PDA

View Full Version : Lymph nodes? 18?

becca98
12-04-17, 19:27
Hello everyone, bet you're sick of these posts. I am sick of reading them but they help me. :yesyes:

I am 18, perfectly good health, I had a small spot like a acne spot on my ear, turned out to be fine and popped but this obviously got me looking around that area - I have had this before btw, after my nan died, but didn't worry me as much. I'll make this short.

I have about one lymph node in each side of my neck about half the size of a pea, but around the area I can feel tiny little things, probably the same size as your average black head, I get so worried cos I can feel loads of little lumps and bumps in my neck ( I'm aware this could be veins, muscle, I have really lumpy muscle in my arm, so guessing it could be the same for the neck) I am trying not to worry as I went doctors and found out I was 5 weeks pregnant, I don't want to worry but I also have had blood tests, which were all okay, this makes me feel a bit better.. I just want to know if this is normal? I'm really slim, barely 7 stone, I hope someone can reassure me, and before anyone says to go doctors, I have felt these for 2 years with almost no growth, I will admit the amount of prodding I'm doing is effecting them, I don't prod/poke the right side at all, and they're all tiny, but palpable, as my left used to be. after poking it has got harder and the muscle around it feels a bit more hard, I hope someone can help me? I just want to know if I should be worried as I am, I spend every day crying and picturing my death lol. :unsure:

Thelegend27
12-04-17, 22:24
When you feel little lumps in your neck they are most often lymph nodes, and you said they feel half the size of a pea, but they are usually bigger than they feel, because you may not be able to feel the entire node, the best way to feel a node is to get it between your fingers, put two fingers together and rub across the node slowly, as you feel the node between the tips of your fingers slowly work the tips of your fingers apart sliding the tips of the fingers to each end of the lymph node, this gives you the best idea of the size, because using one finger rubbing across the node you're only feeling the center of the node so of course its going to feel smaller than it actually is. I found this out because after i discovered my lymph node and rubbing it with one finger it didn't feel anywhere near a cm, once i had a ultrasound i found out it was 1.1 cm so i used two fingers and i could actually tell that it was around a cm. This is why doctor's use three fingers when checking for lymph nodes because they are trying to get the palpable nodes between the fingers to feel the size and hardness and shape of the node.lymph nodes are bean shaped glands, they are normally oval in shape not round, they are somewhat soft and mobile. I have been dealing with a lymph node obsession for 7 months so i completely understand your concerns. Most doctor's say normal lymph nodes range from 0.5 cm all the way up to 2 cm, and lymph nodes under 2 cm usually isn't any significance to investigate further without other symptoms. I would suggest getting a ultrasound and possibly a complete blood count this will give the doctors an idea of your overall health and it will also show then of there's anything suspicious at play and its a good start to getting reassurance. Just some facts to help ease the mind, when a person under 40 experiences unexplained lymph node enlargement they have a 0.4% of it being cancer, a person over the age of 40 with unexplained lymph node enlargement has a 4% chance of it being cancer. Now this varies from different regions of the body, for example, the supracalvicular lymph nodes, located in the hollow betweem the neck and collarbone carry the highest risk for cancer when they become enlarged, but the risk is still relatively low depending on the size, a larger lymph node above 2 cm in this area tends to have a much higher risk than a 1 cm lymph node. Well good luck and stay positive.

Fishmanpa
13-04-17, 01:27
We have 500 - 700 nodes in our bodies. They vary in size from a BB to 2cm, all of which is normal, At any given time, if you poke and prod enough, you'll feel them. Poking and prodding can and does cause swelling. Do it enough and they become "shotty" (permanently swollen).

You don't have an issue with your nodes medically but your reaction to them, as with the dozens of other node posters, definitely needs some treatment.

