PDA

View Full Version : Why do we worry so much about lymph nodes?

becca98
18-04-17, 08:22
I worry about them myself but why do you think it is? We all have them and nearly every website states they are 1cm, so why do us with anixety worry when we feel one or two nodes(I only feel mine when I dig) I hate anixety!

Gary A
18-04-17, 08:37
Simple.

There are 200+ nodes in our bodies. Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system, so the mind of the HA sufferer reasons that those nodes are 200+ chances of getting cancer.

becca98
18-04-17, 09:32
Simple.

There are 200+ nodes in our bodies. Lymphoma is a cancer of the lymphatic system, so the mind of the HA sufferer reasons that those nodes are 200+ chances of getting cancer.

Yes but we have so many other things that can get cancer, why do we all seem to poke and prld little glands!:roflmao:

swajj
18-04-17, 09:43
I never worried about mine and my HA was pretty severe. I guess it's like the compulsion to Google. People know it is the worse thing for their HA but they do it anyway. So feeling your lymph nodes is just another compulsion for some HA sufferers.

axolotl
18-04-17, 09:47
I may be wrong, but I think there's been a big glut of lymph node prodders on here lately, I wonder if there's been something in the media that's set people off?

The thing is HA gives everyone their own "thing". Some people it's ALS, some people it's heart issues, some brain tumours, some schizophrenia, some various random cancers. I'm not sure lymph node fear is any different or distinct to any of the rest.

We all have them and nearly every website states they are 1cm

The thing is why bother reading "nearly every" website about lymph nodes at all? You know nodes are there, and what they do. Let them get on with it. When people go digging around for lymph nodes I wonder what exactly they're expecting to find? How on earth are they getting "measurements"? How do they expect to find problems if they don't know what they're supposed to be feeling in the first place?

I've had all my own irrational fears though, and I can be blase about lymphoma because it's not in my suite of fears. I think because I've seen it in a family member I know it's a dramatic thing you'd know about, not something you'd have to get your fingers into every crevice of your chest and neck to find something.

becca98
18-04-17, 09:49
I never worried about mine and my HA was pretty severe. I guess it's like the compulsion to Google. People know it is the worse thing for their HA but they do it anyway. So feeling your lymph nodes is just another compulsion for some HA sufferers.

I see, mine are small and all normal but I worry - my dads on the other hand can feel all his 1/2cm and doesnt worry at all, even doctors dont seem to be worried about his. Weird how anxiety works

swajj
18-04-17, 09:52
Be honest. Have you been reading all the lymph node related threads here? Because just like Google NMP can be detrimental to your mental health.

becca98
18-04-17, 10:08
I may be wrong, but I think there's been a big glut of lymph node prodders on here lately, I wonder if there's been something in the media that's set people off?

The thing is HA gives everyone their own "thing". Some people it's ALS, some people it's heart issues, some brain tumours, some schizophrenia, some various random cancers. I'm not sure lymph node fear is any different or distinct to any of the rest.

The thing is why bother reading "nearly every" website about lymph nodes at all? You know nodes are there, and what they do. Let them get on with it. When people go digging around for lymph nodes I wonder what exactly they're expecting to find? How on earth are they getting "measurements"? How do they expect to find problems if they don't know what they're supposed to be feeling in the first place?

I've had all my own irrational fears though, and I can be blase about lymphoma because it's not in my suite of fears. I think because I've seen it in a family member I know it's a dramatic thing you'd know about, not something you'd have to get your fingers into every crevice of your chest and neck to find something.

I see what you mean, my nan had the illness and hers grew very fast, with a lot of symptoms and pain, but you see one thing on the internet with a person stating they have no symptoms and it worries you sick, I don't know why I fear this so much, I have seen doctors say this is one of the most curable cancers, but it doesnt stick only the bad stuff. :mad:

axolotl
18-04-17, 12:29
Be honest. Have you been reading all the lymph node related threads here? Because just like Google NMP can be detrimental to your mental health.

I agree with this. My last HA spiral was largely caused by seeing a fear I hadn't thought of on here, which turned what should have been a benign and reassuring test result I had into blind panic.

There are a lot of node posts at the moment, with some people articulating their fears in (IMHO) unnecessary detail. This site can bring reassurance when you're in the right frame of mind, but at other times fan the flames.

becca98
18-04-17, 12:34
I agree with this. My last HA spiral was largely caused by seeing a fear I hadn't thought of on here, which turned what should have been a benign and reassuring test result I had into blind panic.

