PDA

View Full Version : Psoriasis and links to cancer

hannah123
10-04-17, 07:04
Hi, I am fairly new to this page but was hoping someone could help. I've suffered with psoriasis on my scalp since I was about 16 (now almost 27) and health anxiety and panic attacks since the age of 11. I put up with the psoriasis for the last ten years after trying every cream/shampoo/ointment under the sun. Some worked for a while but the effects wore off. I was referred finally to a dermatologist after the psoriasis spread to my legs and I developed small red scabs on by bottom and back. I was offered photo box therapy and 2 different medications as a result of this appointment. After researching the medication I've decided this is definitely not an option I am going to take purely down to the side effects and other complications they can cause. However whilst researching I came across all this terrifying information about the links of cancer and psoriasis. I read that people who suffer psoriasis are 3 times more at risk to develop certain cancers especially lymphoma. This has absolutely terrified me as my worst fear is getting cancer and this is usually what will flare up my health anxiety again. I am in desperate need of some advice or reassurance as I can't get this out of my head. I learnt a long time ago that googling things like this can never end well but only researched the disease on the advice of a dermatologist. Now I'm petrified that my psoriasis is going to result in me developing some sort of cancer. Help!!

PASchoolSyndrome
10-04-17, 11:15
Riss factors are everything and nothing at all.

Scientific point of view: Psoriasis is a problem with your immune system. Your immune system is attacking yourself and causing psoriasis. Medications for psoriasis help suppress that immune system block. Lymphomas are an immune system cancer. In plain terms by having an already dysfunctioninf immune system it gives it more chances to make one of those mistakes that leads to a mutation that could potentially lead to one of those cancers.

From a clinical point of view: Your risk of developing any cancer is so low, keep things in perspective. If your risk is .05%, a 3x increase is .15%. They have to put those warnings in those medications and such because it maybe happened to 1 or 2 people during all of those trials, who probably had other factors involved too.

Risk factors are everything and NOTHING at all.

Best of luck!