PDA

View Full Version : Fear of Flying / Aviophobia

Smarteenie
28-04-07, 19:22
:weep: Hi there. In a couple of weeks I have go away with my husband on a sort of business trip which means I have to leave my two young kids with my in-laws for four days. I am absolutely petrified of flying and have to take diazipan before I even look at a plane. I know this sounds really stupid but I am convinced I am going to die and will never see my kids again. I feel that I would let my husband down big time if I backed out so just wondered if anyone had any tips for staying sane throughout the flight. Landing is fine because it means it's all over and we're coming down!! Take off is definitely the worst and turbulence turns me into a shivering wreck ...!
Any advice you could offer would be great.
Thanks!

honeybee3939
28-04-07, 20:04
Hi

Take a look at some of these posts they may be of interest:)

Flying
Flying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3092)
flying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1440)
anxious need some reasurance from my friends here (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3918)
plane tommorrow (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7374)
How to Stop a Panic Attack when it is happening? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=14887)

Love
:hugs:
Andrea
xxxx

Karen
28-04-07, 21:39
Hi Smarteniee

There is nothing silly or pathetic about being scared of something and it is only when the fears interfere with daily life or prevent us doing things that we would like to do that it really becomes a problem.

I would suggest you might like to make some plans for dealing with the anxiety in advance by taking activities you can do to help distract yourself from the anxious thoughts. Some people like to read, or do crossword puzzles, listen to music, play travel games, talk to someone etc.

Something else you might like to consider is hypnotherapy which can be very effective for phobias like this. There is a hypnosis download Overcome Fear of Flying (http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/downloads/phobias_fears/fear_flying.html?1388) that could help.

I hope you enjoy your holiday.

Karen x

belle
28-04-07, 23:03
Hello..

Even before i developed agoraphobia and panic attacks i HATED flying.
(this'll make you chuckle!)

I'd flown to Australia with my mother for an 8 week holiday because my sister was out there travelling. I had a minor "thing" right before we boarded at Heathrow. I told my ma i wasn't going on the plane (it looked soooo big), my mum said to me "Okay, see you in 8 weeks" and proceeded to board. That flight despite being in 2 parts, one to Singapore, then Singapore to Brisbane was okay. I didn't suffer from anything apart from that *on edge* feeling, but i was too busy playing games and watching videos.

Anyway, while we were in Australia we had 2 internal flights booked from Brisbane to Cairns and then the return flight. Getting to Cairns wasn't too bad, it was the coming back that was the problem!!! We sat in the plane which felt really small. I started to feel anxious. I conveyed this to my mother and sister and they just looked at me as if i was nuts. Still sitting on the runway i'd bitten off every nail on my hands, then as the plane started moving i jumped up in the most dramatic way and said "I'M GETTING OFF". Both my mother and sister just hid their faces. The old b*tch of a hostess looked at me and sat "SIT DOWN". With that, i sat my backside back on the seat and i was okay. I was using the old distraction technique of looking out of the window to eleviate my fear. Seeing the Barrier Reef from a plane is truly a sight not to be missed, it was fantastic.

Thing is, looking back now, i had no fear about the returning 24 hour flight, it was my mother who wanted to get off. I am agoraphobic and i hate planes, but if someone lovely decided to book me a holiday that included a flight i would rather that than a boat - any day of the week.

My advice to you, the same as i would give myself....

Planes DO NOT crash often. I can't think of any lately.
Okay, so you have no control, but these people are trained in ALL areas of piloting (is that a word???). The planes these days are SO high-tech, they can fly themselves for goodness sake - they are amazing things. Its safer to fly than use any other form of transport.
TAKE THE PILLS..lol
I was taking dramamine (SP), very nice travel sick pills, make me very drowsy :)
Keep yourself distracted, chat to people (we sat next to Mr and Mrs Misery, no conversation there!!!).
As Karen said, puzzles, reading, listening to music are all good distractions.

