:17
The cold sores are probably herpes, which is viral. Talk to your doctor what those sores really are because if it's herpes antibiotics do nothing.

Antibiotics can make yeast infections much more likely.

Rest assured.

Eventhesparrows
10-04-17, 13:58
The cold sores are definitely herpes. I usually get them a couple of times a year, but they're always preceded by extremely chapped lips or a fever. These two just popped up out of nowhere.

And I was only on antibiotics for the abscess, which cleared it up nicely.

I don't believe the yeast infection was from the antibiotics, simply because it's been two weeks since I took my last antibiotic pill.

PASchoolSyndrome
10-04-17, 14:26
Right I understand that the timing seems off. However antibiotics do not work in one place. They kill the nasty bacteria in an infection but they also kill the good bacteria in your body as well. There is a whole ecosystem in your vagina that can be disrupted while taking antibiotics, which just makes it an easier environment for a yeast infection.

By all means please call your doctor and ask questions, but I can promise you that we ask patients if they have been on antibiotics in the past 6 months, so two weeks is no time at all and would definitely make 2+2 = 4. I'm not your doctor but your situation is literally textbook... which is good!

Eventhesparrows
10-04-17, 14:35
Ok, good! Thank you for the reassurance! So this doesn't sound like frequent infections with an underlying cause to you? (Cancer, diabetes)

PASchoolSyndrome
10-04-17, 15:05
No it doesn't at all! It sounds like you recently used antibiotics and got one of the "complications" for lack of a better term. Recurrent infections are if you took the antifungal for the yeast infection, and then got another one. And then another one. All despite proper medication use or lack of obvious causes.

I hope you do feel reassured! By all means it never hurts to have a conversation with your doctor. As proud as I am of my education and the work I put into it, I'm still a random stranger on an anxiety board and your doctor obviously knows YOU better.

ScaredLizard
10-04-17, 18:16
Hello! The antibiotics can definitely cause YI up to a month after taking them. I've been there done that!

Eventhesparrows
11-04-17, 01:36
Great, my 1 year old has strep. I'm (obviously) her main caregiver. If I get it too, not only do I have to worry about another antibiotic cycle WHILE having a yeast infection, but it'll also send my anxiety through the roof again because of the "frequent infections" fear...I.e. leukemia/lymphoma fear.

GlassPinata
11-04-17, 03:47
You are talking about viral infections, bacterial infections and fungal infection.
There is a lot of difference between the three. They are probably not related.
I think you've just had a run of bad luck, although it is possible your immune system is low right now and you might want to take some vitamins.

Best wishes.

Nac6
11-04-17, 04:52
Usually cold sores take his place when the immune system its "depressed", what doesn't mean that you have an underlying disease (like cancer, autoimmune or whatever you think), most frequently it can be caused by emotional or physical stress, poor dieting or just a reason that isn't relevant. My girlfriend frequently have cold sores when she is nervous about something or when she finds herself under a big emotional stress. The infection goes away in 7-10 days. In my case, I have canker sores when I'm very anxious, wich sometimes makes my submandibular lymph nodes to swell and they hurt. All goes away in a few days too, but always come back in a couple of weeks.
Nothing to worry!