PDA

View Full Version : When it rains it pours

Bigboyuk
14-04-17, 20:08
:mad: Got up this morning the boiler wouldn't work so no hot water ( well have some in a storage tank) but when that's drawn off no more till it can be fixed luckily on my thermostat down stairs it has display for time and temp and settings no time on it Just F4 displayed well I know the make of the thermostat and found the fault codes on their site its a 3 valve system Y Plan Next to the fault codes are remedies one can tackle them selves 4 possible options on how to fix 2 I tried to no avail the other 2 means stripping the valve down to see what is wrong like a blockage so British Gas is calling tomorrow between 12 and 6pm so its going to be a long day with out hot water :eek: was told cause I was on a care plan it would be £60 but they made a mistake as my phone landline lost it's power and had to be recharged so called them to check and they apologised and said it's £99 quite a difference when you are on a low wage. So payed up and now will wait just hope he has parts on his van as plumber merchants might be closed as it's easter but there again he may be able to fix the valve hope so Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
14-04-17, 23:28
Just a tip, Bgas engineers only have access to parts for boilers up to a certain age. They tell you they can't get the parts and get a small commission on flogging a new boiler (or they used to).

But the parts are available far longer. It's just the Bgas contract.

Bigboyuk
15-04-17, 11:21
[QUOTE=MyNameIsTerry;1668543]Just a tip, Bgas engineers only have access to parts for boilers up to a certain age. They tell you they can't get the parts and get a small commission on flogging a new boiler (or they used to).

But the parts are available far longer. It's just the Bgas contract.[/QUOTE Thanks for the heads up on this Terry as when the thermostat/clock stopped working they were on about the same thing then so glad you reminded me on that It's quite a oldish system The Y Plan system that uses phone style plugs that plug in to a controller in the airing cupboard like I say I know where the problem is according to the Honeywell website powered the boiler on again after all night being switched off and it fired up for 10 secs then switched it self off again the 3 port valve is definitely sticking just want my hot back on not too bothered about the heating as I have got my coal fire at night and put extra layers on when I go to bed can afford to run the heating much as it's so expensive to have it on for more than a couple of hrs a day :) Cheers

Magic
15-04-17, 11:56
We pay so much a month fro BG engineer. They were supposed to have come out last week to service our boiler. I have a message on the phone to confirm it. We made arrangements to be in. Guess what? they said they could not come as they were to busy! We have to wait until May now. Hope they turn up BB x

Bigboyuk
15-04-17, 12:11
We pay so much a month fro BG engineer. They were supposed to have come out last week to service our boiler. I have a message on the phone to confirm it. We made arrangements to be in. Guess what? they said they could not come as they were to busy! We have to wait until May now. Hope they turn up BB xOMG Magic that's terrible in the mean time you could have Carbon Monoxide in the house I guess you phoned them straight back I would now be looking at some reduction off that so much a month I would certainly ask Terrible for you Magic and Thank you so do I :) Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
15-04-17, 13:51
We pay so much a month fro BG engineer. They were supposed to have come out last week to service our boiler. I have a message on the phone to confirm it. We made arrangements to be in. Guess what? they said they could not come as they were to busy! We have to wait until May now. Hope they turn up BB x

That happened to us last year too, Magic. It was annoying because It was a call on the day.

What annoys me about it is that they push you back months but I bet they service all the others in between. Pushing them back means bumping a whole schedule, I be get that, but it's poor from a service point of view add it feels like they're not trying.

We had ours months later and then the next time they come it will be based on the original date.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

At least it's now, Dave. Boilers often seem to go when the cold weather starts up. It's still a bit cold around 5 am at the moment though.

Many people would agree on the cost, it's been getting so expensive for years.

There was a guy at Changes who was going through a divorce and all he could afford was a one bed one room type place, like a bedsit. He said he could barely afford food so heating in winter was a no chance for him. I felt so sorry for him. He add usually in the same clothes too. It might me a bit more grateful for what I've got. He was a nice guy.

That guy I mentioned from Changes who volunteered at Park Hall said they burned all the waste logs they cut. Just a tip there if you are ever able to pick up :winks:

Magic
15-04-17, 14:54
Apparently, our own gas boiler service that we are paying for servicing for each month is paid for monthly about £20.if any parts have to be replaced there will be a £60 access to pay. Everything is going to pot. Everything is just getting so ridiculous.

