PDA

View Full Version : Smoking and Panic attacks and Anxiety

up a ladder
29-04-07, 20:46
I have smoked for all of my adult life (now 38) and have wanted to quit for a few years. I tried Ziaban once and I am positive it put me into a depression and a chap I work with gave up smoking using it, but his life literaly fell to bits after he became violent and aggressive.

Does smoking make panic attacks more likely and should I hold off trying again (with help from Mr Allan Carr) or am I better off waiting for things to calm down.

Any smokers or ex-smokers with any ideas.

Thanks

bottleblond
29-04-07, 21:16
I have heard things about that Ziaban and none of them good! If you really want to give up smoking then why not go to the doc and get some patches? either that or you could try something from he health food shop! Hypnotherapy is also a good idea but can be a tad expensive, i'm having that at the moment for my panic attacks and cost £35 per session, but if you want to give up then i suppose it would be worth it!

If you are going through a tough time at the moment then maybe you should hold off till you are feeling a little better, i'm a smoker but kow at this moment in time, i don't have the will power to give up!!!

Very best of luck with this!!
Love
Lisa
xxx

eastender
29-04-07, 21:18
I gave up for 6 weeks using nicotine patches, was on prozac and propanalol as well. It was just so easy! No cravings nothing, wonderful I thought I've cracked it! Then had a terrible personal shock, the anxiety was overwelming, I found some cigerettes, I tried 1, I calmed down! Now I'm afraid I'm back smoking! So for me it seems they calm me down in certain situations, when of course we are told that they make anxiety worse. I'd say try when things are going well, I intend to try again, the anxities bad enough without the health worry and expense of smoking too!

carl.h
29-04-07, 22:59
Cutting down smoking certainly made ME calmer as did giving up caffeine, hardly any attacks lately. I`m on the way to stopping altogether.

I often wonder why I do it, hell I worry enough about being poisoned by loads of other things yet the biggest poisons I willingly WANT to put in my body. Something wrong with my thinking here ???? Hmmmm

Tea is the other thing, have you seen those new adverts for it ? How to make yourself MORE alert while being calmed ???? Uh Uh I don`t need to be more alert thankyou so I`m on decaf coffee now and a lot calmer.

Zaiban has had bad things said about it and I know one of those was an increased chance of heart attack and I don`t need more of those. I have them all the time but the doctors say`s " Another panic attack Mr.H" :D :D ( Which is true actually, they are PA`s).