PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone feared MS before? How did you overcome your fears?

ElectricAlice
10-04-17, 18:12
And what kind of things did you experience?

What helped you overcome these fears?

Many thanks
X

KaylaR88
10-04-17, 23:46
I've had this fear numerous times. Then I switched to ALS and then back to MS etc.. Took a bit to get over, I was really convinced that the symptoms I created were due to MS. The first time around I had an MRI done to check things out. came back fine, of course. Long story short, I got over the fear because I rationalized with myself. I took the worse can scenario and said "even if that happens, what can I do?" Because of course that's all this health anxiety is. We create danger around these potential conditions when there are millions of people living with them everyday. I learned to try and be grateful for the health I have and stop spending so much time dwelling on my imagined illnesses. Easier said than done but if you think about it rationally, We're terrified of illnesses that might kill us or change our quality of life, right? wellllllll, think about how much life you miss out on fearing these things. Think about your quality of life with this weight on your shoulders.

Mango2
11-04-17, 07:41
I'm in the "MS-boat" right now. Irrational of course as I know life goes on for those who have the illness. Somewhere I think I'm just afraid of losing control of my body.
Wish I could help you with som suggestions as to how to get over the fears, just wanted to say you're far from alone.. :-)

axolotl
11-04-17, 09:29
I had very bad MS fear a couple of years ago, due to generalised tingling. I had various tests, and everything was clear, and a neurologist concurred it was anxiety + a possible slight B12 deficiency. I'd stress as well through the whole thing the neurologist thought it very unlikely to be MS, but did the tests as a precaution.

Tingling (if this is what you're worried about) is a very common anxiety symptom, and MS is quite rare. Also MS doesn't present with generalised tingling that roams around the body - it's about specific nerves being affected. (And ALS? Everyone should put it out of their heads - it's ridiculously rare in most demographics, and doesn't present anything like the way anyone with ALS fear seems to think it does).

But HA isn't rational, our fears are largely arbitrary, and getting help for anxiety is the best bet, rather than swatting away each irrational fear that comes our way.

walkerbull
11-04-17, 10:20
I had very bad MS fear a couple of years ago, due to generalised tingling. I had various tests, and everything was clear, and a neurologist concurred it was anxiety + a possible slight B12 deficiency. I'd stress as well through the whole thing the neurologist thought it very unlikely to be MS, but did the tests as a precaution.

Tingling (if this is what you're worried about) is a very common anxiety symptom, and MS is quite rare. Also MS doesn't present with generalised tingling that roams around the body - it's about specific nerves being affected. (And ALS? Everyone should put it out of their heads - it's ridiculously rare in most demographics, and doesn't present anything like the way anyone with ALS fear seems to think it does).

But HA isn't rational, our fears are largely arbitrary, and getting help for anxiety is the best bet, rather than swatting away each irrational fear that comes our way.

I've been worried constantly about Brain Tumour's for the last month, been first to the doctor for a lump on the back of my head which turned out to be nothing. Now, I constantly go in circles convinced (sometimes) that I have one because I worried about it too much. Ah, the mustings of Anxiety.

Catherine S
11-04-17, 11:03
I would second what Kayla said, that's a great reply and sums it up well. MS is a very large umbrella under which there are lots of different levels of the condition and for many people it's liveable with. Hypochondriacs will always choose to worry about the very worst of any illness and obsess over It.

To get through any health fear you have to face it and make sense of it, then accept that sometimes these things do happen to us... just not very often, and even if they do we would cope and find a way to live with them. In reality, we wouldn't crack up and just wait for illnesses to do the worst, we would deal with them because that's what human nature does.

I'm 63 now and have been living with ectopic palpitations since my early 20s and just like the people on nmp who fear them, I did too, they absolutely floored me and I was totally convinced I had heart disease. The heart attack I was always waiting for didn't happen and 40 years later i'm still here. I've lost the fear of them now of course but I wasted alot of years in that fear. My brother was diagnosed with MS in his 40s and he'll be 60 in a few weeks so he's lived with it for almost 20yrs. It hasn't always been easy for him but once the worst actually happened he faced it.

ISB x

ElectricAlice
11-04-17, 15:00
Thanks for everyone's replies I really really appreciate the help.

It makes a big difference to my mind set reading them.

Yeah it's basically tingling, tiredness and a spaced out depersonalisation feeling with a loss of sensation in my left hand that led me to self diagnose MS.