Bigboyuk
15-04-17, 15:29
That happened to us last year too, Magic. It was annoying because It was a call on the day.

What annoys me about it is that they push you back months but I bet they service all the others in between. Pushing them back means bumping a whole schedule, I be get that, but it's poor from a service point of view add it feels like they're not trying.

We had ours months later and then the next time they come it will be based on the original date.

---------- Post added at 13:51 ---------- Previous post was at 13:36 ----------

At least it's now, Dave. Boilers often seem to go when the cold weather starts up. It's still a bit cold around 5 am at the moment though.

Many people would agree on the cost, it's been getting so expensive for years.

There was a guy at Changes who was going through a divorce and all he could avoid was a one bed one room type place. He said he could barely afford food so hearing in winter was a no chance for him. I felt so sorry for him. He add usually in the same clothes too. It might me a bit more grateful for what I've got. He was a nice guy.

That guy I mentioned from Changes who volunteered at Park Hall said they burned all the waste logs they cut. Just a tip there if you are ever able to pick up :winks: The Engineer turned up The Y valve had gone knackered strangely enough it seems as though BG can order a new one No further charges will apply so here's hoping the new part is the correct one as it works on a 24 Volt system Other wise it will cost £400 for new valve new clock, new cylinder stat and a rewire for the system The engineer has said this is the second Smart Fit Y plan system he has ever seen so quite rare really so fingers crossed everyone that it all goes well for me :) The other good thing depends on how you look at it is I still have the immersion heater so can at least get hot water and have a bath ;)

Does that Guy still goes to Changes groups do you know Terry? And yes it's worth knowing that about the wood is there a hut or building where they work from, so I could contact them? Cheers

---------- Post added at 15:29 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

Apparently, our own gas boiler service that we are paying for servicing for each month is paid for monthly about £20.if any parts have to be replaced there will be a £60 access to pay. Everything is going to pot. Everything is just getting so ridiculous. Tsat's a lot of money Magic to pay out I am on the Energy Plan with BG just pay a one off fee of £99 for the visit all parts are included as is any extra visits that my be needed to complete the job and no excess charge to pay either might be worth look at Magic Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
15-04-17, 15:36
I don't know if he still goes, Dave. We're at the other end of the city and he only went to the ones I did.

But he did tell me that the coordinator at Park Hall was fine with people taking the stuff as it was just waste anyway. This guy asked if they would be fine if he set up a business to sell the stuff and contribute back and the coordinator was interested in it. He gave me the coordinator's name, I've likely still got it if you want me to have a look? Maybe they would be happy with a small charitable donation, as long as it's not a business size truck full?

There is a visitors centre.

I don't know if he ever got around to setting the business up as he was trying to get work and did manage to get some but I drifted away not long after. I did used to see him out shopping but not for ages as I haven't been going to Longton much the last year. If I see him, I'll ask but I have no idea of if ever will.

Bigboyuk
15-04-17, 15:54
I don't know if he still goes, Dave. We're at the other end of the city and he only went to the ones I did.

But he did tell me that the coordinator at Park Hall was fine with people taking the stuff as it was just waste anyway. This guy asked if they would be fine if he set up a business to sell the stuff and contribute back and the coordinator was interested in it. He gave me the coordinator's name, I've likely still got it if you want me to have a look? Maybe they would be happy with a small charitable donation, as long as it's not a business size truck full?

There is a visitors centre.

I don't know if he ever got around to setting the business up as he was trying to get work and did manage to get some but I drifted away not long after. I did used to see him out shopping but not for ages as I haven't been going to Longton much the last year. If I see him, I'll ask but I have no idea of if ever will. So does the meeting still take place at park hall then? He may even still go do you know his name? Yes that would be handy to be able to speak to the coordinators name I do know they do come and go after a few years and fall back as just being members in a support group vey hand to know to keep my fire going it's a greedy pig Ha ha LOL :)_ Cheers

MyNameIsTerry
15-04-17, 16:04
Sorry i've confused you there. Park Hall is a seperate volunteering job he had. The Changes groups were the Sutherland Centre ones. The coordinator I was talking about is the one at Park Hall who will be employed as some form of ranger.

The guy I knew was called...Dave :biggrin: Really nice guy.

I'll have a look for that coordinator's name & number over weekend.