PDA

View Full Version : Venting about doctors visits.

LG18
11-04-17, 12:16
Hi.

After braving the doctors a couple of months back, they essentially told me there was nothing wrong after feeling around my glands.
I have basically been having this pain when I do a chin tuck.
It hurts inside my ear and around my neck.

I went to the doctors to check it out, and after he felt around I asked if he thought it could be a tumour or something.
He said definetly not, and I went away reassured. He said there would be no point even doing a blood test or anything.
The previous doctor I saw also found nothing.

The problem is, I've since been feeling around the area and have realised that if I Tilt my head back and at the same time Jut my jaw out, I can feel with my finger that Theres something on my parotid gland on one side that doesn't seem to be on the other.

Now My doctors reassurance I feel is void, because he might not be able to feel this thing I can feel without me doing this specific movement, and I'm convinced it's a tumour - it causes some of the chin tucking pain when I press on it too, I think.
It feels like both the left and right gland feel different in shape and are non-symmetrical.

I don't know now whether I should be going back to the doctor or just sit with the anxiety.
I feel as though it's a life or death situation; that if I don't go something could be growing and getting worse and I'm just sat here not going and getting it checked out.
On the flip side, the only way I get over my anxiety is to cope with the fear, and two doctors have told me I'm fine.

I'm just venting I suppose. I'm sure many of you have been in this fearful situation :(
I've managed to cut out my obsessive googling of simptoms but my anxiety hasn't gotten any better it seems.

Thanks for listening.

Fishmanpa
11-04-17, 12:52
LG... I want you to read this....

"...if I Tilt my head back and at the same time Jut my jaw out, I can feel with my finger that Theres something on my parotid gland on one side that doesn't seem to be on the other."

This is something that no human being does under normal circumstances. I'm sure if anyone did something similar or anything that a isn't typically done under normal circumstances, they would feel a twinge or a bump they haven't felt before.

You had medical professionals give you the all clear and were sure enough not to order additional tests.

You don't have to "just sit with the anxiety." There is help available.

Positive thoughts

swajj
11-04-17, 12:59
You can go back to the doctor and he will feel it and say it's normal. Then you'll go home and find something else that you think he missed. If you want to help yourself overcome your HA then stop checking yourself physically and mentally.

bin tenn
11-04-17, 13:15
LG... I want you to read this....

"...if I Tilt my head back and at the same time Jut my jaw out, I can feel with my finger that Theres something on my parotid gland on one side that doesn't seem to be on the other."

This is something that no human being does under normal circumstances. I'm sure if anyone did something similar or anything that a isn't typically done under normal circumstances, they would feel a twinge or a bump they haven't felt before.

You had medical professionals give you the all clear and were sure enough not to order additional tests.

You don't have to "just sit with the anxiety." There is help available.

Positive thoughts

That is a very good/valid point.

unsure_about_this
11-04-17, 15:59
If you are worried go back to the GP

Fishmanpa
11-04-17, 17:04
If you are worried go back to the GP

I respectfully disagree with this. Two doctors have already dismissed this. What will a third do? Just paid reassurance that will only last until the next self exam :(

Positive thoughts

siwz991
11-04-17, 18:35
I can agree with Fishmanpa, i had seen 4 docs and I did even ultra sound of my neck. Every visit and reassurance meant nothing after few days or week. What will do 5th doctor? I was lucky enough to meet 4 docs that were professionals, but still not sure what to do next with my lump on neck.