I've had a tingling in my foot on and off for 6 years. And I also get it in my left cheek and my left hand. And a burning sensation and numbness across my back. I also get anxiety and low mood that I keep thinking the MS causes. I try to rationalise that I'd know about it by now if I had it.

Oh and a twitching right eye. (Had it for almost 3 weeks now)

But I've read so much about it that I feel sometimes I definitely have it.

I got an MRI but it was only 6 months after the first onset of symptoms and they only did my brain not my spine. So I keep thinking it was too early to detect. :(

I have noticed that I constantly tense and hold my left foot weirdly and the back burning is always worse when I've been active. So maybe it's caused by muscle tension...?

Right now it feels like a phone is vibrating on the sole of my foot.

ServerError
11-04-17, 15:29
Not trying to have a go at you, but, with respect, your above post is just another list of symptoms. You started the thread asking how people learn to cope, but you've now moved on to the same old same old. This pattern is not unique to you. One thing you see around here a lot is people shifting tactics in search of the same old reassurance.

Don't get me wrong, I've no doubt you were sincere in asking for ways to cope, and you got some brilliant responses. But it's worth stepping back and taking a look at your own posting behaviour. Many of us have had to do this, including myself. You've had your advice, and now you've gone back to reassurance seeking.

The truth is that, as others have said, you need to find a way to face reality, which includes the possibility - usually unlikely - that these illnesses could happen to you, and that you'd find a way to deal with it if it did. You also have to start to look at your own irrationality and challenging it. But nobody's suggesting you should do this alone. If you have emotional support around you, great. If not, you can still improve. Therapy and medication are the best tools we currently have in our anti-anxiety arsenal. The basic answer to your original question - how do you learn to cope? - is to get help.

Catherine S
11-04-17, 15:30
Have you ever discussed your many symptoms with a doctor? That would be the best thing to do next.

ISB ☺

ElectricAlice
11-04-17, 17:34
I've discussed my symptoms with so many Dr's. I've seen a neurologist and they're sending me back to see one but the waiting time is 38 weeks.

I took a hot bath and my feet tingled even more. And I feel all woozy.
This points to MS too :(

Could i really have tingling for 6 years and have MS?

I hate Google.

Got myself into a panic again.

Catherine S
11-04-17, 17:49
I was actually going to say more or less what ServerError says. You're saying you appreciate everybody replying and it means alot etc, but you're not taking any advice on board about getting out of the loop, you just keep telling us about your symptoms. I also didn't realise you've seen so many doctors about this.

Not sure what more anybody here can advise you really, except to seek help for your mental health, then your physical health will improve too.

ISB x

Wilburis
11-04-17, 17:58
Hi

OMG, how can the wait be sooooooooooooo long?

That's ridiculous.

x

ServerError
11-04-17, 18:12
Hi

OMG, how can the wait be sooooooooooooo long?

That's ridiculous.

x

Why would it be any quicker in this case?

Wilburis
11-04-17, 18:14
TBH I thought you were seen within 18 weeks.

x

Catherine S
11-04-17, 18:22
Lizzie, Alice could look at it another way (instead of getting so hysterical about it) the doctor hasn't fast-tracked it so obviously isn't that worried.

ISB ☺

ElectricAlice
11-04-17, 18:37
Actually he said that's the waiting time even for people with a lot more severe symptoms than mine... Scottish NHS is pretty overworked.

I am trying to take on board advice - I'm sorry it seems like I'm not :( . It's just really difficult when more and more or my symptoms seem to point to MS.

I don't know. I feel so utterly depressed with all this :(

axolotl
11-04-17, 19:29
I've discussed my symptoms with so many Dr's. I've seen a neurologist and they're sending me back to see one but the waiting time is 38 weeks.

I took a hot bath and my feet tingled even more. And I feel all woozy.
This points to MS too :(

Could i really have tingling for 6 years and have MS?

I hate Google.

Got myself into a panic again.

Don't go down the road of doing "hot bath tests". Do you think neurologists would be that well-paid if it was that easy to diagnose MS?

ElectricAlice
11-04-17, 20:49
Don't go down the road of doing "hot bath tests". Do you think neurologists would be that well-paid if it was that easy to diagnose MS?

True.

I need help.

:(

unsure_about_this
12-04-17, 09:27
Never with MS. I knew someone who I spoke to had it,, but it did not scare me,

Josh1234
12-04-17, 13:54
There isn't subsections to treat health phobias. You treat them all the same. Are you in therapy or taking meds?