Positive thoughts

snowghost57
13-04-17, 03:07
You should really see you doctor about your anxiety and worry. Just as Fish stated, if you keep fooling with the nodes they will swell. Honestly, I don't even know where mine are and I could care less. Cancer of the lymph nodes is not that common, however I do see a lot and I mean a lot people obsessing over these glands. You're only 18, young and have your whole life in front of you. Get some help with your anxiety!

GlassPinata
13-04-17, 10:29
Pea-sized is normal sized (not enlarged) for neck lymph nodes.
It is normal to be able to feel them, especially if you are thin.
Do you think some of your anxiety about the pregnancy is transferring to this lymph node worry? I know that my health anxiety really flared up when I was pregnant, either because of hormones or because I was unable to face my actual worries. Being a pregnant teenager is frightening. I know; I was one once. And yes, at 18 you are still a teenager.
I hope you have a good support system in place.
As you said, you are in "perfectly good health"; palpable pea-sized lymph nodes are normal. You will be okay.

Best wishes.

becca98
13-04-17, 10:48
Pea-sized is normal sized (not enlarged) for neck lymph nodes.
It is normal to be able to feel them, especially if you are thin.
Do you think some of your anxiety about the pregnancy is transferring to this lymph node worry? I know that my health anxiety really flared up when I was pregnant, either because of hormones or because I was unable to face my actual worries. Being a pregnant teenager is frightening. I know; I was one once. And yes, at 18 you are still a teenager.
I hope you have a good support system in place.
As you said, you are in "perfectly good health"; palpable pea-sized lymph nodes are normal. You will be okay.

Best wishes.

Hi. thanks so much that made me feel so much better. I have been able to feel these little lumps for years, I can't feel them unless I really dig, which I know isnt what the doctors would do anyway :roflmao: I got over my fear yes, but now I'm pregnant I am worrying like mad, I left it alone for two days and it went down, now I cant stop feeling it... any advice how to stop feeling it? my plan is to watch it for a month and if any growth I will get a doctors appointment, I can't atm as I'm the one swelling it..

---------- Post added at 10:48 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

We have 500 - 700 nodes in our bodies. They vary in size from a BB to 2cm, all of which is normal, At any given time, if you poke and prod enough, you'll feel them. Poking and prodding can and does cause swelling. Do it enough and they become "shotty" (permanently swollen).

You don't have an issue with your nodes medically but your reaction to them, as with the dozens of other node posters, definitely needs some treatment.

Positive thoughts

Hi fish, I see you on so many posts, you're so selfless!

I am trying to be positive and not feel it, but when I'm alone it seems to be all I do, I was wondering if it was 'swollen' would it be able to feel without digging? I have to look for it then dig, I can feel them both sides so symmetrical but where I don't touch the other side its softer, which worried me. I want to leave them for a month and check then but I can't seem to shake feeling them, I know theyre not bigger than 1cm, I grabbed it out of the skin and took my fingers away and measured it to be under 0.5 ...
I then thought maybe its attached to a bigger lymph node :weep:
sorry to go on, I'm trying to enjoy my pregnancy and not stress but its so difficult.

Gary A
13-04-17, 11:19
When a doctor checks your neck for swollen nodes, they don't go "digging" do they? No, they gently feel around the area, because truly swollen nodes stand out very easily.

becca98
13-04-17, 11:29
When a doctor checks your neck for swollen nodes, they don't go "digging" do they? No, they gently feel around the area, because truly swollen nodes stand out very easily.

I have had so many people say this too me. you made me feel much better. I have never seen a doctor dig no, but I worry they would if I said where it was, silly me lol. I think its time I got over this, I can feel my boyfriends and dads nodes too, silly brain!

Fishmanpa
13-04-17, 12:59
I had head and neck cancer. I had cancerous nodes. I know nodes... You could look at me and see them on the left side of my neck. So no, you wouldn't have to dig to find them at all if they were actually swollen.

As far as not poking and prodding? Self control or one of these ;)

http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/serious-man-wearing-dog-cone-picture-id108270473?s=612x612

Positive thoughts