PDA

View Full Version : I think i know why i can't sleep

GigaB00ts
12-04-17, 18:17
I previously thought my sleeplessness might be coming from PTSD from my recent housefire and my burns, but i think it might have to do with something that happened at the doctor.

Ever since i was in middle school, i had horrible insomnia regarding my heart and if i was gonna have a heart attack. I used to go to the school nurse every day, and get her to check my heart rate, until it became too annoying for her and she had to call my parents.

Basically every night i would wake up after a little bit to check my pulse and hope i would still be ok, and i got less and less sleep.

When i went to the doctor for my burns and they did a mandatory heart rate check, i was nervous as usual, and the doctor said my heart rate was extremely high. I know that this was most likely because of my anxiety, but i couldnt help but think otherwise. It was ever since that doctors visit that my sleep has been slowly deteriorating. For the past couple of days now ive only gotten 2 hours of sleep. I think its getting worse, and i can feel my heartbeat whenever i wake up, and i cant fall back asleep.

I'm so afraid that this is going to cause my health to deteriorate, i don't want to spend hundreds of dollars to see a doctor, and my therapist is on vacation right now. I don't know what to do and I just want to be able to sleep again. I hate being tired all day...

Emmaisworried
12-04-17, 18:30
What about trying some relaxation techniques throughout the day and also at bedtime?

The more you feel your purse the more anxious you will feel and that will in turn induce feelings of panic. Which then make your heart faster.

WoodChucker
12-04-17, 18:54
I've been through a severe panic period a couple of years back in which I didn't dare to sleep because I thought I would die in my sleep due to heart failure. As a result I slept only when I would pass out of complete exhaustion and it made my mental situation 10x worse. So I know what you are going through...

For me it ended when I stopped fighting the anxiety.
I would lay in my bed, close my eyes and just let come whatever would come while watching/counting my breath in a meditative manner. You can find a quick guide here : https://healthypsych.com/5-minute-mindful-breathing-exercise/

I hope it will help you too to get out of the circle of anxiety and insomnia :)

GigaB00ts
12-04-17, 20:21
That sounds like a good idea. If i just accept it happening and continue about my daily routine, i guess it will eventually subside on its own.
Of course, relaxation techniques wont hurt, if i can manage to make any work for me. Thank you for the suggestions ;w;

Emmaisworried
12-04-17, 21:44
They worked for me - inhave a cd but there are lots on YouTube.

Jackrabbit
17-04-17, 00:24
You'd be surprised on how well a nighttime routine works. Doing the same things at the same time every night has worked wonders for my insomnia. 2 hours before i go to bed i have a chilled glass of red wine and watch a little tv or listen to music. I then shower, have a "insomniac's tea" which consists of a boiled banana peel and a splash of cinnamon in hot water. after that I usually rub a little bit of lavender oil on my hands, collar bones and behind my ears while maybe putting on some relaxing music. The last thing i do which i think is what really seals it all in is I turn off all the lights, lay in bed and think about my day...on purpose! So many people have wondering thoughts at night that keep them up but I put aside a few minutes to just go over everything, I might even write it down. Then I lay down, do some breathing techniques such as inhaling quickly and letting out small breaths and before I know it I'm out! I had horrible insomnia for awhile and it really took a crap on my health. A good nights sleep is crucial for your health and mental healing.

Also, for really stressful days, melatonin can give me that extra push to go to sleep.