PDA

View Full Version : Social Anxiety - Choking fear

Hannah12
17-04-17, 14:03
Hi everyone, I just stumbled upon this website and hoping it can help me.

I have always had social anxiety for as long as I can remember but it wasnt so severe that it took over my life. I did notice it get worse around 3 years ago as I started avoiding situations. For me I am totally fine doing things with company like going shopping, going out, being in large crowds. But doing everyday tasks alone like going to shops alone etc were something I over thought and started avoiding. Through thinking about it more it seems to be the fear of running into someone that I'm going to have an awkward encounter with(as I never worry when I'm on holiday or in a different city about this), I have always feared awkward/uncomfortable situations that I cant get out of.

Anyways last year I was out for dinner with friends and had a scary choking incident that left me feeling traumatised. It triggered my first ever panic attack and ever since then I have suffered from severe anxiety/anxiety attacks. I had severe anxiety for about 2 months where I literally couldnt do anything, I spoke to my doctor and was prescribed a beta blocker to stop the effects of panic/anxiety attacks. Since then my anxiety has got a lot better and I dont take the medication every day - just when I need it. But I still suffer.

After the incident I couldnt even eat properly by myself for a while as I was so worried it would happen again but I got over that and started being able to eat by myself. But even eating with family around the table I would get really worked up and bring on an anxiety attack. But I forced myself to eat with my family every night and 4 months on I am starting to feel comfortable again doing that most of the time.

I have realised my social anxiety and the choking situation has caused me to fear eating in public settings/with other people incase it happens again. Its not even the fear of choking its the fear of making a scene. Its weird even if I'm walking somewhere with friends and we are eating I dont feel as anxious about it so its definitely being in a situation like siting round a table that brings it on. The anxiety actually causes me to get a really tight throat which makes physically much harder to swallow and makes me panic more. I get pins and needles all over and feel super light headed like I am going to faint. So the symptoms make me panic more.

Right now I just dont see how I'm ever going to get over it. Its horrible worrying about something that has never concerned me before and I feel stupid for worrying about it and cant even speak to my friends about it. I was considering CBT but I dont know how well that would work. If anyone has any tips I would be so grateful. I just dont want to have this worry for the rest of my life.

Thanks
Hannah