PDA

View Full Version : Starting a new job

NotCool
16-04-17, 14:52
So I'm having a job offer. I'm absolutely terrified, and since the day I heard about it, I'm under constant stress.

It's my first serious job, on contract (not signed yet), in business (being a lowly salesman/office worker) in a textile company. I have a history of quite intense panic attacks, and I was on the verge of one already in my interview when hearing about the work.

There are horrible scenarios running through my head, so so many fears connected to this job - going out of comfort zone, waking up early, committing to something, having responsibility, having at least -8 hours less of my free time, fear of not achieving goals, of getting humiliated in front of other employees (which are mostly women btw), of having a panic attack, of vomiting/having to go to bathroom frequently, not being able to escape etc. etc.. All of it. Plus there seems to be some kind of company trip coming soon, so no escape. The extent of my anxiety is immense, it's consuming me.

I assume others had similar problems and fears when they first started. How did you cope? Share your experiences please.

Citydeer
16-04-17, 18:22
So I'm having a job offer. I'm absolutely terrified, and since the day I heard about it, I'm under constant stress.

It's my first serious job, on contract (not signed yet), in business (being a lowly salesman/office worker) in a textile company. I have a history of quite intense panic attacks, and I was on the verge of one already in my interview when hearing about the work.

There are horrible scenarios running through my head, so so many fears connected to this job - going out of comfort zone, waking up early, committing to something, having responsibility, having at least -8 hours less of my free time, fear of not achieving goals, of getting humiliated in front of other employees (which are mostly women btw), of having a panic attack, of vomiting/having to go to bathroom frequently, not being able to escape etc. etc.. All of it. Plus there seems to be some kind of company trip coming soon, so no escape. The extent of my anxiety is immense, it's consuming me.

I assume others had similar problems and fears when they first started. How did you cope? Share your experiences please.

Congratulations on getting a job! You should be proud of yourself for even taking the first steps. That shows a whole lot of commitment and strength! And the fact that you even managed to get through an interview successfully and impress the people interviewing you, despite the fact you started to panic.

Remember that our fears are always worse than the reality of the situation we are fearing. You feel scared because you are imagining everything that could go wrong, but it won't be as bad as you think. Anxiety makes us assume the worst. You are scared of leaving your comfort zone, but comfort zones are not fixed - they extend based on our experiences. The thought of working scares you now, but that will change if you take the plunge. Believe in yourself! You've already come so far.

If worst comes to worst, you can always quit the job down the track if it is too much for you. You say you worry about not achieving your goals, but one thing is for certain - you won't achieve them if you don't put yourself out there. By at least trying, you're raising your chance of success.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NotCool
20-04-17, 18:43
Congratulations on getting a job! You should be proud of yourself for even taking the first steps. That shows a whole lot of commitment and strength! And the fact that you even managed to get through an interview successfully and impress the people interviewing you, despite the fact you started to panic.

Remember that our fears are always worse than the reality of the situation we are fearing. You feel scared because you are imagining everything that could go wrong, but it won't be as bad as you think. Anxiety makes us assume the worst. You are scared of leaving your comfort zone, but comfort zones are not fixed - they extend based on our experiences. The thought of working scares you now, but that will change if you take the plunge. Believe in yourself! You've already come so far.

If worst comes to worst, you can always quit the job down the track if it is too much for you. You say you worry about not achieving your goals, but one thing is for certain - you won't achieve them if you don't put yourself out there. By at least trying, you're raising your chance of success.

Good luck!

Thanks for the encouraging words. Your thoughts in the second paragraph turned true, as the real situation isn't as bad as my mind would catastrophize it. Most of my fears turned out to be hollow, albeit I do still have challenges in front of me, and a few times my anxiety and agoraphobia kicked in. But overall, it might be a good thing for the future. We'll see.

Citydeer
20-04-17, 18:48
Thanks for the encouraging words. Your thoughts in the second paragraph turned true, as the real situation isn't as bad as my mind would catastrophize it. Most of my fears turned out to be hollow, albeit I do still have challenges in front of me, and a few times my anxiety and agoraphobia kicked in. But overall, it might be a good thing for the future. We'll see.

That's so good to hear! Go you! It may not have been easy or anxiety free, but you jumped in head first and the world didn't collapse - you've proved to yourself you can do it. As you say, there will still be challenges in the future, but use the momentum you have gained already and believe in yourself that you can keep pushing forwards. Down the track you'll look back and see how far you've come - every journey starts with just one step at a time

florida94
23-04-17, 18:22
The most important thing is you put yourself out there and did your best. Congrats on landing such a job.

The thing to remember is that your thoughts can run a million miles, and it's okay if your mind works like that at times. The worry and feeling of being so lost in your day can catch up to you, and that is alright.

When worry strikes your mind, breathe in and out and focus on your breath. Focus on the task at hand that you can control. Our minds love to play tricks on us cuz it has nothing better to do....so give it something to do outside of thinking anxious thoughts.

You got this. :)

GlassPinata
23-04-17, 19:41
I am starting a new, more responsible position at my current job.
I am absolutely terrified as well.
Please let us know how you get on.
I'm sure- at least I hope- that you will settle in and adjust.

Best wishes!

NotCool
19-10-17, 21:38
Been at work since I posted the thread. There were many times when anxiety reared its ugly head, and I was on the verge of a full blown panic attack, seemingly out of nowhere, and had to go somewhere isolated (usually the bathroom stall, lol).

But overall, the experience is doing me good as it forced me to face some of my triggers. Being more financially independent is nice as well. But I don't think anxiety ever goes away, it just takes naps.