PDA

View Full Version : Just got lab results back, trying not to google!

Eventhesparrows
12-04-17, 15:59
So my CBC and metabolic panel are good, minus my bilirubin - the normal range is 0.2 - 1.2 and my level is at 1.4

Im nervous as to why that would be, especially if the rest of my lab work is normal???

Trying not to freak out, praising God everything else is fine!

snowghost57
12-04-17, 16:06
Do yourself a favor and stay off Google. You will only find information that will upset you. Whatever you search for, you will find. Your tests are normal, so don't try to make them not!

Eventhesparrows
12-04-17, 16:23
That range I listed is what is on my results for the "normal range" for this lab. (Quest diagnostics)

Cakelady
12-04-17, 16:38
Has your doctor explained the results & if he's concerned? xx

Eventhesparrows
12-04-17, 16:52
No, he hasn't reviewed them yet. I picked them up.

Cakelady
12-04-17, 17:00
Ah ok, bit different to here. Just think it would be useful to get his interpretation of them, you might find he's not worried at all. xx

Cakelady
12-04-17, 17:16
We don't get access to our results here, not sure if you can request them. You call the doctors & if there's anything of concern you get asked to make an appointment or they contact you if urgent. I don't see how it benefits patients giving them the lab numbers because does it not sometimes cause unnecessary worry? xx

Eventhesparrows
12-04-17, 17:38
In my case, I needed a copy for my records because we're adopting. I've had a call in for him to review them since Monday. The nurse said yesterday they would get back to me that day and I never heard from them so I went in today.

Gary A
12-04-17, 18:22
Your results are entirely normal.

Why did you ask if you aren't interested in paying any attention to the answer?

snowghost57
12-04-17, 18:54
In my case, I needed a copy for my records because we're adopting. I've had a call in for him to review them since Monday. The nurse said yesterday they would get back to me that day and I never heard from them so I went in today.

When you say that "we're adopting" is that as in a baby or child? How are you going to cope with raising a child when you haven't come to terms with your anxiety? I think you need to talk to your doctor about this.

Cakelady
12-04-17, 19:08

Ah I see. Please try not to worry & very best wishes xxx

Eventhesparrows
13-04-17, 14:29
The likelihood is so extremely small, because its a rare cancer anyway, especially for a 29 year old - but I know jaundice can be a symptom of pancreatic cancer. I was fearing this cancer back in January and February because I had pain in my upper left abdomen, and it's still there.

My rational mind says its from holding my 1 year old on that side all of the time (because the pain does feel near the surface, not too deep), but now in light of these results, my emotional mind says "well, one more thing pointing towards PC"

Doing my best to listen to my rational mind and I don't dare google.

axolotl
13-04-17, 14:54
I think it's dangerous to be given raw data like that without the expertise of someone to explain what you're reading. You have no idea what it means. A quick web search told me, in big letters on the first page, that under 1.9 is considered normal range, but I'm sure I could find many other contradicting numbers if I started delving. Even if it was elevated, you don't know how much significance that would be in terms of diagnostics.

I'm not a doctor. You're not a doctor. We'd be paid a lot more if we were qualified to interpret blood test results.

Cakelady
13-04-17, 15:45
The likelihood is so extremely small, because its a rare cancer anyway, especially for a 29 year old - but I know jaundice can be a symptom of pancreatic cancer. I was fearing this cancer back in January and February because I had pain in my upper left abdomen, and it's still there.

My rational mind says its from holding my 1 year old on that side all of the time (because the pain does feel near the surface, not too deep), but now in light of these results, my emotional mind says "well, one more thing pointing towards PC"

Doing my best to listen to my rational mind and I don't dare google.

Yes you are very young for that cancer & as you say it is rare, I read it accounts for only 3% of cancer diagnoses, certainly here in the UK. My dad was 64 when he was diagnosed. But I know how hard it can be when thoughts take over. Keep trying to listen to your rational brain & you're doing well not googling, you dont need it worrying you more :hugs: xx

axolotl
13-04-17, 19:26
Yes you are very young for that cancer & as you say it is rare, I read it accounts for only 3% of cancer diagnoses, certainly here in the UK. My dad was 64 when he was diagnosed. But I know how hard it can be when thoughts take over. Keep trying to listen to your rational brain & you're doing well not googling, you dont need it worrying you more :hugs: xx

Indeed, but you don't even have to go as far as ruling out a particular cancer on statistical chance. The fact is you don't have a single logical reason to think you have cancer. You have a possibly slightly high count of something you don't understand and hasn't been explained to you yet, and a vague pain.