PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone! :)

KellyElizabeth92
10-04-17, 19:37
Hi everyone :welcome:

My name is Kelly and i'm 24. I currently suffer with anxiety and mild depression which I think has stemmed from loosing my Grandmother in Dec 2016.

I joined the forum as a way of support and a reminder that people can get better from Anxiety, Depression and OCD - I suffer from all three. I love reading people success stories - it motivates me and I feel so proud of the human race for beating mental issues :)

I have always been an anxious person and I 100% believe every human has a bit of anxiety in them - it's natural. Mine started when I was about 14, in School. I would panic about using public bathrooms, about exams etc. This all got progressively worse all the way up to current day. I've had to take a year out of university to basically sort myself out. I honestly think it all went downhill when my Grandma passed in December of 2016.

My Grandma practically brought me up with my Mam - there was never a day in my life that I didn't see her. She also lived with me for half a year before her passing. Her room still smells of her even today. So at first, when she passed, I was in shock and couldn't process it. Fast forward to February - my first major panic attack. I was in York for Valentines Day when I drove home at 4am due to having a serious attack (I shouldn't have drove tbf) but I just wanted my Mam. The attack started by obsessing over my health (I was going through tests for my ovaries at the time). By then, I was sure I had OCD - the type where you fixate on something all day everyday.

Then they came in waves - I experienced several panic attacks over the course of 4 days. It was terrifying, I was so scared and I couldn't understand them. THEN, the thoughts started. The thoughts that I didn't want, that absolutely scared me to death.

The "Death" thoughts I called them. First it was about what life would be like when I'm not here - then along came the "what ifs" What if I died? What if my brain went so haywire that I committed suicide?! Well that was it - I was in an utter state of panic, all day, all night. I tried to talk to myself logically - I have never, EVER wanted to kill myself, let alone die. My life is great on the face of it so WHY am I having these thoughts? A bit of research led me to believe they were called "intrusive thoughts" that more than likely have stemmed from loosing my Grandma - she is the first person in my life who I've lost that I was so SO close with. I knew I wouldn't die or kill myself because the thought of it petrified me so that's some consolation.

And here we are :) trying to get my life on track. Trying to stop the thoughts. I know I am probably still grieving so I guess grief + anxiety = trouble but I'm trying to get help from everywhere and it's just taking forever. I've even switched Doctor's surgeries because my previous doctor just didn't care about what I had to say or anything.

I'm currently on a waiting list for telephone CBT with Talking Changes and I take mitazipan (no idea if that's spelt right lol) and a slow releasing propranolol for my anxiety - neither that I think are working :/

ANYWAY, that's all about me :D

venusbluejeans
10-04-17, 19:47
Hiya KellyElizabeth92 and welcome to NMP :welcome:

Why not take a look at our articles on our home page, they contain a wealth of information and are a great starting place for your time on the forum.

I hope you find the as site helpful and informative as I have and that you get the help and support you need here and hope that you meet a few friends along the way :yesyes:

snowghost57
10-04-17, 20:57
Welcome to the forum! Post your little heart out. We are here for support. Sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother.

meant2live
10-04-17, 23:15
Losing a close grandmother is very difficult. My grandmother died in 2010 and, although, it's not the same without her, I can now use memories of her to make me smile. I always wonder what she would think of me now and if she likes that I named my daughter after her.

I hope this page brings you help and hope. I know that I have anxiety about death as well and I tend to assume with worst whenever a new symptom pops up. It's amazing how anxiety affects the body.

There are a lot of great articles on here that I think will help you, I also think it helps to remember that your grandma and your mom want you to live life to the fullest.

KellyElizabeth92
11-04-17, 12:45
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome :-) I have found this site really helpful and it helps keep me grounded.