PDA

View Full Version : Here again

up a ladder
28-04-07, 18:57
Well, first time for this forum, but not to panic.

My name is David and from about 1996-2000 (ended when my daughter was born) I suffered Panic attacks that lead to depression. I managed to deal with work and just about held it all together with the aid of lithium and Amatriptilin (???)
I had problems with meetings, travelling and being away from home, heights and social situations.
The work side of things was a nightmare, I would wake hours before I needed to and spend hours in blind panic. Something as simple as a team meeting would trigger this. I had multiple meetings that would take me away for days at a time, these were tricky. I can remember sitting for over 5 hours in a permanent state of panic. This literaly happened for years and in nearly every meeting I was at.

Despite all this, after my daughter was born; it stopped and only had one episode when I had to do a Best Man speech in front of 400 people.

That was until the last few weeks. Recently I have found, I am again dreading meetings and have one in central London next week. I am now panicking. This started recently and have found that I have a terrible fear of heights and this can be only a two storey building. I don't need to be able to see down, I was in a meeting room in the centre of a building on the third floor and I was extremely anxious.
Oddly enough, I used to rig communication dishes and frequently worked at heights of 300 ft plus. Odd.

Anyway, that is me and I can't say I am happy to be here, but glad there is such a great site for me to get assistance from and not feel alone.

sarah1984
28-04-07, 20:15
Welcome David, hope you will find the support you need here. Are you still on the meds? Have you looked into the possibility of CBT (cognitive behavioural therapy)? While meds can help mask the fear, CBT helps you to confront your fears face on and look at your worries from a different perspective.

honeybee3939
28-04-07, 20:16
Hi David

Welcome to NMP, its lovely to see you here, i hope we can be of some help.:)

Take a look at the Symptoms, How to Cope and First Step pages that are sittuated at the left hand side of this page, im sure you will find them of interest.:)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

Southern_Belle
29-04-07, 02:57
Hi David,

A warm hello to you. You will find a lot of information, support and friends here.

Laura :)

Scarlett77
29-04-07, 12:53
Hi David,

Welcome to the site!

Scarlett x

trac67
29-04-07, 13:48
Hi David,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

eastender
29-04-07, 14:11
Hi David, welcome to NMP

soulsurfer
29-04-07, 15:15
hi dave
Welcome, lots of great info on like you dont want to be here at this site but feel happier for some where to vent my feelings
phil

manmoor
29-04-07, 15:19
Hi David,

A big warm welcome to you. xx

SANDYJANE
29-04-07, 16:11
hi and a big warm welcome

love sandy xxx

Jaco45er
29-04-07, 16:17
Hi David

Welcome to the forum.

I have had exactly the same problem with meetings in the past (especially central London), so feel free to give me a shout mate if you want to have a chat about how I coped in them.

Regards,

Jaco

up a ladder
29-04-07, 21:02
Thanks all for the warm welcome.

I wish this forum was around 10 years ago.

Jaco, thanks for the offer.. I will take you up on the kind offer.
Good to know I am not the only person who has the problem.

groovygranny
29-04-07, 22:44
Hi David, big :welcome:to you!

Yeeeew! I hate heights too, but have managed to conquer it just a little bit! Happy to help if I can!

I have a meeting on Friday 11th May and I'm already thinking up excuses not to go:noangel: - but I can't get out of it :weep:.

Anyway, you'll find lots of support and help here!

nomorepanic
30-04-07, 19:39
Hi David

A warm welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

You will meet some fantastic people and get loads of support and advice.

up a ladder
30-04-07, 21:28
I took a gamble today and updated a friend of mine who I have only known for a short while and it was like reading a diary of my own past experience with panic. He hates flying and he is an airline pilot... Well actually, it's not the flying but the being locked into the cockpit for hours at a time.

The last time I confided in a friend, he basically ran off thinking I was mad and that it was contageous.:shrug:

That conversation was sooo helpful and I felt a great deal better for it.

Also went to the docs today and got a small dose of Amatriptolin and Citalopram. It strikes me as odd that one of the side affects of the Citalopram is panic attacks and suicidal tendencies.
Should I take them?????

Also said friend recommended a Life Coach to me who he said was excellent.
She seems to do a mixture of Cognotive and hypnotherapy. I am quite warey of counseling as I was seeing one for two nights a week for 4 years at a cost of £100 per week..She did me no good whatsoever.

Pink Princess
01-05-07, 19:52
hi and welcome to the site, hope you get good friends here and a lot of good support to get you betetr xxxx take kare xx