PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else obsessed or freaked out about lymph nodes and lymphoma?

scaredpt
14-04-17, 18:48
I found a swollen node and went to my GP who said it doesn't seem bad because I had a weird tooth mouth infection a few weeks before but I am still obsessed with this node. It's sometimes painful and pea sized and moveable. But I'm just obsessed with the idea it's something really bad. Anyone else obsessed or have this anxiety?

CHELLEB1017
14-04-17, 18:57
I am in the same boat! I have 2 little bumps in my hair line behind my neck that bother me! No clue if they are nodes or not! Just keeping an eye on them to see if they change size and hope for the best at this point!

snowghost57
14-04-17, 19:08
There are a lot of people here that obsess over their lymph nodes, there are a lot of threads here. You stated that you had an infection in your mouth. The nodes are to fight infection and will swell. In addition if you constantly touch lymph nodes they will get irritated and swell. Leave them alone. Lymphatic cancer is not that common and stay off Dr. Google!

scaredpt
14-04-17, 19:29
I didn't know it was such a common concern. I'm going over it with my therapist but I keep feeling it and checking to see if it goes down. But from what I read mine is painful and moveable which mean it has less of a chance of being cancer

Fishmanpa
14-04-17, 19:55
I didn't know it was such a common concern.

There's 5 threads on the first page alone! ;)

Positive thoughts

Mav
14-04-17, 20:18
Yep hate them, wish they didn't exist.

scaredpt
14-04-17, 20:27
How do you guys deal with the urge to check for them and what do you do when you can feel one?

Mav
14-04-17, 20:31
How do you guys deal with the urge to check for them and what do you do when you can feel one?

Everytime I feel, I come on here XD to get some sense back into my brain.

You just have to realize if you were ill, it would be much more apparent to you and your doctors.

CHELLEB1017
14-04-17, 20:32
I have been trying to only touch these 2 tiny bumps once a day! I also try and tell myself I had a cbc in January and have no health issues so I must be okay lol!

scaredpt
14-04-17, 21:34
I guess if so many people are concerned it's not that weird to get one? I just don't get it because it's been like 1.5 weeks already

bin tenn
14-04-17, 22:56
You don't "get one". Lymph nodes are always there. The ability to feel one (or more) is not indicative of anything by itself either.

GlassPinata
15-04-17, 01:26
Yes. I've been obsessed with lymph nodes for years (mine and my children's).
But I've come to accept that palpable lymph nodes do not always signify cancer; otherwise we'd all be dead by now.
Many people- especially thin people- have palpable nodes.
We must come to terms with this and learn to live with it, as difficult as that may be.
I've been advised many times that poking at them can make them worse, so try not to do that.

Best wishes.

scaredpt
15-04-17, 02:35
Yes. I've been obsessed with lymph nodes for years (mine and my children's).
But I've come to accept that palpable lymph nodes do not always signify cancer; otherwise we'd all be dead by now.
Many people- especially thin people- have palpable nodes.
We must come to terms with this and learn to live with it, as difficult as that may be.
I've been advised many times that poking at them can make them worse, so try not to do that.

Best wishes.
Thanks. I also lost like 10 pounds due to my teeth issues and not being able to eat for three full weeks so I think maybe it could be that too. Glad to know there are others in the same boat.

scaredpt
15-04-17, 17:28
I've been poking so much today and thinking the worst

Forest87
15-04-17, 18:57
Yes me. I need my hands taping together so I can stop touching them.

scaredpt
15-04-17, 21:47
So it's not weird that I could feel one? Mine is smaller than a pea but really able to feel it and even I can see it

M00nlight
16-04-17, 04:46
Another lymph node poker. Only 4 weeks, but no change.. and of course any other symptom I have I relate it back to my node and thinking it's Mets.

I've since found a lymph node on the other side of my neck in same spot and actually makes me feel a little better I can feel it's not too swollen.

scaredpt
16-04-17, 13:06
Mine is now 2 weeks no change I feel it'll never go away

PASchoolSyndrome
16-04-17, 14:03
You guys, seriously.

No one but you can stop yourself from poking and prodding. But lymph nodes are apart of our anatomy. You have hundreds and hundreds of them. Yes. You will be able to feel them and that does not mean they're swollen.

If they reach the size of a golf ball, sure, be concerned. But you're losing quality days of your life by stressing over something that is your own damn anatomy.

CHELLEB1017
16-04-17, 14:54
Seriously I am in the total same boat even after a doctor appointment but I can say I feel better! Now I'm waiting on my yearly blood results to be loaded to the patient portal as I had them taken yesterday morning. Usually it's there within 24 hours but no luck. I'm hoping since it's a Sunday and a holiday weekend that it why and it's not bad news!! After I get those of they are good I will feel so much better!!

