PDA

View Full Version : Scared of methane gas

Brad10
12-04-17, 23:47
So I was at work today and I had to see the water valves in the sewer so I went and was there for 2 minutes, after I got out someone said how people have died for methane gas in a sewer, but I don't think I was in a sewer that produced methane and they said laughed and said I'm okay, now I'm freaking out and it's been 5 hours since and have no symptoms I just scared :(

Fishmanpa
13-04-17, 01:21
So I was at work today and I had to see the water valves in the sewer so I went and was there for 2 minutes, after I got out someone said how people have died for methane gas in a sewer, but I don't think I was in a sewer that produced methane and they said laughed and said I'm okay, now I'm freaking out and it's been 5 hours since and have no symptoms I just scared :(

Do you pass gas? Do you run away? No?... Then don't worry ;) If it were that lethal, I would have died a long time ago.

Positive thoughts

Brad10
13-04-17, 02:20
Do you pass gas? Do you run away? No?... Then don't worry ;) If it were that lethal, I would have died a long time ago.

Positive thoughts

I heard you can die being in a sewer though ?

Fishmanpa
13-04-17, 03:36
I heard you can die being in a sewer though ?

I'm assuming you're alive as you're posting so.... ;)

Positive thoughts

snowghost57
13-04-17, 04:30
Yes Brad, people can die in sewers. My background is occupational safety and trust me I doubt if the sewer you were in produced methane gas. In the case of confined space such as a sewer, any gasses are present, the air can be tested and you would wear a respirator, if needed. Your employer would not send you in a sewer if they felt it was dangerous. Your buddies at work are teasing you. Cows release methane gas as well :)

MyNameIsTerry
13-04-17, 04:51
Yes Brad, people can die in sewers. My background is occupational safety and trust me I doubt if the sewer you were in produced methane gas. In the case of confined space such as a sewer, any gasses are present, the air can be tested and you would wear a respirator, if needed. Your employer would not send you in a sewer if they felt it was dangerous. Your buddies at work are teasing you. Cows release methane gas as well :)

Yep, that's the best answer, someone who knows the health & safety side.

Chemicals in confined spaces can either be too toxic or there can be a lack of required oxygen. It's not just methane, it could be ammonia too.

But every employer knows the regs or they face prosecution and potentially prison sentences these days.

GlassPinata
13-04-17, 10:33

Positive thoughts

:roflmao:

Just envisioning someone with such bad anxiety that they were running away from their own farts. Lol!

Bigboyuk
13-04-17, 10:58

Just envisioning someone with such bad anxiety that they were running away from their own farts. Lol! Yes me too :) But there again a irrational mind is another matter for the OP but we all produce methane I would be more scared of a explosion happening :eek: In fact years ago most towns and cities had sewer lamps not actually streets of them but a few dotted around sort of looks like a old gas light but purely designed to burn off excess gas build up some are still about if you look closely enough :) stay off the bakedbeans too ha ha ;)

Fishmanpa
13-04-17, 12:47
Just envisioning someone with such bad anxiety that they were running away from their own farts. Lol!

Well... one look at the phobia board and it wouldn't surprise me in the least. In fact... I had to Google and yep, sure enough!

Phartophobia is a fear of exactly what it sounds like... and would go along with Bromidrophobia, a fear of body odors. Hmmm…… if you had both you would be afraid of your own farts! And it would really suck to have Ablutophobia, a fear of bathing on top of a fear of farts and body odor!

But in all seriousness, safety regulations would prevent any exposure to levels of gas enough to harm you.

Positive thoughts and pew!

bottleblond
13-04-17, 18:17
Fish this has made my day. :roflmao::roflmao::roflmao:

snowghost57
13-04-17, 18:53
Oh you guys are killing me! Fear of farts!:roflmao:

Brad, I see that you are from Canada, and your country has the same organization we have here, OSHA. In Canada it is CCOHS, trust me, your buddies at work were having fun at your expense. I'm sure your employer has a safety officer, I would speak to him if you doubt what we are telling you.