There are a lot of node posts at the moment, with some people articulating their fears in (IMHO) unnecessary detail. This site can bring reassurance when you're in the right frame of mind, but at other times fan the flames.

I agree, this site for me at the moment, is helping.
I also don't want to have to check these forums though, I want to have NO anxiety :unsure: I am getting there though, hope you're okay

M00nlight
19-04-17, 00:58
I'm one of these nodes people. It all started because I randomly felt my neck and found something wasn't there before. Just lost my close neighbour to head and neck cancer and another friend was just diagnosed with lymphoma and freaked out. Yep I googled.. when I Google symptoms it's for reassurance.. I look for the good stories! And found this site where lots of people have the same anxiety... i didn't even realise that what I was feeling had a name! Not feeling alone in the midst of a spiral is comforting for me.

I guess lymph nodes are a big thing because they are prone to swelling for various reasons and if you HA is cancer related it's a big trigger.

snowghost57
19-04-17, 01:25
I have no clue why so many people have a phobia of their lymph nodes. I don't even know where mine are! There certainly more common cancers. I used to google worry, anxiety, how to overcome it, etc. I stopped. It just feeds the anxiety parasite that grows with each anxious thought. I read somewhere that the brain can only concentrate on one thought at a time. Why waste any precious time we have on this earth with worry? I'm better, however, I more work to do on my anxiety and I work on it each day by staying focused on what is directly in front of me, not the past, not the future.

GlassPinata
19-04-17, 02:59
I think we are conditioned to fear (and check our bodies for) "lumps" and "masses". We associate these with cancer, although there are many types of cancer that do not involve solid tumors, and do not present as a lump. But some of the more well-known ones do (breast, testicular, etc) and so we are trained to check our bodies for- and freak out about- "lumps".
Since we are not trained medical professionals, we do not have the knowledge or perspective to realize that many lumps and masses represent normal parts of our anatomy.
So when we find a "lump" anywhere, we automatically leap to *CANCER*. And when doctors tell us we are incorrect and the lump is not indicative of cancer, we have trouble believing that.

That's my theory, anyway.
Nobody likes to find a "lump" anywhere, especially in a place where they are pretty sure there was no lump before.
But that is the nature of lymph nodes, apparently. They come and go. Or sometimes, they come and stay... but even then, it does not necessarily indicate a malignancy.

Anyway, those are my thoughts, but as most people here know, I struggle terribly with lymph node anxiety, and I am much better at giving advice than at following it. :(

---------- Post added at 01:59 ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 ----------

I find this forum very reassuring, by the way.
I do not necessarily seek reassurance here (I mean, if a real-life doctor is unable to reassure me that my children and I are healthy, it's unrealistic to expect that bunch of strangers on the internet will be able to).
I seek understanding, and a place to vent the fears and terrors that I live with, and I have found that here.
I HAVE to talk about the things that scare me. Otherwise, the burden is too heavy to bear.
And there's really not a place I can do that, in real life. People don't understand. They think I'm nuts. Maybe I am, but I just need to talk about it sometimes with people who will understand.
That's all.
And it does make me feel better.
I'm sorry if it makes other people feel worse.
I do not expect reassurances that my fears are unfounded. I would not believe them anyway. I only hope to be heard and understood by other people who know this same fear.

Thelegend27
19-04-17, 03:39
I hopped on the lymph train about 7 months ago when I stumbled across a very palpable node on my neck I found a total of 4 and my doctor isn't worried after I got a ultrasound and complete blood count I was told nothing looked abnormal and to stop worrying about it and stop poking then. But my anxiety runs things so I continue to worry. I'm guilty of posting threads here about nodes but I do it because I hope to find someone that can relate to me fears.

GlassPinata
19-04-17, 13:57
I hopped on the lymph train about 7 months ago when I stumbled across a very palpable node on my neck I found a total of 4 and my doctor isn't worried after I got a ultrasound and complete blood count I was told nothing looked abnormal and to stop worrying about it and stop poking then. But my anxiety runs things so I continue to worry. I'm guilty of posting threads here about nodes but I do it because I hope to find someone that can relate to me fears.

If you check out the thread i just posted entitled "My Story, continued", it may offer some hope.
I am now realizing that every lump in the neck region isn't necessarily even a lymph node. Many of them may be tendons, cartilage, or other natural structures, and we're just assuming they are lymph nodes.