Thelegend27
17-04-17, 04:05
I see some of you mentioning that painful nodes Is less likely to be cancer, well in some cases this may be true depending on if you have a explanation for the swollen node, cancerous nodes are often painful as well, a normal lymph node (not swollen) shouldn't be painful, but often are still palpable. I'm not saying this to scare anyone, but don't do like I did and take things out of context to comfort yourselves. If you have a swollen node and it remains swollen it's best to get it checked out although swollen nodes are rarely cancer but it's a way to put your mind at ease. I can't give much advice because I obsesse over mine as well.

scaredpt
17-04-17, 18:23
Guys! I just found another swollen one on the other side of my neck. Could this mean that I have some generalized cancer or something? I shouldn't have Ben poking and prodding and now I'm convinced I am dying. I think this is the end

Fishmanpa
17-04-17, 20:28
Could this mean that I have some generalized cancer or something?

Frankly, it means you have a severe case of health anxiety. Most here have no real idea what "swollen" means. I do. Poking and prodding can and does cause reactive swelling. That's what's going on.

What are you currently doing to treat your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

scaredpt
17-04-17, 21:38
@fishmanpa I am doing a lot, I'm trying to challenge negative thoughts with rational ones. I've decided to not prod or check my neck for a full week. And I'm going to try to not skip social events and workout every day this week and do yoga.

Fishmanpa
17-04-17, 21:44
@fishmanpa I am doing a lot, I'm trying to challenge negative thoughts with rational ones. I've decided to not prod or check my neck for a full week. And I'm going to try to not skip social events and workout every day this week and do yoga.

That's a good start. A written plan (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=159331) is necessary to achieve results. One step at a time. Also take into consideration that posting and waiting on replies for reassurance is keeping you in the cycle of anxiety.

Positive thoughts

Rey1989
18-04-17, 03:03
Yes, me. I currently have fears of some type of blood cancer such as leukemia or lymphoma due to frequent infections, painful armpit, and what looks to me like peticheae(yes I googled leukemia symptoms) its horrible. But it seems to be a common worry. I keep coming here to get some reasurrance. Kinda helps i guess?

scaredpt
21-04-17, 00:53
Guys my thoughts are spiraling. I've been trying to challenge my thoughts, but I am actually thinking that the node is getting bigger and bigger-even my dad can now see a bit of a rasied area. I'm wondering if its getting unsafe for me to not see a GP again

swajj
21-04-17, 01:02
You need to distract yourself from thinking about your lymph nodes. I would suggest not reading anything else about them because all that information just feeds into your fears. However, that is up to you.

M00nlight
21-04-17, 02:19
Are you still poking it? I found a node, poking it definitely made it swell so I can only imagine how much my constant poking of my issue nodes has done

scaredpt
21-04-17, 02:38
I'm not poking it, not for one full day now. but i look at the outline of my neck and i can kind of SEE a bump (im pretty skinny so my neck is always thin)

my doctor did mention to not even look and examine it, but its hard not to look in the mirror at it or touch it

Fishmanpa
10-05-17, 14:32
I know you said you were trying to help yourself but I truly feel professional help is warranted at this point. Speak to your parents, a trusted adult or your doctor and please seek some help. You're too young to be burdened with this illness.

Positive thoughts

scaredpt
10-05-17, 14:34
Well getting night sweats really set me back. I am seeing a therapist and it has been helping a bit so I just need to remember all his advice

Fishmanpa
10-05-17, 14:36
Well getting night sweats really set me back. I am seeing a therapist and it has been helping a bit so I just need to remember all his advice

Does your therapist know you're posting on the forum for reassurance? If not, it's imperative he/she knows. Reassurance seeking is detrimental to your recovery.

Positive thoughts

.Poppy.
10-05-17, 15:30
Have you considered medication? I know it's not the solution for everyone and it doesn't have to be a permanent solution, but it was really the best thing for me when I was in the thick of anxiety/depression...it helped me stop the awful cycle and get a grip on my thoughts.

Like others have said, lymph nodes are normal. I have a couple that I can always feel. They used to drive me absolutely crazy, but my doc checked them out and they are fine.

Poking/prodding will make them bigger. You'll have to go a couple of weeks without touching them (at least) for them to go down.

Rey1989
10-05-17, 15:51
Yup, on the same boat. I dont have swollen glands (thankfully) but i do have itching everywhere on my body, and I know thats a sign of lymphoma so I land in this category

scaredpt
10-05-17, 15:58
I'm definately trying to be reasonable but it is worrying, the whole night sweats thing. I don't know if it is unsafe to NOT worry about it, you know? Like what if I miss something

siwz991
10-05-17, 16:08
I developed almost every sympthom of lymphoma after few weeks od reading about them. All 14 docs told I'm ok and problem was in my subconsciousness. And guess what it took me a year to ged rid off it out of my mind and only then sweats stopped. I know very well it's easy to say dont worry but look at me. If I could develop these, every anxious person can!

scaredpt
10-05-17, 16:13
I haven't been super nervous though UNTIL I got the night sweat. i guess it probably is because of the fever, I'm at work now and still feel fevery :(. The reasonable thing would be to wait until im not sick to see if im still getting them