PDA

View Full Version : Low intensity long panic attacks?

Mango2
13-04-17, 20:48
I should know better, as I've had an anxiety disorder for 11 years at least.
But I'm wondering if I in fact suffer from "Panic" anxiety and not just "anxiety".

I have many of the bodily symptoms that appear during panic attacks, but I have never really had a "full-blown" panic attack, where the anxiety is so intense that the sufferer thinks he/she is going to die, and where the attack then subsides after a couple of minutes.

My experience has always been where the bodily symptoms stick with me for some time and linger. Derealization, palpitations and my current suffering, pins and needles in hands and feet. These symptoms also come and go, but are much lower in intensity and linger about.

Could it be that all this time I have in fact had panic attacks but not "full-blown" in the traditional sense?

Kb97
14-04-17, 01:19
Hey,
I do have what you describe but I do also suffer with full blown panic attacks. I'm no doctor but I could say it's very likely that me and you are having very small panic attacks one after another which causes the symptoms. Hang in there I know how rough it is especially DP.

Mango2
14-04-17, 09:25
Thanks for your reply kb97. It leads me to greater understanding this crap that I've been dealing with for the last 11 years.
I've always heard from doctors that it's "anxiety" which is a definition that encompasses a whole lot..
I never really felt that I fitted in on any specific anxiety disorder, and I guess I've ended up in GAD.
Never really thought about Panic Anxiety as I've never really had the full blown type (except maybe once), but this has me thinking that I do have Panic disorder as all my symptoms fit.

Up till now I've never really feared a quick death (not saying that I won't some day), but my fear has always been a "slow" death where I lose control over my body (MS, ALS) or where I get a time limit put on me (cancer and 6 months to live or similar).
Maybe my panic has adapted to this kind of fear...

florida94
23-04-17, 18:28
I know what you feel regarding this. You don't have huge panic attacks that other people speak about, but you do know that you do know what an anxious feeling feels like. You should be happy that you've never had to go through a complete panic attack.....

but....

There is a sense of difficulty regarding this type of issue. The reason being the fact that this stressful form of "general anxiety" can last for a very long time. And it is really annoying having to deal with the struggle of worry and constant fear without it dying out.

However, something like general anxiety can easily be handled when you know how to calm yourself and keep your mind and brand occupied. I love to focus on one body part of my body and focus all my attention on that specific body part. I focus my energy on my right leg or knee, or maybe even my heart. I think good thoughts and I try to lift my mood. when the mood is happier, it's much harder for anxiety to get at it you.

Yoga*Lover
24-04-17, 20:02
Hi ��.

I also have this. I do suffer from full blown panic attacks but I also get long periods of intense anxiety where I'm not necessarily panicking but I'm experiencing a lot of my physical anxiety symptoms.
Xx

AppleCinnamon
09-05-17, 21:02
I have both. The panic is the worst physically speaking, but only temporary like a few hours, while the constant anxiety is mentally very exhausting, even more so than the panic if I can speak for myself. These periods can last for weeks; I will be shaking and sweating all day, high heart rate, tensing muscles, feeling cold (especially in extremities, probably due to hyperventilation), hot flushes, cannot concentrate and focus my eyes; constant feeling of panic but not full blown. Sometimes though they can trigger a panic attack as well. Over time I will feel physically completely drained. During these periods I am not able to leave the house and eating is difficult so I will loose weight. They are horrific; benzodiazepines give some temporary relief for me but relaxation and breathing techniques have been of no help. Haven't tried antidepressants yet, perhaps this would be the most suitable medication for dealing with constant anxiety. I am not sure if it can be defined as GAD because that is anxiety from chronic worry, which isn't the case for me personally. But in the end, this doesn't really matter.