PDA

View Full Version : Clonazepam Taper

Mermaid16
11-04-17, 07:03
Hi! Has anyone had any experience tapering off Clonazepam. I think (along with the psych) that I am ready to start to reduce. I take .5mg in the morning, .5mg about 2 and then 1mg at bed time. I have been taking this since December and before that, from July to December had gone from 2mg to 8mg of Valium. The psych said just drop one pill (.5), but that seems a bit quick for my liking, I was think maybe just a half of .5 to start. Does anyone have any ideas on how much to taper to avoid any nasty side effects. Thank you. Tracy

panic_down_under
11-04-17, 07:55
The psych said just drop one pill (.5), but that seems a bit quick for my liking, I was think maybe just a half of .5 to start.

You might be okay dropping by 0.5mg every week or so, but do it in half tablet steps if you're more comfortable doing it that way, Tracy.

Does anyone have any ideas on how much to taper to avoid any nasty side effects.

It is by no means a certainty that you will experience severe side-effects. Despite the impression given by Dr Google, not everyone does. But you're likely to if you talk yourself into it because withdrawal is at least as much about psychology as chemistry and biology. Anxious minds are very adept at producing our worst nightmares for us if given an opening. :ohmy:

diamondgeezer65
12-04-17, 18:32
The slower the dose reduction the better in my personal experience in benzo tapers.

CHELLEB1017
12-04-17, 19:26
I was taking .25 in the am and .25 in the pm for a few months and was advised by my doctor to taper off by taking only half of each pill in the am and pm for 1 week and then from there taking only half of one pill daily and then the next week taking half a pill every other day and then jumping. I did very well so it may work for you also.

.Poppy.
12-04-17, 19:40
FWIW, my psych had me taking .5mg daily and then another .25 as needed. I was on it for a few months before I freaked out at the idea of getting addicted and decided to just take as needed.

I went straight off, no tapering, and didn't experience any side effects. I think the slow taper you were advised will be just fine.

Mermaid16
13-04-17, 02:56
Thanks everyone for your replies. I will start dropping half a .5 a day for a week. It may take a bit longer, but I still have some anxiety hanging around, so don't want to go too quickly. I do find it is making me very tired throughout the day, which it never seemed to before, so maybe I don't need it as much. Slow and steady. I'm in no rush. Thanks again. I appreciate everyone's suggestions xx

ana
13-04-17, 11:22
Coming off Rivotril was the single most difficult thing I'd ever had to do in my life. I'd got so addicted to it, mentally and physically (I'd been on it for 9 years) that going off it was something I kept resisting and feeling terrible about. I came off it, though, eventually. My therapist wanted me to quit slowly, reducing it by a quarter a tablet once each month. Not even the slow speed I was doing the withdrawal helped make things easier for me. I'd shake and cry and panic and feel desperate.
Saying that, once the process had come to a close, I slowly started feeling better. I was put on anti-depressants and now I only take half a Rivotril in case I really need it.

diamondgeezer65
23-04-17, 19:28
What dosage was you on Ana if you don't mind me asking? I'm on 0.5mg twice daily and have been for 4 months and am worrying about addiction problems.

ana
23-04-17, 21:10
Of course not, please ask me anything you'd like to know. :) I was initially on 0.5 twice a day, just like you, but was on 0.5 once a day for a few years before I started withdrawing. I'd advise perhaps asking your doctor about coming off them as 4 months is a decent amount of time for a dependency to develop. Having said that, there is no need to worry as, if I could come off them after 9 years, I'm sure it'll be a piece of cake for you.

diamondgeezer65
24-04-17, 15:09
Yes I'll talk to my doctor next time I see him. thanks

Ethansmom
10-05-17, 20:36
Ana, were you on any other medication during the time you were taking Clonazepam? Like an antidepressant or anything. I take 2MG of Clonazapam a day with an antidepressant (until it finally kicks in)

ana
11-05-17, 08:58
No, I wasn't at the time. I'm on Venlafaxine currently.

Liquid
23-05-17, 04:43
Of course not, please ask me anything you'd like to know. :) I was initially on 0.5 twice a day, just like you, but was on 0.5 once a day for a few years before I started withdrawing. I'd advise perhaps asking your doctor about coming off them as 4 months is a decent amount of time for a dependency to develop. Having said that, there is no need to worry as, if I could come off them after 9 years, I'm sure it'll be a piece of cake for you.

Hey Ana, do you mind if I ask how long it took you to start feeling better? I'm on about Day 3 of withdrawals. The physical symptoms are rough, but I can handle them.. I'm more concerned with the psychological symptoms.. I have this constant anxiety that lasts all day and I can't seem to focus on anything else.

Did you have trouble with that?

There are so many scary threats on the net about Benzo withdrawal lasting months to years.

ana
23-05-17, 11:25
Please don't let the Internet scare you. :)
It's tough, though, withdrawing from Clonazepam, I won't lie. You are still in the early stages, but for me, it was the worst after a week or so. I was experiencing constant anxiety, just like you, and I thought it would drive me insane and completely cripple or kill me. I remember craving the medication so much, feeling shaky and unwell as well as very worried about the state I was in at the time. It took me about 2 weeks to start feeling better. I recall making a breakthrough on day 15...

Ethansmom
08-06-17, 15:35
Mermaid- how is your Clonazapam taper going. I'm still taking 2MG a day with my Celexa.

Mermaid16
08-06-17, 23:48
Hi Ethansmom. I haven't started yet. I have been tapering off sertraline. So Monday, I will take no sertraline. I will see how I feel, I am only taking a crumb at the moment so it shouldn't be too bad I don't think. Then I will probably start on the clonazepam. I will start by dropping 1/4 of a tablet. It makes me really tired all the time, so I am keen to start dropping off a bit. How are you going?