I know when you're on there, you're listening to every little noise, every bump, the plane makes so many noises, wing flaps, engine sounds and wheels moving up and down, you need to trust in the pilot, he is your friend :)

Have a good time..
Sarah x

bubbleblitt
29-04-07, 07:13
Hi there Smarteenie, I suffer from the same fear so I sympathise! I recently flew to gatwick and back in a day to meet a freind by myself.It was a huge achievement for me and I was very, very anxious but I did it.I used Rescue Remedy, drank lots of cammomile tea and listened to relaxation tapes every morning as soon as I woke early.
It was tough but I did it.I was like you too-worrying about what if anything happened to me and my 3 children were left without me.I was perfectly safe on the plane.The reason I made myself get on the plane was because I hate being beaten by the panic attacks so I treated the panic as a sort of enemy and wanted to defeat it.Hope this all makes sense!
Anyway, I am due to fly to America in two months and although I am waking up every morning feeling stressed about it I am going to do it, however bad I feel.I do hope you take the flight and good luck, let us know how you get on, take care, Bubblex

domino
29-04-07, 07:33
Hi there, smarteenie, i echo what bubble has just posted, but i do know how you feel, i have cancelled soooo many holidays because of the fear of flying thing. Just this morning my neice and a friendwho had stayed over night with me, took off for a weeks holiday to tunisia. their flight leaves right now,and i so wish i had gone with them, someone once said to me ,WHAT IF,S IF ONLY,I CAN,T should be abolished, that person is so right.Lots of distraction is needed, see your g.p. to see if they can give you something , i take diazapam, it helps, drink plenty of water, and remember the rescure remedy. Have a safe and enjoyable trip, your children will be fine.:)

Dying_Swan
29-04-07, 08:51
Hi Smarteenie

I too, hate flying. I love landing, hate taking off, and despise turbulence! I always think the bloomin' thing will plunge into the sea at any moment. However, so far, so good.

Not sure whether I should say this, but I have heard that the first and last minute of your flight are the most dangerous times. I always count to 60 at take off before I relax and talk to people. Then I know the most dangerous point is over. You can't time landing, but you don't seem to mind that bit so no problems.

I once had a horrific flight across the Pacific. It was the most turbulence I have ever experienced, and I was terrified. But hey, nothing happened and we made it there safely. I decided to read a bit into turbulence after that, and you will find that it really is extremely rare for turbulence to bring a plane down. The most dangerous form is 'Wake turbulence', which is caused by the current from a plane ahead. This is why you often spend some time taxiing on the runway....the pilot knows when it is safe to take off. Occasionally, they can encounter severe turbulence in thunder clouds. But this is so, so rare because the equipment on planes is able to forewarn the pilots, and they fly around it :) So really, although horrible, it's nothing to worry about. I was on a turbulent flight recently. The steward knew I was scared. He came and told me that it's safer than riding a donkey!

I agree with what everyone else has said. Take a tablet to calm you down if you want, and distract yourself throughout the flight. You'll be amazed at how quickly the time passes :)

Good luck and have a fab trip :yesyes: xxx

Granny Primark
29-04-07, 08:53
Ive never liked flying.
I always sit by the isle. I hate the landings so much.
4 years ago we were returning from Teneriffe. The pilot informed us we were about to land. I noticed a flash of lightening. I told my hubby I was scared and he just told me to stop being so stupid. The guy across from me asked me if I was ok. I was so scared I couldnt answer I just shook my head. On which he stretched his hand across and grabbed my hand. He held my hand for 10 mins until we had safely landed. My hubby and daughter were completely unaware of this as my hubby was busy reading and my daughter was asleep.
Our friends were a few rows back from us. On disembarking my friend came up to me and asked me what the hell I was doing holding anothers mans hand when my hubby was sitting next to me! And how long had I known the guy.
Ive got to admit Ive never ever enjoyed landing so much.:yesyes: The guy was tall dark and handsome. I just wish Id told him I was nervous about the whole of the 4 hour flight.:D
There is always something good that comes out of something bad.:yesyes:
Im sure you will be fine.
Best wishes smarteenie.

Take care
LYNN xx