PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety and relationships

My anxiety is not me
11-04-17, 18:49
Hi all. First post, so please be gentle with me. This is going to be a long post, im afraid, as it feels like you might need context/I find it therapeutic just to throw everything out there. Thanks to anyone who bothers to read it all.

I've suffered from anxiety knowingly for about 5 years, but probably have always had it without realising. I first realised I had a peculiar relationship with anxiety in my third year of university, when I had a bit of a mini break down during my final year project. I won't go into too much detail, but I started having panic attacks that paralysed me and only managed to pull through with dedicated help from my parents via the phone and sorting out my routine (prior to this I was staying up late smoking weed daily - a three year habit by that point - eating terribly, and generally avoiding everyone but my stoner friends) by stopping substance abuse, keeping normal hours, getting some exercise and sorting out my diet. I also saw a GP at the time who was useless and just prescribed a few bits of Valium, which I refused as I knew I'd just end up taking them to get stoned. After a few months of near sanity, although still experiencing what I now know to be social anxiety, I had another minor breakdown about my health.

I eventually got through this, left university and got on with my life. Thinking back, the causes of my anxiety were probably mostly social and environmental. Spending time with the wrong people and living in the wrong circumstances. Moving to a new town, making new friends, and generally feeling better about myself meant the anxiety melted away for a few years. Or at least I think it did. When I look back I think actually I spent a lot of time feeling empty and numbing myself with alcohol. Not anxiety, per sé, but still not a healthy mind.

More recently - 14 months ago to be exact - I started a casual relationship with an old friend of mine whom I'd known for 6 years (not one who encouraged all the bad habits from university). This not only came as a huge surprise, almost entirely out of the blue, but as an amazingly pleasant surprise too. This was someone who I'd always liked and, I think, had liked me too but we had never managed to do anything about it in a terribly complicated and painful fashion that I shan't go into here (otherwise this could become a short novel).

Thus began some of the best yet most anxiety inducing months of my life. We were explicitly casual - friends with benefits if you want to be crude - and although prior to this we had almost entirely lost touch with each other we quickly became firm friends again and had the most amazing time. I was besotted. But all was not well, because the casual nature of it sent me crazy with anxiety. Did she like me like as I liked her? Would bringing it up mean the end? It didn't help my anxiety that we lived in different yet close to each other cities and that she often worked 7 day weeks, limiting the time we could actually spend together to a day or two every few weeks. It also didn't help that we had slightly different communication needs - I'm one of those people who loves to chat and message people all the time, whereas she is the exact opposite. Especially when feeling stressed, which she often did as her PhD came closer and closer to the end. I 'dealt' with the anxiety by drinking heavily (often with friends, sometimes alone) and smoking endless cigarettes. Not ideal. I (mostly) kept my madness to myself though, as in such casual terms there's no obligation and you don't want to scare someone off.

Ironically, 5 months later when I realised I wasn't a high school teenager and actually came clean about my feelings towards her, she had been thinking and feeling - including in terms of anxiety - exactly the same things. We became an actual item, and whilst this was absolute brilliant on many levels, certain anxieties remained. We didn't see as much of each other as we had in the summer because her PhD started to get more and more strenuous. This made me anxious, I also have self esteem issues I think, and gradually I started to share these things with her. This was fine, she was understanding and supportive - and had problems of her own too.

More recently, however, I think I became a bit too much for her. The objective situation is she needs to focus on the last two months of her PhD, and that worrying about me was affecting that. We have decided to take a 'breather' and not see each other until the end, and perhaps communicate a bit less. This has obviously devastated me (and she's not exactly happy about it), but I think it's probably the most mature and sensible way to preserve the relationship for now.

There's loads of details I've left out, and I worry I've given a skewed perspective on the whole thing. I'm not necessarily looking for judgement, but rather I am asking how do you stop your anxiety interfering with your relationships? Obviously there's an element of support from both sides, and I am using this next two months to seek proper help from the NHS through IAPT, but I just worry that I'll always be too needy. Thoughts?

---------- Post added at 18:49 ---------- Previous post was at 18:46 ----------

Oh just to add, it's not just the relationship that causes anxiety. It can be anything from work stress to financial pressure. I've just been especially wobbly recently. A taxi driver honked his horn at me when I was cycling the other day and I cried...

The point being my anxiety is broader than this, but ultimately affected largely by it.

Bonquiqui
13-04-17, 11:19
I can relate to your situation. Not the dynamics of your relationship but the anxiety part. I respect that you can admit you might have low self-esteem and that that is what may be contributing to your need for constant reassurance from your partner.
I am working with my therapist now to fix this and doing a lot of my own reading on different types of attachment.
You would, like myself, most likely fall into the 'anxious attachment' category.
Even though you would have anxiety in other situations, we tend to learn more about ourselves when we are in a relationship.
The good news is that you can definitely become more secure. There are heaps of books on this topic, I'm planning to purchase 'How to heal shame and codependency'.
You need to improve your self esteem before anything and that will help you become more secure and less needy. Have you considered CBT?

beatroon
14-04-17, 18:15
Hey there,

Sorry to hear you're suffering. You're in the right place though, everyone on these boards has been through anxiety in some form or other, and I'm sure will be happy to chip in with some help and advice!

In terms of your question, it can be very hard to stop anxiety interfering in relationships, and I'm not exactly a poster girl for success. But I can relate what works well for a friend of mine. If something is bothering him - whether it's to do with the relationship or not - he gives himself three days' thinking time during which he applies CBT techniques like the Worry Tree to try to solve the problem himself. If that doesn't work, then he asks his partner for help fixing it and together they take it from there. That's a concrete framework which he uses to stop his anxiety running away with him.

The thing that works well for me and my partner is that my partner is not allowed to reassure me too much verbally, as it's ultimately counterproductive, and I just end up coming back to her time and time again asking for help, which is exhausting for her! So, I can come up to her and have a hug and she can hold my hand and reassure me that way, but unless there is something concrete we can do about my problem, I try not to ask her for reassurance verbally. It works well because she has more patience when I really do need her help, and I'm learning to paddle my own canoe and be less needy.

I think it's brilliant that you are seeking help with anxiety in this two-month gap. That's a practical thing you can do to help yourself, and very commendable. It should also show your partner that you are being responsible about your own mental health, which she should respect you for.

Another thing to bear in mind is that PhDs genuinely are very stressful - I'm finishing one right now - and it is a difficult time for any couple, so I wouldn't necessarily assume that your partner is giving you the brush-off or that it's you that's driving her away. What she says about needing to focus on it may very well be true and all will be well!

good luck!

Bigboyuk
14-04-17, 19:28
Hi And welcome aboard My Anxiety is not me :) yes can relate to quite a bit of what you are saying think sometimes by being clingy/constantly seeking reassurance can push ppl away I have learnt the hard way. Now have a friend from here we have pm'd a lot and recently swapped telephone numbers for What's App it may go 3 days with out hearing from them but they always get back to me :) and this is 8 months ago so a few days with out messaging each other is no big deal really a year ago or so I would have disagreed with that but not now. and we have a good catch up Yay!! So back off a little and you will be surprised at the results Think you are already taking steps and if your like me and want to chat about life in general free to pm me I can talk and talk till the cows come home LOL:) Cheers